PDA

View Full Version : Artificials for Snappers in Florida?

Ifishtoolittle
05-15-2011, 01:57 AM
I know this is the wrong place to post this, but I'll never get any responses if I don't. I hope everyone will understand.

Anyways, to the matter at hand I'm going to be heading down to key Largo on June 12th-19th and fishing will definitely be one of my main activities over there. So far, I've been able to dig up very little info on how to catch snappers and other inshore fish, and what I've found is to use 10-20lb test spinning gear 2/0 hooks 1/4oz-1/2oz sliders with chunk bait. Okay I know that crap will work, but I'm more interested in getting some fish on artificals. Anyone have experience on fishing down there?

For gear I was thinking about bringing 2 light outfits a 6lb spinner and 10lb baitcaster. As for tackle I'm thinking some jerkbaits in the 3-4" class may entice bites, some 1/4oz-1/2oz kastmasters and maybe megabaits, some 3" grubs, and maybe gulp!. Anyone here think I'm on the right track?

Please leave info in the comment section below, thank you and good bye. :ROFL: No seriously I could use some 2 cents here.

kzhlin
05-15-2011, 02:48 AM
I know that you said you didn't know where to post this, but I doubt this is a good place. This is the SoCal saltwater talk forum. Fishing varies a lot from place to place. You might want to post on some other fishing forums.

I just used google and found: http://forums.floridasportsman.com/
Check it out. Fishing forum for people in Florida. Problem solved?

Just my 2 cents,
Kevin

ghetto dad
05-15-2011, 09:57 AM
check this.....its a LONG story about when i lived in FL and fished the boats out of Jacksonville..Ill give you the short version....but I caught MANY huge amberjacks, jacks, and Red Snapper on TADY 9's and AA's.....when i first fished a boat out there..i busted out the Tadys...guys were like "wtf is that?? you arent going to catch anything on those" by the end of the trip (true story) the guys (deckhands) wanted me to get some for them....so i called Alex at Rusty Hook in Pedro and ordered them a bunch! lol...

the jacks I caught actually yo-yo fishing like you do for yellows..and the snappers i worked the tadys like a "jax jig"

good luck man

GD

Ifishtoolittle
05-16-2011, 10:49 AM
I know that you said you didn't know where to post this, but I doubt this is a good place. This is the SoCal saltwater talk forum. Fishing varies a lot from place to place. You might want to post on some other fishing forums.

I just used google and found: http://forums.floridasportsman.com/
Check it out. Fishing forum for people in Florida. Problem solved?

Just my 2 cents,
Kevin

Funny thing is posting on a Florida fishing forum never crossed my mind. Man I have too much crap on my mind. This was just an attempt to scrounge up some info from anyone on the FNN who has fished in FL because there are guys here who can fish anywhere they please. Anyways, thank you for the info.

Ifishtoolittle
05-16-2011, 10:51 AM
check this.....its a LONG story about when i lived in FL and fished the boats out of Jacksonville..Ill give you the short version....but I caught MANY huge amberjacks, jacks, and Red Snapper on TADY 9's and AA's.....when i first fished a boat out there..i busted out the Tadys...guys were like "wtf is that?? you arent going to catch anything on those" by the end of the trip (true story) the guys (deckhands) wanted me to get some for them....so i called Alex at Rusty Hook in Pedro and ordered them a bunch! lol...

the jacks I caught actually yo-yo fishing like you do for yellows..and the snappers i worked the tadys like a "jax jig"

good luck man

GD

Cool, thanks Ghetto Dad. I was thinking about doing some yo-yoing if I can go on a party boat or charter while I'm down there.

ghetto dad
05-16-2011, 10:57 AM
not 100% sure on down south there..but I also know you would fish small hooks....fish the bottom to catch beeliners and grunts (they look like Rockfish..it was strange using them for live bait, lol), and use them as live bait....if your fishing over wrecks...make sure you have 50-60 MINIMUM, cuz there are large groupers in the snapper areas too...I got absoultely buttholed fishing 60 lb test, 6/0 reel, and a 5 1/2 rod rated 50-80....hold on!! lol

GD

ghetto dad
05-16-2011, 10:58 AM
damn! just re-read that post of ure again...and again..not 100% sure how it works down south there...but 6-8 lb test for snappers??? LOL..if its anything like N Florida....you can forget about that!! lol

GD

Ifishtoolittle
05-16-2011, 11:13 AM
damn! just re-read that post of ure again...and again..not 100% sure how it works down south there...but 6-8 lb test for snappers??? LOL..if its anything like N Florida....you can forget about that!! lol

GD

It's from shore though. I don't know I'll take my chances 6lb test doesn't necessarily break at 6lbs of strain. Gotta fish dangerous you know like after I've lost all my Rapalas and Jigheads then I'll learn. :LOL:

jsl
05-16-2011, 09:40 PM
It's from shore though. I don't know I'll take my chances 6lb test doesn't necessarily break at 6lbs of strain. Gotta fish dangerous you know like after I've lost all my Rapalas and Jigheads then I'll learn. :LOL:

I was down there this past November and it's a kick *** place...you'll love it. Go to the boat docks and you'll see nice sized mangrove snappers and huge tarpon milling around. There's a place in Islamorada where you can hand feed 10-100+lb tarpon if you've got the stones. As far as terminal tackle is concerned, I think you hit it on the head as those lures would definitely work. However, I would bump up the line because they'll surely break you off on 6lb, I would go with 15-20lb line because they're not line shy. Have fun!

