PDA

View Full Version : Good Fishing & Wild Conditions in Rock Creek

rotto84
05-15-2011, 10:42 PM
Went to Rock Creek for some early season camping and fishing and was not disappointed. All of my fish were released. I arrived Friday, May 13 and there were many open campsites. I set up camp, and went right to the creek. I was expecting a torrent, but the flow was fast, but fishable. I was trying small jigs in the pools. Immediately I caught a nice rainbow, almost a pound and a half. That would be my biggest fish, but not my last. Most of the fish had just been stocked, and were about a pound. A few were smaller. I caught almost all of my fish on Friday immediately by my campsite. In the afternoon there was some thunder, and instead of a shower, it was slushy snow for about an hour. For the day I caught 21 rainbows.

Saturday, I decided to go hiking McGee Creek, so I fished a little less. When I returned to Rock Creek, I fished some more places, and again was quite lucky. I caught 17 more, and again many of them were just stocked. Some people camping next to me hit the lower Owens, using worms. The three of them only caught 3 fish, but one rainbow was quite nice, probably around 3.5 pounds.

On Sunday I was going to hit more of Rock Creek, but it snowed a few inches Saturday night. I ended up leaving early to return home to San Diego.

The pictures show Rock Creek Lake, mostly covered with ice, and also show the beautiful mountains and clear road. This was from Friday. The rainbow pictured was one of the smaller ones, but I thought I would have more photo opportunities on Sunday. The tent, car, and snowy road were all photos taken on Sunday on my way out.

All in all, it was a really fun weekend. The fishing and camping were great, and I was happy that Rock Creek was not running too quickly.

DJM86
05-15-2011, 11:23 PM
Great report. Which campground did you stay in? How is the snow amount in East Fork? My group is heading up the first week of June so hopefully EF will be open. Last year, our reservations were cancelled due to snow.
Thanks

Which Way Out
05-15-2011, 11:37 PM
Nice numbers and released, good job.
Nice thing about snow is no mosquitos:Big Grin:

rotto84
05-16-2011, 08:14 PM
DJM86, the only open campgrounds were the two lowest elevations, French Camp and Iris Meadows. I was staying at Iris Meadows. With a little sunshine, many of the other upper campgrounds should be opening soon. I actually fished some of East Fork, and from what I saw there was not much snow. Again, a few days of sunshine should open this campground up too. I would say you have a good chance of your early June reservations being good for the East Fork. Still, as we all know, looking at my pictures anything can happen!

Which Way is Out, I love the early and late season sierras. No mosquitoes, less fishing pressure, cooler temps, many positives.

Bottom-line: anytime you can make it to the sierras is a good time to go!

Mike274
05-17-2011, 01:04 AM
Nice report, glad to hear there are willing fish there.

Mike

Rot8
05-17-2011, 07:45 PM
Great report. How do you stay warm in the tent at night? It looks like you would freeze at night.

rotto84
05-17-2011, 09:11 PM
It really isn't bad. This has happened to me before. Mild day, little sun and some clouds, temps reaching the mid 60's (much warmer around the Owens), and then I go to sleep in my tent. Wake up around 3:00 AM and see a few flakes falling, and go back to sleep. Wake up at 6:00 AM, and it is coming down, maybe 3", with more on the way. In the tent it is not bad. I have a down bag with a sleeping pad and a blanket. Actually, outside it is in the 20's, which isn't that bad either, except when you are pulling out the metal tent stakes.

When I wake to weather like that, one choice I have is to try to go back to sleep, then later getting everything out to heat up breakfast, then clean it up, then pack, and then decide to stick around and fish or go home. My other choice is to pack, and head home early. I usually head back early, and possibly hit the Owens, or head straight home.

The snow adds a little adventure.

phishin phool
05-18-2011, 07:52 PM
cool report but BRRRRRRRRRRR!

IncredibleHuck
05-18-2011, 09:10 PM
It really isn't bad. This has happened to me before. Mild day, little sun and some clouds, temps reaching the mid 60's (much warmer around the Owens), and then I go to sleep in my tent. Wake up around 3:00 AM and see a few flakes falling, and go back to sleep. Wake up at 6:00 AM, and it is coming down, maybe 3", with more on the way. In the tent it is not bad. I have a down bag with a sleeping pad and a blanket. Actually, outside it is in the 20's, which isn't that bad either, except when you are pulling out the metal tent stakes.

When I wake to weather like that, one choice I have is to try to go back to sleep, then later getting everything out to heat up breakfast, then clean it up, then pack, and then decide to stick around and fish or go home. My other choice is to pack, and head home early. I usually head back early, and possibly hit the Owens, or head straight home.

The snow adds a little adventure.

I like it! Nothing like having some adventure!

smokinflies
05-22-2011, 04:26 PM
nice trip. thank for sharing.