PDA

View Full Version : San Antonio Lake 5-14-11, The Big Goose egg.

MonsterGuppy
05-15-2011, 02:13 PM
Plan was to drive up Friday, meet up with some good friends, camp out 2 nights fishing Saturday /Sunday and make the drive back Sunday evening. Everything went great except for two things; we skunked out Saturday and got rained out Saturday night. We decided to cut and run Saturday midnight getting back home early Sunday morning.
Conditions, the shad are spawning, there are billions of baby shad less the ¼ inch in size around the launch ramps, give them another 6 weeks and the shad should be just the right size for striper candy. Seen very few adult shad most were still deep along with the stripers in 110 to 140 feet of water. Surface water temps averaged 68-70 degrees all over most of the lake. The water visibility is very good at least 15 feet and gin clear.
Talked to a few locals who said so far the striper bite is still sketchy at best, they were targeting small mouth bass and that bite is red hot.
Techniques used, we tried everything, last year we made this trip twice getting 3-4 DD fish with several lost fish each time. This trip trolled the points with u-rigs around the same locations around the dam with no pickups. Tried bait and wait with fresh dead my buddy picked up alive and put them on ice straight from the bait receiver in MDR on Friday and just could not get them to go. I suspect it’s still little early for the stripers to move up and with the pressure change with the rain my timing may have been off.
For all you carp lovers out there, they are rolling and ready to go 

cutbait
05-15-2011, 02:43 PM
Salivating at those toad Big Scaled beauties!!!

Yeoman's work. Great intel....

Bako Boys will be making the run shortly

TroutOnly
05-16-2011, 05:49 PM
A couple more weeks and im on the way to the slay,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Wingnut
05-18-2011, 09:18 PM
Been wondering about that place... thanks for the updated report! :Cool:

cutbait
05-18-2011, 09:20 PM
Yall did see the info on the new lake hours at San Antonio right?

redNeKasian
05-19-2011, 10:14 AM
what are they?

cutbait
05-19-2011, 11:02 AM
Starting May 27th.... No boats can launch between 9pm and 6am.. launches will be locked up

Inspections on boats will be done for the quagga mussel..

Clean and dry

hookjaw77
05-20-2011, 11:32 AM
Cutbait
last time I went over I paid for 2 days and stayed out all night on the boat. That way we were fishing at 4:30 am. Made for a miserable night for sleeping and a tough drive home.
Swanee

cutbait
05-20-2011, 12:14 PM
Cutbait
last time I went over I paid for 2 days and stayed out all night on the boat. That way we were fishing at 4:30 am. Made for a miserable night for sleeping and a tough drive home.
Swanee

Thats how we do it.. BUT more importantly.... how was the fishing?