PDA

View Full Version : Perris lake - Sat May 14th wide open redear bite

tunagod1
05-15-2011, 08:22 AM
Decuided to go to Perris since I got a new load of Jumbo Redwords actully a differenrt species than redworms some poeple call the euro crawlers. The euro crawlers look just like redworms but are significantly larger in size. No problem putting these babies on since they are 3-4 inches in size.

Anyway,, we got to the lake and had the boat in the water by 6:30, we headed over to our usual spots and achored up. The bite was immediate, within the first five minutes we had 6 nice sized redear in the boat. We fished til noon but the redear bit shut off at around 9:00am. I already had my limit but was wait for my partner to finish off his limit.
All fish were caught on the drop shot setup, that I posted in the fishing tips section.

Did a little bass fishing with no love, anyway, we finished up with 37 readear / blue gill mixed, mostly redear. we left at 11;30. sorry no pics, you guys know what they look like.

Tight Lines

Tuna Out

IN2DEEP
05-15-2011, 08:33 AM
Nice going
I went to see your fishing tips post and noticed that the pictures are missing
Still got them?

tunagod1
05-15-2011, 08:57 AM

The setup is two pound test, drop shot weight at the bottom, tie a dropper loop about 18" above the weight, The loop needs to be at least 3 " in diameter. Once you have tie the dropper loop, cut the loop on the side closest to the weight. Tie the hook on the tag end of the dropper loop. Very simple setup that will catch bass as well as redear and bluegill. My father fishes the regularly (shore) down at lots 11/12 about 150" from the old ramp. His name is Steve and will help you if you ask.

Tuna Out

tunagod1
05-15-2011, 09:02 AM

Here's a pic of Dad, and some bluegill readear pics, bass caught and released

Tuna OUt

IN2DEEP
05-15-2011, 09:29 AM
Tuna,
Thanks for the tips!
I'm much more a SW fisherman than FW
The tip on which leg of the dropper loop to cut is a good one.
I would have never given that one much thought
Much appreciated
Scott

tacklejunkie
05-15-2011, 09:36 AM
Nice work on the "dinnerplates". Looks like Taco Night last night.
Thanks for C&R the bass. :Cool:

The redear definitely doing good from shore.

tunagod1
05-15-2011, 10:24 AM
I'm mostly SW myself, but fuel prices have kept me land locked until the summer exotics arrive, unfortunately my big boat 23" Robalo cuddy burns 1.25mi/gal. maybe 1.5 on good days. It hurts to put 100 gallons of gas in the boat to chase fish. Right now its still cheaper for me to go on the sport boats, and no cleanup to do after. I'll only take the big boat to chase WSB or Tuna, dodo's, yellowtail. Mt little aluminum with a 5hp 4 stroke, I can fish perris and DVL 6-10s time before I fill the 6 gallon tank.

Good luck fishing

Tuna Out

Kelster
05-15-2011, 10:44 AM
I forgot all about that knot, used to use it years ago SW fishing. Thanks for the tip, now if my arthritic right hand can tie it again. I have been practicing this morning with a shoe lace, a lot easier to do then with 2# line. LOL.

tunagod1
05-15-2011, 10:55 AM
This setup work well when the vegetation starts growing fron the bottom, it keeps the bait above the moss growing on the bottom. Mush bettar than a slider set up dragging to hook behind the lead collecting all the moss. Sometime the redear don't move after they eat the bait so all you see is a tick in the line, any light pressure go ahead and swing, swings are free.

M@M
05-16-2011, 06:50 PM
WOW! That's a great catch. I can never catch that many fish. Way to go!

TheAsianGuy
05-16-2011, 09:11 PM
Dude..that's a freaking haul. I don't think my body is up to challenge in hauling that kind of a catch back in my tube. Must be a heck of an eating..and a freakish cleaning..

Greg Madrigal
05-16-2011, 09:39 PM
Thanks for the report. I wonder how mini jigs would have worked.

Alternate idea for dropper loop:
I was with a guide at Pyramid lake in Nevada who taught me another setup for a dropper loop. Simply clip your line about 8" longer than you want your weight leg to be, then tie a surgeon's knot. Leave teh tag ends long, and cut off one of the tag ends (the one facing up towards your rod tip. You are left with a weight leg, and a tag end to tie to your hook. This tag end should be facing down to reduce tangles.

ghetto dad
05-16-2011, 09:50 PM
nice panfish slay brother.....great job....

GD

tunagod1
05-17-2011, 07:04 PM
Hey Greg, that's a good idea, especially if you have 4 lb line and want to fish a 2 lb tag. I usually fish straight 2 lb for panfish but there are days when I plan to fish for bass with 4lb, and thats all I bring, its a cleaver way to lighten the line.

Very Cool

Tuna Out

tunagod1
05-17-2011, 07:14 PM
That didn't work out the way I thought, the 2 lb tag comes out the top. Oh we'll still another way to tie the rig.

Tuna