Scott

ghetto dad
05-16-2011, 09:42 PM
damn...see...I told you I wasnt sure about down south..lol...."mangrove" this while time I thought you were talking about "red"

good luck man!!

GD

jsl
05-16-2011, 09:46 PM

GD

No kidding GD. I got busted off MANY times on 40lb while fishing out there. I thought yt pull hard for their size but those gags and snappers out there are on steroids.

Scott

ghetto dad
05-16-2011, 09:58 PM
No kidding GD. I got busted off MANY times on 40lb while fishing out there. I thought yt pull hard for their size but those gags and snappers out there are on steroids.

Scott

yeah man....fun times fishing out there...funny story tho....one of the landings that I fished would target amberjacks...along with the snappers, groupers, occasional kings, cuda, etc....then I went out of another landing (i cant remember the names of the landings right now, lol...and i fished them OFTEN..gettin old!) and they LEFT a school of WFO amberjacks that were AVERAGE 20-25 lb...and some pushing 40...my son and i had 6 on the boat on the yoyo jigs (tadys) and the captain was like "ok....were leaving..too many amberjack!" I was like WTF????? Imagine leaving BIG schools of YT, thats pretty much what it was like for me...to a lot off peeps out there....the AJ's werent the "eating fish"...well...never fished that landing again..lol

GD

jsl
05-16-2011, 10:14 PM
yeah man....fun times fishing out there...funny story tho....one of the landings that I fished would target amberjacks...along with the snappers, groupers, occasional kings, cuda, etc....then I went out of another landing (i cant remember the names of the landings right now, lol...and i fished them OFTEN..gettin old!) and they LEFT a school of WFO amberjacks that were AVERAGE 20-25 lb...and some pushing 40...my son and i had 6 on the boat on the yoyo jigs (tadys) and the captain was like "ok....were leaving..too many amberjack!" I was like WTF????? Imagine leaving BIG schools of YT, thats pretty much what it was like for me...to a lot off peeps out there....the AJ's werent the "eating fish"...well...never fished that landing again..lol

GD

Yup. Those AJ's are fun to pull aren't they? That and they'll eat just about anything.That gulf coast/lower Atlantic fishery is ridiculous! I went on an overnight out of Tarpon Springs and dude's were catching snappers, grouper, AJ, B-liners, porgies, pretty much everything on dried up salted sardines that looked so bad, I thought even bacteria wouldn't eat those things. Pretty funny stuff.

I fished on a pier in Pensacola and dudes were catching Kingfish to 16lbs, cobia to 90lbs, and bonito to 20lbs. When I first saw how they were rigging for them I was laughing inside because they were using frozen cigar minnows fished on wire leaders with big ol treble hooks and nailing 'em. Their methods wouldn't work out here but I guess it didn't matter out there. Our fishery is a joke compared to theirs.

Scott

ghetto dad
05-16-2011, 10:31 PM
Yup. Those AJ's are fun to pull aren't they? That and they'll eat just about anything.That gulf coast/lower Atlantic fishery is ridiculous! I went on an overnight out of Tarpon Springs and dude's were catching snappers, grouper, AJ, B-liners, porgies, pretty much everything on dried up salted sardines that looked so bad, I thought even bacteria wouldn't eat those things. Pretty funny stuff.

I fished on a pier in Pensacola and dudes were catching Kingfish to 16lbs, cobia to 90lbs, and bonito to 20lbs. When I first saw how they were rigging for them I was laughing inside because they were using frozen cigar minnows fished on wire leaders with big ol treble hooks and nailing 'em. Their methods wouldn't work out here but I guess it didn't matter out there. Our fishery is a joke compared to theirs.

Scott

yeah...its sick how GREAT shore/pier fishing is out there compared to this state/area....guys here loading up their 5 gallon buckets with tom cod..right next to HUGE signs that say "DO NOT CONSUME" croakers...lmao...oh well...

sorry about the thread jack homie..lol

GD

Ifishtoolittle
05-16-2011, 11:19 PM
Hey I welcome the thread jack now I'm getting pumped!

