PDA

View Full Version : Halibut fishing/ or just help in general :)

fishnbug11
05-17-2011, 12:29 PM
Hey all im really new to this so bare with me if you can, after living in Santa Monica for 20 years and fishing off all the piers from SM to Redondo, im curious on going to fish on shore for Halibuts.

I am now livivng in Rancho Cucamonga(egypt):LOL: so basically im only a typical weekend warrior.

So what im asking is i need HELP!

I have been going to the piers lately(redondo+SM) only to catch small macs and sardines. We, my son (9 yrs) and i went to HB/newport pier last weekend with nothing but wind burn:Embarrassed:, so i think its off to shore fish for halibuts( i think ) but its all new to me. like where to go and what to use.

thanks in advance!

bones
05-17-2011, 01:07 PM
Start here.....Written by a good friend.

http://fishingnetwork.net/forum4/showthread.php?41562-Intro-So-you-want-to-catch-halibut-from-the-surf

fishnbug11
05-17-2011, 02:54 PM
OMG!!! that was awesome thanks so much Bones! So i can fish anywhere along the coast?

ghetto dad
05-17-2011, 03:08 PM
I know you want Halibut...but you might also (considering you have a 9 year old) want to consider doing some perch fishing on the beaches too...

check the surf reports forum....its been pretty good.....and it doesnt involve much tackle, etc...

have fun

GD

ghetto dad
05-17-2011, 03:11 PM
1. 6 lb test
2. 1/2 oz sliding sinkers
3. small black swivels
4. small beads
5. #6 Mosquito Hooks
6. 1 pack of GULP! camo sandworms

Carolina rigged....

GD

pm me if you have any other questions that I might be able to help you with....Ill do my best...

fishnbug11
05-17-2011, 04:27 PM
thanks everyone, hope to post some picures this weekend!! weather permitting:)

Which Way Out
05-17-2011, 04:42 PM
thanks everyone, hope to post some picures this weekend!! weather permitting:)

Like the pros above said X's 10
Good luck, have fun and Welcome to FNN

bsp
05-17-2011, 05:31 PM
Here's a very good general intro to surf fishing in general and perch fishing also written by a good friend.

http://fishingnetwork.net/forum4/showthread.php?13495-SURF-PERCH-101

brad1
05-17-2011, 06:36 PM
I've cought alot of flattys off texas riggin zoom shad 6"seems to work well for me, ...the t rig also keeps the weeds off while you jig it off the bottom...I also seem to find that they like the dark backs and a lighter stomach shad....silver with a shin on them like the gill flashes that the shad give off....good luck bratha have fun :)

DockRat
05-17-2011, 07:05 PM
I know you want Halibut...but you might also (considering you have a 9 year old) want to consider doing some perch fishing on the beaches too...
GD

Thats good advice. Get your kid catching perch on his own, once he is on his own baiting, casting, C&R ing then you can fish Halibut while he is busy fishing next to him.
DR

DockRat
05-17-2011, 07:10 PM
1. 6 lb test
2. 1/2 oz sliding sinkers
3. small black swivels
4. small beads
5. #6 Mosquito Hooks
6. 1 pack of GULP! camo sandworms
Carolina rigged....
GD

Cut the 6" Camo Gulp Sandworms in 1/2 or 1/3
1 1/2" to 3" each
DR

fishnbug11
05-17-2011, 10:02 PM
WOW!!! thanks a ton for all the info guys...this is why i joined this site, i appreciate everything you guys posted, hope to talk again soon!!! should be out near NP or redondo this weekend. PM me if you have any hot spots for me to try.... lol

ghetto dad
05-17-2011, 10:08 PM
Cut the 6" Camo Gulp Sandworms in 1/2 or 1/3
1 1/2" to 3" each
DR

lol...my bad..i knew i forgot something

OR

purchase the 2" pre-cuts....that way you dont have to worry about cutting them.....

Good luck man..were looking forward to your reports!

GD

Oban
05-17-2011, 10:37 PM
I've recently started surf fishing too. The people on this forum are great. Especially the surf fishermen. Very friendly and welcoming to the sport. Bones' link is what helped me get started. This one too: http://fishingnetwork.net/forum4/showthread.php?55973-Five-Steps-to-ensure-a-good-surf-fishing-excursion!
Don't forget a towel or something to set your gear on, if you pack a little heavier, like I do.

I've done decent recently at Seal Beach. Been there three times in the past 4 weeks, mostly because its a straight shot 210-605. Started out with a Bass Pro XPS jerk bait. One of the ones that cost 2 or 3 dollars. Three short halibut on it. Loving it so much I upgraded to the more expensive stuff. Also got lots of hits on Gulp! ghost shrimp and sandworms.

I also agree with Ghetto Dad and perching. Always fun, and really easy. I have been teaching my sister to fish on them. Can almost always catch fish that way. I have yet to get skunked in the surf because of Ghetto Dad's advice.

fishnbug11
05-18-2011, 12:47 PM
thanks everyone so much, hope to see you out there!!!