PDA

View Full Version : Curado or revo?

jumpman
05-15-2011, 11:51 PM
ok guys i need some help. i was about to buy a curado 300 for throwing my iron and got thrown for a loop. The revo by abu garcia seems pretty bad arse, seems like the same secs with 22 pounds of drag but yet can hold more line on the spool. however i LOVE LOVE LOVE shimanos great customer service? help me out advice is needed.
TIGHT LINES

bman90278
05-16-2011, 06:11 AM
I think if you are considering a Curado 300 or a Revo, you need to think seriously about a Revo STX. I'm saying this because I don't think a Revo S is a fair comparison to a Curado 300. I used to own a Revo S and I decided to upgrade recently to a STX and love it. I was also thinking about a Curado 300, but I was already a happy Revo owner and figured why switch brands if I was already happy with my Revo.
The STX has great casting and an incredible drag. It has an easy external knob for adjusting the Linear Magnetic brakes as well as the Mechanical Brake adjustment. Keep in mind it also has Corrosion Resistant (HPCR) bearings too. You should read up on both reels and check them out in person and see what u like. I'm sure u can't go wrong either way.

b

Which Way Out
05-16-2011, 08:05 AM
I have a Revo Toro 60 on a 8' 6" med. Shimano Claurs that when I get the cash will get bumped up to a Shimano Tearmar rod.
I can't say enough about the factory service. I found a factory authorized service center in Iowa and sent them a ProMax 6600 that was 20ish years old. Got a call from them about it once it got there and was offered a Toro 50 or 60 in trade + some cash. Cost to fix was a push so I decided to do the trade in and selected the 60. My 6600 was not rated for saltwater and the bearings were shot. I did like that reel but the Revo Toro 60 is light years ahead of anything that's 20 years old.
So I would not worry about warranty or service on them as long as if you need it and use a factory authorized service center for any needed warranty work. Mine so far is good as gold. A little big for the Claurs but works never the less. On a Tearmar or equivalent rod it should throw a Iron with ease.

jumpman
05-19-2011, 02:26 PM
I think if you are considering a Curado 300 or a Revo, you need to think seriously about a Revo STX. I'm saying this because I don't think a Revo S is a fair comparison to a Curado 300. I used to own a Revo S and I decided to upgrade recently to a STX and love it. I was also thinking about a Curado 300, but I was already a happy Revo owner and figured why switch brands if I was already happy with my Revo.
The STX has great casting and an incredible drag. It has an easy external knob for adjusting the Linear Magnetic brakes as well as the Mechanical Brake adjustment. Keep in mind it also has Corrosion Resistant (HPCR) bearings too. You should read up on both reels and check them out in person and see what u like. I'm sure u can't go wrong either way.

b

THanks for the input on the reels and i am sure your right and i cant go wrong with either....

I have a Revo Toro 60 on a 8' 6" med. Shimano Claurs that when I get the cash will get bumped up to a Shimano Tearmar rod.
I can't say enough about the factory service. I found a factory authorized service center in Iowa and sent them a ProMax 6600 that was 20ish years old. Got a call from them about it once it got there and was offered a Toro 50 or 60 in trade + some cash. Cost to fix was a push so I decided to do the trade in and selected the 60. My 6600 was not rated for saltwater and the bearings were shot. I did like that reel but the Revo Toro 60 is light years ahead of anything that's 20 years old.
So I would not worry about warranty or service on them as long as if you need it and use a factory authorized service center for any needed warranty work. Mine so far is good as gold. A little big for the Claurs but works never the less. On a Tearmar or equivalent rod it should throw a Iron with ease.

Very glad to hear this, so they have great customer service as well huh? see i never hear about any other companys besides shimano, i know this could be cause everyone wants to jump shimano's bones but never the less i did not think great customer service was offered elsewhere. This is one of the reasons i bout the stradic and sahara for lake. VERY VERY cool thanks for the post

LBSea
05-19-2011, 06:13 PM
Revo cast much better hands down. I have had some issues with mine not going into gear after I casted but overall handles salt water 1 million times better than the Curado. STX and 300 are not a good comparison more like the the 200. The Shimano Curado 300 is a bigger reel that holds more line and I think the ration is slightly slower or no high speed.

Nessie Hunter
05-19-2011, 08:07 PM
Revo cast much better hands down. I have had some issues with mine not going into gear after I casted but overall handles salt water 1 million times better than the Curado. STX and 300 are not a good comparison more like the the 200. The Shimano Curado 300 is a bigger reel that holds more line and I think the ration is slightly slower or no high speed.

I agree with that, I own 2 Revo Inshores and a Toro 60....

LBSea.... That failure to return into gear is classic symptoms of the defective Kick Lever..
There is a new Modified Kick Lever available....

part number is 1156749 and they are available for $2.50 each plus s&h.
Total about $6.50 ---- 1-800-228-4272..

Strongly recommend you have it replaced ASAP it will just get worse with use....

Lipripper93561
05-19-2011, 08:37 PM
Love my Revo Toro 51HS, hooked it up on a 9' steelhead rod for the surf. 14lb test on it works great with the LC.

n1ckxlam
05-20-2011, 11:51 AM
The revo inshore has a really small spool, which if you get the toro it solves that problem. If you are looking to cast jigs, you'll generally get better distance with larger spools, like from the toro or curado. If youre just looking to cast plugs like lc's and the like you could go with either. Consider also the Penn Sargus baitcasting... built for the salt, decent spool size, and its a penn. I ended up getting two I liked it so much, I use it tubin for bass, in the surf for halis, and Ive even filled one with spectra and fished colnett with it [with a modified crank handle] getting a 15lb ling no problem. customer service is great.

but again, between the curado, and revo, theyre both solid reels so, cant really go wrong

nick

Nick

LBSea
05-20-2011, 12:02 PM
I agree with that, I own 2 Revo Inshores and a Toro 60....

LBSea.... That failure to return into gear is classic symptoms of the defective Kick Lever..
There is a new Modified Kick Lever available....

part number is 1156749 and they are available for $2.50 each plus s&h.
Total about $6.50 ---- 1-800-228-4272..

Strongly recommend you have it replaced ASAP it will just get worse with use....

Frank you already fixed this one for me! Thanks again for the repair!!

Doug

ToadsToadsOnly
05-20-2011, 02:52 PM
I just took apart my curado 300 DSV which I got serviced about 10 months ago and I do wash down my reel eveytime I fish salt. I originally had carbontechs in the reel but shimano told me they will not service the reel if carbontechs in it so I put the dartaniums back in and never swiched back. When I opened it up Dartanium drag dust was all over the inside of my reel. My anti reverse pinion was toast and the anti reverse bearing was corroded. Sigh ... I love this reel but got to send it back again. Every year or so shimano replaces all the reels guts. I opened up my new curado EJ to replace the Dartaniums and lookie here carbontechs stock.

I opened up my toro it looked like new inside no work needed to be done.

bones
05-20-2011, 03:35 PM
The new curado "E" series is rated for SW so the good old service issue shouldn't be a problem. The new 200 feels too small in my hand but the new 300 series is just right!
I've always been partial to the curado but that is just me. Just saw some brand new 300E's on ebay for 190.00 freight prepaid. That's a great deal!