PDA

View Full Version : Anyone that fly fishes read this!

desertfisherman11
05-18-2011, 12:42 PM
Is the bassin on the fly good or bad in socal.

Is the panfishin on the fly good or bad in socal.

TheAsianGuy
05-18-2011, 04:32 PM
Fly for bassin..hm..haven't got any luck yet.

Panfishes: I use fly fishing tackles (Betty's bug variety, Bass Pro fly lures, homemade fake lures) with my spin reels using a bit of a float weight, and *WHAM* Lipping like crazy, and some got deep gutted. So far, anything resemble a dime or quarter size floating bug (spiders, cricket, dragonfly, even a fly), they'll attack it. Early spring to mid summer, anything resemble a nymph about a foot below water, they'll attack it real fast. Hope that helps.

Viejo
05-18-2011, 04:33 PM
Yes....to both

Like all fishing it can be both. It all depends on choice of fly...presentation and whether there's fish or not. Pan fish seem to go nuts for surface flies as well as any well presented nymph. Woolie buggers seem to attract bass like no other flies although many fish flies that resemble traditional Bass offerings.

desertfisherman11
05-18-2011, 05:22 PM
thanks guys thinking about fly fishing...

fishmounter
05-18-2011, 06:38 PM
Fly fishing for both can be really good at some So Cal lakes. Just like anywhere else, you have to find the fish to have good fishing.

tacklejunkie
05-18-2011, 06:42 PM
It took me 2.5 outings to catch a 3.5lb lmb on shore with an 8wt floating line Okuma starter fly rod at a high pressure Socal lake.
I used a "Hot flash minnow" fly.
Deadly looking little thing.
Picked it out as the most bassy looking fly from BPS on a whim.

Picture of it on this board somewhere. Heck of a fight.