PDA

View Full Version : Ranger 85 Two Day Slay Session: May 14-15 2011

Ambassadorhawg
05-16-2011, 05:04 PM
Another great trip for the books!

We had a full boat and a bit of weather to deal with. Cap't Frank was trying to decide on where to go to try and stay away from the bulk of the wind and swell. At the group meeting prior to departure, he suggested that we start out around SBI and then try to skip over to San Nic for day two. The gang agreed and we were off...

Hadn't been to SBI in years and I am glad we went because it was bendo on the Ling-things! I had 8 fish, mostly around 15 pounds with one or two bigger and one or two smaller. Seemed like everyone had at least one big hawg Ling. Some guys caught as many as 15! Anyway, we ended up with full limits of Lings on day one, with 132!!! SICK!

We also had some mixed junk including way too many of the super endangered Bocs. Reds were fairly absent out there.

Day two was spent at San Nic as planned. The weather had come down a bit. We started early on the Halibut drifts and ended up with 3 fish, nothing huge. It was another great year for red fishing out there. Most ended up with a full or half sack of quality reds in the 3-4 pound class. I saw a bunch of 5 pounders in the mix as well. We also had the other usual bottom grabbers mixed in and even a few more of the bigger variety Lings which were released. We watched at least two huge 15 pound class Yelloweyes float away...what a waste! Dumb law!!!

As always, the crew was very helpful and very friendly with great attitudes. The cook made wonderful meals. Cap't Frank really has a fabulous thing going on aboard his sportboat, I highly recommend it!!!

Now...gonna keep an eye on that GARRR that is terrorizing our coastal waters. Can't wait to go "AHHHHHH!!!" when I'm bite on the surface iron!

ghetto dad
05-16-2011, 05:40 PM
damn man...reports like this NEEEEDDDDD PICS!!!! lol

great job brother....way to slay some cod!!!!

GD

DockRat
05-16-2011, 06:24 PM
Insane Ling bite, sounds like a good trip.
DR

Ambassadorhawg
05-16-2011, 07:12 PM
damn man...reports like this NEEEEDDDDD PICS!!!! lol

great job brother....way to slay some cod!!!!

GD

I took a few short video clips but no pics. Cap't Frank took a bunch of pics of us holding those fatty Ling-a-saurus's. I will call my friend who speaks with Frank regularly and ask him to ask Frank to email the pics...

ghetto dad
05-16-2011, 07:17 PM
I took a few short video clips but no pics. Cap't Frank took a bunch of pics of us holding those fatty Ling-a-saurus's. I will call my friend who speaks with Frank regularly and ask him to ask Frank to email the pics...

yeah man....i cant afford SW trips anymore..I live vicariously through you and your reports! :( lol

GD

Ambassadorhawg
05-16-2011, 08:22 PM
yeah man....i cant afford SW trips anymore..I live vicariously through you and your reports! :( lol

GD

I'm pretty much in the same boat as you. I only fish about 3 or 4 times in S/W each year anymore. What a nightmare!!!

Ambassadorhawg
05-17-2011, 09:51 AM
Here's a few more pics of us with some fatty Reds and Lings...

Cangler
05-17-2011, 09:57 AM
Ha .. I saw the fish count yesterday , im glad a FNN was on the boat

jumpman
05-19-2011, 02:59 PM
Ha .. I saw the fish count yesterday , im glad a FNN was on the boat

jealous!!!! what boat was this? and what port? i am not sure i know who capt. frank is...

ROUTE666
05-19-2011, 03:35 PM
jealous!!!! What boat was this? And what port? I am not sure i know who capt. Frank is...

channel islands,ranger 85

murrieta angler
05-19-2011, 05:12 PM
Dangggg!!!!
You wonder the dinosaurs went extinct...:Big Grin:
Nice pics Hog.
Robert
<><

CI Sportfishing
05-19-2011, 07:41 PM
Here's a few more that I received from Captain Frank Ursitti, just to add to the story :)
Liz

olfishergal
05-19-2011, 07:54 PM
one of my favprite SW rides..........