PDA

View Full Version : Need boat restoration referral

Sh1mano
05-17-2011, 09:39 AM
Hey guys,

So a buddy of mine just picked up a boat but it definitely needs some work before taking her out to do some fishing. It's a 1969 Wiemans 16"6'. Is there anybody here on these boards who specialize in boat restoration? Otherwise is there anybody you know who specializes in bringing boats up to speed?

thanks in advance for any feedback.

Dr. MindBendo
05-17-2011, 10:15 AM
When you say boat restoration, what areas specifically are you talking about? You can do most of the the stuff yourself depending on obviously, the difficulty of the task. Does it need new stringers, new carpet, new paint, etc...

DockRat
05-17-2011, 08:07 PM
When you say boat restoration, what areas specifically are you talking about? You can do most of the the stuff yourself depending on obviously, the difficulty of the task. Does it need new stringers, new carpet, new paint, etc...

Use caution, restore a old boat can cost alot of $$$
Just fix what is broke and spend as little as possible.
If he is going to spend alot then it might be money better spent on something newer.

A friend of mine restored his Grandpas 1962 22' Glasspar
New 350 Chevy and Volvo outdrive was almost $20,000
+ New paint, bait tank, gas tank, electronics, custom tinted windows.
He spent over $30,000 on it. It was a $500 boat before.
Now it is worth $10,000 - $15,000 maybe, after spending $30,000 ?
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y94/Ozweaver/The%20Wood%20Duck%20Collection/IMG_0858.jpg
http://i620.photobucket.com/albums/tt284/mGasbie/Water%20hole/1.jpg
DR

Sh1mano
05-17-2011, 09:45 PM

Thanks for the response. I guess that's my point really....we don't know exactly what the boat will need in order for it to be entirely water worthy and fishing ready. Me and my friend have very limited boating experience and I guess what we're really looking for is more like a consultant. Somebody who can take one look at the boat and say..."You're gonna need to fix this"..... "You'll likely need to have this fixed"..."You may want to invest in having this repaired"...and so on and so on. DocRat mentioned that it could potentially cost us up the whaazooo to bring it up to speed but we don't need all the bells and whistles....we just want to get into the water and start fishing. Anyways, here are a couple of pics:

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff33/gdeguz1/Boat/recent002.jpg

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff33/gdeguz1/Boat/recent001.jpg

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff33/gdeguz1/Boat/recent004.jpg

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff33/gdeguz1/Boat/recent007.jpg

DockRat
05-18-2011, 06:15 AM
Better with pics. OK you hav a Ski Boat with a outboard.

How long has it been sitting.
1st, Install the battery and crank it over with Ear Muffs hooked up to a garden hose.
You want to do this with water running to get the impellor wet (water pump).

Is it a Pre Mix or Auto Lube set up ?
With a 2 stroke you need to mix 2 stroke oil in with the gas or it has a oil tank and is self lubricating. 50/1 mix ?
Smell the gas. If over a year old then drain it and add 10 gallons of new. Change fuel filter.
Check and lube the moving parts on the motor, Carburator controls, shifter any thing that moves.
Use PB Blaster or Liquid Wrench not WD40.

Try to start it. You need to read up on starting and choke procedure.

Does it run ? Do a compression check. If the motor don't run having things like new life jackets, carpet ect will do you no good. Motor first.

If the motor is ok then you need to change the impellor 1st before taking it out.
Old impellors are rubber and the should be changed every year or too. Use a old impellor and the rubber fins break then you blow up the engine in 30 seconds and have big $ problems.

Go to this website for more answers.

http://www.outboardmotor.biz/

Call this guy Jose (mobile mechanic) 562-607-9210, 20 year outboard mechanic for start up and impellor change if you want help.

Once the motor checks out, then start your 'restoration'
Do 1 thing at a time, Start something, finish it.

NEVER start tearing apart multiple projects at once. (typical rookie mistake)
Good Luck, DR

DockRat
05-18-2011, 06:20 AM
After a second look. I would vacumn out the leaves and it is good to go.
Just clean it. Forget restoring it, just use it.
Pick up a boating rule book. learn the laws on what you need to be 100% legal.
Don't mess with the controls with the motor in the up position.
DR

Socal Bassman
05-19-2011, 08:30 AM
If it has been sitting awhile, drain out all the gas and replace with fresh gas.
Pre mix gas with 50:1 ratio of two cycle motor oil.
Replace fuel hose with new hoses.
Thoroughly check the transom for soft spots.
If needed, install new bilge pump.
Run the motor with muffs.
Make sure all electrical connections are tight and free of corrosion.

Dr. MindBendo
05-19-2011, 09:02 AM
The boat looks rough. I would also check the trailer to make sure it's safe to use. I would remove the wheels to inspect the brakes and to see how badly rusted the area might be. As far as the exterior you could try wet sanding it and then polish it up to bring some luster out. Clean up the seats and give it a good vacuum. I think the guys above gave good advice on the outboard. I would definitely not spend much money on trying to restore it because the money you put in will not be a return investment. Check that transom since it's and older boat. If it's corroded don't bother working on the boat and get rid of it. Good luck with the boat.

Sh1mano
05-19-2011, 01:44 PM
Thanks you guys! All the info above is very helpful and insightful. Hopefully after all is said and done, we'll be able to get her in the water and start doing some fishing!

diamondbear
05-20-2011, 11:13 AM
BOAT - Stands for , Break Out Another Thousand , ha

laserbrn
05-20-2011, 12:29 PM
That boat's not realistic. If you just want something to get out and FISH on go get a fishing boat. A little aluminum fishing boat can be had for a helluva lot cheaper than it will be to get that boat running. Look to spend about $2000.00 and you'll be barking up the right tree.

You try to fix this boat and BEFORE you even work on the boat you'll realize the costs of having a boat will kill you.

Let's just start off the top of the head here...
Anchor/Rope
Dock Lines/Ropes
Fire Extinguisher
Life Vests/Throwable Cushion
Fish Finder
Trolling motor
Marine Batteries
Registration
Insurance (Not for when something happens to your boat, but for when you bump someone elses)
Rod Holders
Ice Chests
Trailer lights/Safety Equipment
Annual Passes for both vehichle and boat to the local fishing hole

After these little buggers keep naggin away at you and you finally have a boat that is worth taking out, you need plenty of fishing gear and it's going to get out of hand. Rod's, Reels, Rodholders, Nets, tackle, bait tank, blah, blah, blah, that list goes about as far as you let it.

It's a big investment in something that was free....

I don't think it would be advisable to do all of these things to that boat and we haven't talked about the fixing it part yet. These are just things I can think of off the top of my head that ANY boat will need and the reason that a "free" or "cheap" boat really isn't always a good thing to keep.

Go out, spend $2000.00 and get a boat that has all of those things, runs and all you have to do is worry about fishin' off of it. The cost will be the same, the boat will be appropriate, and you'll be out fishing in no time.