PDA

View Full Version : MDR Barraduda 5/14/2011

fishinone
05-16-2011, 12:03 PM
Six of us went in two boats out of MDR on Saturday morning to catch some of the barracuda that we've been hearing about.

This is the first time we've had the opportunity to get a picture of Bong's boat under way.

http://i454.photobucket.com/albums/qq265/fishinone/MDR%20Barracuda%2005-14-2011/IMG00589-20110514-0634.jpg
This is the "Fly Boy", Bong is driving, Scott is on the other side and Don is outside.

We motored around looking for the cuda and birds. It was so overcast at first that nothing was going on. Later we came back to the area where we were at first and found the birds and the fleet.

Everyone tried to stay back from the party boats but smaller boats drift faster than they do.

Most of the party boats were polite but defensive.

The Victory was abusive, of everyone around, yelling insults over the loadspeaker.. What a group of idiots! How do they stay in business? Don't they understand that the people in the boats around them are their customers on other days? The Captain, must just lack understanding!

It wasn't wide open for us but we caught fish.

I was first on the board with a big one. It followed my silver and blue iron up from down deep and hit 20 ft from the boat. It made a couple good runs after the first time we tried to get it in the net, then as I got it near the boat again a seal came up right there at it. I dropped my rod tip as it took off and backed off of my drag hoping to let it outrun the seal. I guess it worked but the cuda didn't want to come back to the boat after that. She really put up a fight. She weighed 7lb 13oz.

http://i454.photobucket.com/albums/qq265/fishinone/MDR%20Barracuda%2005-14-2011/IMG00597-20110514-1444.jpg
We didn't take a pic right then but we took this one as we approached the dock later.

http://i454.photobucket.com/albums/qq265/fishinone/MDR%20Barracuda%2005-14-2011/IMG00592-20110514-1152.jpg
Pich was next up.

http://i454.photobucket.com/albums/qq265/fishinone/MDR%20Barracuda%2005-14-2011/IMG00594-20110514-1153.jpg
He got 2 from down deep, while Mike and I got short hits up high.

I picked up my 9ft Spinning rod with 10lb super line and a 30lb steel leader, thinking that a barracuda would be a blast on it. Mike said he got short hit as I was about to cast, so I cast in that direction. The leadhead and rubber was slammed and chopped right off along with a 12" steel leader.

Mike finally hooked up later in the day, then got another soon after. I forgot to get picture of Mike with his fish,

Here's our take for the day.
http://i454.photobucket.com/albums/qq265/fishinone/MDR%20Barracuda%2005-14-2011/IMG00595-20110514-1442.jpg

The FlyBoy reported that they never got a hit.

Those in the know tell me that fresh barracuda is very good and frozen is so so.

We cooked it up right away.

http://i454.photobucket.com/albums/qq265/fishinone/MDR%20Barracuda%2005-14-2011/IMG00599-20110514-1844.jpg
This is grilled barracuda.

http://i454.photobucket.com/albums/qq265/fishinone/MDR%20Barracuda%2005-14-2011/IMG00600-20110514-1845.jpg
This is deep fried barracuda.

It was very good fixed both ways but I was so tired that the deep fried was really hitting the spot.

Ifishtoolittle
05-16-2011, 01:45 PM
Nice job! How do you eat all those cudas? I got 5lbs of filets off on a single cuda and I've still yet to finish it.

fishinone
05-16-2011, 02:09 PM
Nice job! How do you eat all those cudas? I got 5lbs of filets off on a single cuda and I've still yet to finish it.

Yea really, I understand.

I gave it to big family and invited myself to dinner.:LOL: I didn't even have to cook it. I did get the filleting duty but I enjoy that.

Thisfool
05-16-2011, 03:55 PM
cool good job on geting on the fish.

i think i seen you guys out there i was on the sothern cal. we dint do to good we got to the area caught a few fish but then lost the fish and never found them again

fishinone
05-16-2011, 04:19 PM
cool good job on geting on the fish.

i think i seen you guys out there i was on the sothern cal. we dint do to good we got to the area caught a few fish but then lost the fish and never found them again

I didn't notice the Southern Cal but I wasn't wearing my glasses most of the time. There were a lot of boats out there, the place was a zoo. We actually did better as the pack would drift ahead of us. When the boats thinned out the fish were coming up again.

DockRat
05-16-2011, 06:32 PM
Slime Stick Slayage. The fleet was a mile outside KH Sunday but then got blown out by 10 am.
By noon everybody was gone and the Redondo Special didn't run the 1:00 boat. 30 mph gusts.
DR

striker
05-16-2011, 11:47 PM
The Victory[/B] was abusive, of everyone around, yelling insults over the loadspeaker.. What a group of idiots! How do they stay in business? Don't they understand that the people in the boats around them are their customers on other days? The Captain, must just lack understanding!

heard that several pb'ers were fishing really close to the cattle boats. victory is an awesome boat. fish kill'n machine.

koifish
05-17-2011, 11:28 AM
Nice catch Ron. I went yesterday on 1/2 day. It was wide open...and weather was nice. everyone got limit. I guess the weather was not good on Sat that you went.

fishinone
05-17-2011, 11:37 AM
Nice catch Ron. I went yesterday on 1/2 day. It was wide open...and weather was nice. everyone got limit. I guess the weather was not good on Sat that you went.

Did you post on FNN? I didn't see a post. Post those picks that you sent to me, that was a nice catch.

fishinone
05-17-2011, 11:39 AM
heard that several pb'ers were fishing really close to the cattle boats. victory is an awesome boat. fish kill'n machine.

They can catch all of the fish they want while yelling insults over the loudspeaker, but hat won't cause me to give them any more of my money.

gletemfeelsteelgary
05-19-2011, 12:37 PM
congrats on the slimestick action.....way ta keel dem dawgs !

Try baking them..

U definately have the right idea about keeping them on ice when eating...ya gotta get em right on ice..they taste so much better that way...

nice work....

whats up with that huge surf rod ?

dayam.....long-stick'n it huh : )

eaither way...congrats !

gletemfeelsteelgary
05-19-2011, 12:42 PM
P.S.
Bleed 'em too

koifish
05-19-2011, 02:14 PM
I am able to look at the pix at home now. I know Pich...hahaha...good man.

koifish
05-19-2011, 02:15 PM

Try baking them..

U definately have the right idea about keeping them on ice when eating...ya gotta get em right on ice..they taste so much better that way...

nice work....

eaither way...congrats !

hahaha nice long surf rod...

jumpman
05-19-2011, 02:52 PM
sounds like a fun day, great report. i was out there the same day and had a great time as well. Cooked mine up with onion lawrys and a little garlic salt. very good i dont listen to people saying its not..

fishinone
05-23-2011, 12:45 PM

Try baking them..

nice work....

eaither way...congrats !

I gotta get out there and try for a few more.

I don't think Mike wants the blood in his boat.

hahaha nice long surf rod...

He was the hot stick with that surf rod. I may have to switch.

sounds like a fun day, great report. i was out there the same day and had a great time as well. Cooked mine up with onion lawrys and a little garlic salt. very good i dont listen to people saying its not..

What I had was good. If they don't like it, that will leave more for us.:LOL: