PDA

View Full Version : gear for throwin lc's?

Frequent Flyer
05-15-2011, 07:27 PM
any recomendations on wat gear i shld get to throw the lc and other hardbaits in the surf?
lookin to spend around 200 for rod and reel combo...thanks

smokehound
05-15-2011, 08:29 PM
any recomendations on wat gear i shld get to throw the lc and other hardbaits in the surf?
lookin to spend around 200 for rod and reel combo...thankshttp://www.cabelas.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=740127&type=product&WT.tsrc=CSE&WT.mc_id=Amazon&WT.z_mc_id1=740127&rid=40&mr:trackingCode=52D2FF54-F17C-E011-97DC-001B21631C34&mr:referralID=NA

that's not bad, a bit pricey, but it looks like a solid combo.

I might get a citica.. they're a bit cheaper, but still nice reels, nonetheless. Some people swear by flourocarbon line, I do fine with mono. 6-10 lb test. Baitcasters are way better for tossing lures than spinningreels. they allow the line to cleanly run, allowing for farther casts. 6# is good-- light but still strong enough for a legal hali! You dont have to worry about them biting the line. But thats just because I like a challenge.

Which Way Out
05-15-2011, 08:59 PM
I am still new at it myself, just 2 years of solid surf fishing and learn more each time I hit the water. I fish with a Shimano Clarus rod that I just got last week with a lot of recommendations. It's a 8' 6" medium with a Abu Garcia Revo Toro 60. The Revo 60 is overkill for sure but I had a deal I couldn't pass on. I think I will scale down to a 50 when I get the cash and put it on the Clarus, then move the 60 up to the Shimano Teramar.
If your gonna hit the surf get at least a 7 foot rod, 8 is better, it made my life better.
Lots of other brands out there. Each a personal preference. Others will chime in with there's more than likely.
Good luck

ghetto dad
05-15-2011, 09:24 PM
I am still new at it myself, just 2 years of solid surf fishing and learn more each time I hit the water. I fish with a Shimano Clarus rod that I just got last week with a lot of recommendations. It's a 8' 6" medium with a Abu Garcia Revo Toro 60. The Revo 60 is overkill for sure but I had a deal I couldn't pass on. I think I will scale down to a 50 when I get the cash and put it on the Clarus, then move the 60 up to the Shimano Teramar.
If your gonna hit the surf get at least a 7 foot rod, 8 is better, it made my life better.
Lots of other brands out there. Each a personal preference. Others will chime in with there's more than likely.
Good luck

yeah...im looking for something new myself...im using and old loomis rod....but its a bit heavy for what i want.....the 8 6 clarus sounds nice....whats the line rating on that???

GD

calico killer kevin
05-16-2011, 12:20 AM
For $200, I'd recommend a Citica E or Caenan and a MH Compre Cranking rod.
7'-7'10" is my comfort point. Any longer, and the rod becomes cumbersome.
Nothing less than 10lb line or you're asking for heartbreak. I prefer 40lb braid
with 12-14lb fluoro braid usually. My topshot of choice has little to do with line
visibility as many will believe; has more to do with abrasion resistance and
sinking tendencies.

Jaysuuun
05-16-2011, 09:34 AM
This is from my own experience and thoughts, so I hope this helps.

I'm currently using a 7'6" light action Falcon Coastal rod paired with a Citica 200D spooled with Izorline XXX 12lb line. However after a few surf outings, I'm looking to upgrade this setup. Here's the problems that I'm having.

Rod: Length is perfect in ideal conditions, but I wish I had just a slightly taller rod for zinging the LC's out there when conditions get a little rougher. Also this rod has no backbone, so I have to keep the drag pretty tight. Would like to upgrade to an 8ft medium action rod.

Reel: I love this reel. It's smooth and casts great, but after a few hours in the harsh surf, casting begins to degrade and it becomes more prone to backlash. I notice I have to thumb my spool a lot more as the day goes on. I'm guessing water begins to creep into the bearings and braking mechanism,which leads to this problem. I usually have to open it up and dry it out to have the reel casting like normal again. Thinking about upgrading to a round baitcaster for durability and more line capacity.

Line: Love the line. Has the knot strength of 15lb but is not as stiff as some other lines making it excellent for casting. It's soft enough to use on spinning reels, if you plan on bringing/using a spinning setup.

Hope this helps

Jason

Which Way Out
05-16-2011, 06:49 PM
yeah...im looking for something new myself...im using and old loomis rod....but its a bit heavy for what i want.....the 8 6 clarus sounds nice....whats the line rating on that???

GD

The line rating on a medium is 8-17. Lure WT 1/4-1oz. Well at least the one I have :)

ghetto dad
05-16-2011, 07:06 PM
The line rating on a medium is 8-17. Lure WT 1/4-1oz. Well at least the one I have :)

thanks bro..got ure pm...im IN for that rod....now gotta figure out what i can sell to get it..lol....

then....ima need a new reel...lol

GD

bsp
05-16-2011, 07:15 PM
If you are just getting a set up to throw LCs, look at freshwater bass cranking rods. Moderate or Mod-fast action with Med-Hvy or Heavy power is what you want. Fast action rods rip the treble hooks out of halibut, and you will loose fish that you otherwise could have landed with them. They're fine if you throw the LC occasionally, but if you're going for a dedicated set up check out a specific cranking stick.

I use a Phenix XG-1 glass 7'9" and am a huge fan of it, but it's $160. There are cheaper alternatives out there, but I can't offer specific insight since I've never used them.

ghetto dad
05-16-2011, 07:23 PM
If you are just getting a set up to throw LCs, look at freshwater bass cranking rods. Moderate or Mod-fast action with Med-Hvy or Heavy power is what you want. Fast action rods rip the treble hooks out of halibut, and you will loose fish that you otherwise could have landed with them. They're fine if you throw the LC occasionally, but if you're going for a dedicated set up check out a specific cranking stick.

I use a Phenix XG-1 glass 7'9" and am a huge fan of it, but it's $160. There are cheaper alternatives out there, but I can't offer specific insight since I've never used them.

crap...I forgot about the mod/mod fast action for an LC rod....so you dont rip the LC out of the halibuts mouth...

GD

tree
05-16-2011, 07:24 PM
If you want a strong budget setup, theres nothing wrong with the shimano cardiff 300, paired with a 8 foot heavy action rod for the bigger fish. You'll have all the backbone you need along with some power to throw the LC. shimano cardiff is around 100, and the bass pro shop carbonlite rod is around 100 too. It's what im using now. It's my bass frogging/flipping stick that i use for the salt.

I have 30 lb power pro with 15 lb invizx flourocarbon leader

I just figured the cardiff is considered a workhorse of a reel, and would truly fit within a $200 budget... cause the rest of the rods and reels are around $150+ and comboing them would be around $300 + tax.

ghetto dad
05-18-2011, 01:21 PM

Damn it....instead of the Phenix Inshore Assasin 906L i purchased awhile back, i should have gotten the 806L...the 806L is Mod-fast.....the 906L is fast...grrr....but when i bought it..I wasnt planning on LC fishin!

GD

Cangler
05-18-2011, 01:38 PM
Good luck

The clarus 8'6 salmon/steelhead rods are ideal for the surf . I got a pair on amazon for $80 each.
I also use a 11ft carp rod .
My reels tend to be just junk ones. Sand and sea water shorten any lifespan to about 3 months

bsp
05-18-2011, 01:38 PM
Don't sweat the rod choice too much GD.

Phenix XG-1 Glass 79H, X-10, or X-12s are what work well for the surf, and they're cheaper than the ISAs too. If you want to go for halibut from the surf seriously, I've fished all three of those rods a lot and would be happy to give you the low down on each.

The ISAs are more calico oriented (I use my 866L for calico fishing off the rocks/jetties), and the mod-fasts are better for working big deep diving cranks. That 906L will be a good rod if you want to toss bigger leadheads and swimbaits for WSB, Calicos, or halibut. Even though I don't use them too much, my dad has had a lot of luck fishing 4-6in swimbaits in the surf.

ghetto dad
05-18-2011, 01:43 PM
Don't sweat the rod choice too much GD.

Phenix XG-1 Glass 79H, X-10, or X-12s are what work well for the surf, and they're cheaper than the ISAs too. If you want to go for halibut from the surf seriously, I've fished all three of those rods a lot and would be happy to give you the low down on each.

The ISAs are more calico oriented (I use my 866L for calico fishing off the rocks/jetties), and the mod-fasts are better for working big deep diving cranks. That 906L will be a good rod if you want to toss bigger leadheads and swimbaits for WSB, Calicos, or halibut. Even though I don't use them too much, my dad has had a lot of luck fishing 4-6in swimbaits in the surf.

yeah..thanks BSP.....I love that rod...I use it for throwing swimmies for stripers and also be a good rod for calico fishing in the kelps at the island.....

ill start throwing swimbaits once i get the LC down man...lol.....baby steps for GD!

thanks bro

GD

jerryG
05-24-2011, 11:44 PM
Hey GD the LC actually fishes nice on a Tru-line LM9 or Calstar 196-8L. The parabolic action on those old glass bait sticks is really forgiving which really helps keep a big heavy halibut on those thin wire hooks. I tried fishing the LC on my calico rods setups that I would normally use for throwing swimbaits and as a consequence I lost a couple BIG halibut before I realized the calico rods just were not going to work out.

I use an 8' Shikari (no longer available). I have casted Marc's (BSP's) Phenix cranking stick and it's perfect for throwing the LC..

JerryG

vanillagurilla
05-25-2011, 08:43 AM
Clarus is a good option, I used to use a 8'6" med light action, now I'm using a penn saber med action med power 8'6" with a quantum.

vanillagurilla
05-25-2011, 09:06 AM
I also use 20lb power pro braid and about 8ft of 8lb pline or izorxxx. An ideal reel would be a curado200, i like the corvalus 200 myself. the 300 and 400 are a little more than you need, corvalus 200 cast great and has plenty of drag, i actualy use to use a cruado 100b on my old clarus and caught halis up to 37" with no problems at all, just remember to rinse your gear well including the rod and put about 1/2 a drop of oil on the bearings when you get home, spool bearings get oil, handle shaft bearings get grease and maybe 1/2drop or less of oil on the one way stopper bearing on the handle shaft.

koifish
05-25-2011, 09:57 AM
anyone know what stores (OC or LA county) have reasonable price for LC. They are pricey.

Thanks

vanillagurilla
05-25-2011, 10:06 AM
there all around the same price, sportchalet had lc's 25% off but i didnt see any saltwater ones but i did pick up a pointer 100 in ghost chartruse shad gary dobyns edition, looks almoast exactly like a smelt. Fishermans access in brea/fullerton has a good selection of 110fm, not sure if the longfin in orange has them. if your looking for a deal then order online lol.