Ifishtoolittle
05-16-2011, 11:21 PM
I was down there this past November and it's a kick *** place...you'll love it. Go to the boat docks and you'll see nice sized mangrove snappers and huge tarpon milling around. There's a place in Islamorada where you can hand feed 10-100+lb tarpon if you've got the stones. As far as terminal tackle is concerned, I think you hit it on the head as those lures would definitely work. However, I would bump up the line because they'll surely break you off on 6lb, I would go with 15-20lb line because they're not line shy. Have fun!

Scott

15-20lb line?! Maybe I'll bring a 3000-4000 size spinner with 40lb braid. Thanks for the info, I'll definitely post a report afterwards!

smokehound
05-19-2011, 01:25 PM
red snapper are powerful fish.. 20 pound minimum test. They have powerful jaws and strong big teeth. Those guys will rip soft bait to shreds.

You can get away with 20 lb, but i'd feel safer with at LEAST 30 lb test..

Ifishtoolittle
05-19-2011, 01:41 PM
red snapper are powerful fish.. 20 pound minimum test. They have powerful jaws and strong big teeth. Those guys will rip soft bait to shreds.

You can get away with 20 lb, but i'd feel safer with at LEAST 30 lb test..

From shore? If I'm on a boat I'll definitely use 20-30lb especially for the cuberas.

jsl
05-20-2011, 08:52 PM
Your inshore arsenal sounds perfect. Add a few 1/4-1/2oz Kastmasters and Krocodiles and you're set. For offshore, I had a lot of success with megabaits 2/12-4/12oz. I would also get some wire leaders because if Spanish Mackerel or Kingfish are around, you're gonna lose 'em. I lost 7 lures in a day from getting bit off by those things so be forewarned. The fish out there are not line shy or as finicky as fish out here so don't be concerned about line size. When I fished the overnighter, everyone was using 50lb carolina rigs with 80lb leaders and get'n bit just fine. I didn't listen at first and dropped down with my 40lb rig with 40lb leader and lost a nice grouper or what ever it was. The skipper repeated a very common cliche amongst fishermen " you don't bring a knife to a fun fight" Good luck and have fun!!

Scott

Ifishtoolittle
05-20-2011, 11:08 PM
Your inshore arsenal sounds perfect. Add a few 1/4-1/2oz Kastmasters and Krocodiles and you're set. For offshore, I had a lot of success with megabaits 2/12-4/12oz. I would also get some wire leaders because if Spanish Mackerel or Kingfish are around, you're gonna lose 'em. I lost 7 lures in a day from getting bit off by those things so be forewarned. The fish out there are not line shy or as finicky as fish out here so don't be concerned about line size. When I fished the overnighter, everyone was using 50lb carolina rigs with 80lb leaders and get'n bit just fine. I didn't listen at first and dropped down with my 40lb rig with 40lb leader and lost a nice grouper or what ever it was. The skipper repeated a very common cliche amongst fishermen " you don't bring a knife to a fun fight" Good luck and have fun!!

Scott

Sweet, thanks Scott!

smokehound
05-20-2011, 11:29 PM
From shore? If I'm on a boat I'll definitely use 20-30lb especially for the cuberas.sorry my bad I was talking about Cuberas. couldnt remember the name :LOL:

Yeah those things are BRUTAL.

Ifishtoolittle
05-20-2011, 11:42 PM
Yeah those things are BRUTAL.

Definitely! :LOL:

http://i661.photobucket.com/albums/uu337/Ifishtoolittle/home3.jpg

jsl
05-22-2011, 11:39 AM
I don't know about the snapper on the left or the middle but the snapper on the right would be good eat'n, she's definitely a keeper. I would just catch and release the other two however.

Scott

Ifishtoolittle
05-23-2011, 12:01 AM
I don't know about the snapper on the left or the middle but the snapper on the right would be good eat'n, she's definitely a keeper. I would just catch and release the other two however.

Scott

Scott you are one picky fishermen I'd be good with the two on the left and right. :LOL:

Ifishtoolittle
05-23-2011, 12:02 AM
Just found out from the owner of the place I'm staying at that there are 5-15lb tarpon and snook that run through the canal that's around the house. Getting really pumped!!

jsl
05-23-2011, 03:50 PM
It's all good buddy. I got a fishing buddy like that, dude would stick his pole into anything. hahahaha

Ifishtoolittle
06-09-2011, 11:41 PM
Take a look at the regs for the size and season limits on the fish in FL, just crazy! I especially like the small limits on fish harvest; and what? FL residents don't need to buy a license to fish on shore WTF! And their salt license is only 17 bucks and you don't need to buy a fresh before the salt one. Damn Cali- why must you be so strict on the regs and why must people disobey them?!?!

Okay, here's the link if anyone cares.

http://myfwc.com/media/1334405/swprinterfriendly.pdf