PDA

View Full Version : Perchin' Dave and Exfactor, Up north BP day!!

Perchin' Dave
05-15-2011, 01:39 AM
http://i1194.photobucket.com/albums/aa363/davesomm/IMG_0538-1-1.jpg

Exfactor and Perchin' Dave fished 3 hours today late in the afternoon. Conditions were favorable when we made the beach. Tide nice, wind was present but workable, the clouds had cleared and what we thought was going to be a cold drizzily day started out nice! Mikey quickly found the starting spot and nailed two on his first two casts on the lucky craft. Over 12". PD saw some holes that were setting up and fished those on the way to some structure the Exfactor found and didn't find any, the water a bit shallow. This was a Barred Perch day, no hallie's. Still cold water up north in these parts. As I caught up with Mikey, he had a headstart of 3-4 but PD saw it as good competition. I was fishing the grub, mikey the LC. We fished the spot and pulled out a few.

The tide was changing rapidly and 45 minutes later the bite was off and we started looking up beach. The wind picked up and the water was less and less clear.

So, off we go and found another spot and pulled out a few. By this time PD was up to 10, the largest in the photo (14"?). Soon our friend Bruce joins us (a relative newbie to this active style of fishing) He was fishing the sand crabs that were plenty. We pulled out a couple other bp's and the went further up beach to explore. By now the wind was 20+ knotts and the shore break with steep beach turned the water brown, so, off we go again searching. Bruce stayed. There was a huge left to right current and we could barely keep up with the current no matter how we cast. The retrieve was screaming fast. So fast that mikey couldn't reel fast enough with his baitcaster and my spinning reel was whirring to try to maintain little slack for the occasional bite.

I go back to Bruce (who joined us late, after the magic time) and ask how he's doing, a lot of kelp but that's it. Putting on a new sand crab every other time. Perchin' Dave comes back to our second spot and joins Bruce. By now, the wind was really strong and most of what made the hole look favorable was gone by 90%. It was beach break splash, angry, murky water, and I had to stay 12 feet back from the splash of the wave, it really bounced. I then asked Bruce if he was coachable, he said yes, and I gave him a few tips of exactly -where- the fish were laying, showing him how to read the current & structure. I said, cast it right "here" and proceeded to pull out a 12" bp, a second cast, a 13", a fourth cast a 14" and pulled a total of 7 out of the hole that was un fishable because of deteriorating conditions. Bruce insisted on the sand crabs but the current was so bad, the murk and the wind made it all but impossible to fish. (I love these kinds of challenges, to find a way to produce when it reads 'impossible')

Mikey goes back to the left of our starting spot, there's more water around the structure and finds his last fish of the day. Between the murk and the wind we call it a day. Mikey found a dozen, Perch Dave about 20 with the top 7-8 being in the 12, 13, and largest in the 14" range. (see photo). We had a good time in spite of the changing conditions and I take a photo of some late flowers growing near the beach. Good to share the water Mikey.

http://i1194.photobucket.com/albums/aa363/davesomm/IMG_0542-1.jpg

sidified
05-15-2011, 01:52 AM
Great, thorough report...welcome and keep posting..

Wingnut
05-15-2011, 02:04 AM
Here ya go Dave. :Wink:
http://fishingnetwork.net/forum4/showthread.php?16012-How-to-load-full-size-photos-to-FNN-using-PhotoBucket.Com

You two are just tearing it up out there. Great job on locating them again.
What?!? Mikey didn't get another 16 inch Pig??? :LOL:
Keep up the great work gents. :Big Grin:

murrieta angler
05-15-2011, 08:25 AM
Good job Dave,
It's always fun when there is a little competition going on...:Smile:
Very cool showing others the ropes, but if they don't apply them, than it's their loss.
Nice report and (postage size) pics,
Robert
<><

bones
05-15-2011, 11:43 AM
Gee thanks Dave for making me squint:ROFL:

JK buddy.......
Good job on the assault up north fellas. You guys are hard core!
Hey Dave.....Still waiting for that info on the supplement you were telling me about.

exfactor
05-15-2011, 05:32 PM
Need to get PD 2 see the light.........grub fisherman til he dies so far, even when I keep up with him. And, all the piggies are big on the LC, at least 12's. Had at least 30 pig's this week.

Which Way Out
05-15-2011, 05:43 PM
Need to get PD 2 see the light.........grub fisherman til he dies so far, even when I keep up with him. And, all the piggies are big on the LC, at least 12's. Had at least 30 pig's this week.

I could hear you guys out there saying " Sue-weee " Those get any bigger your gonna need a hunting licence.

Perchin' Dave
05-15-2011, 10:32 PM
Good job Dave,
It's always fun when there is a little competition going on...:Smile:
Nice report and (postage size) pics,
Robert
<><

Hey Robert, I got a note in from wingnut and got the photos larger. No more squinting. Yes, some fun competition, hard to teach perchin' dave new stuff (smile). dave

Perchin' Dave
05-15-2011, 10:33 PM
A hunting license? Yeah, I hear ya. The thirty pound Leo is getting there . . . . smile! PD

bsp
05-15-2011, 10:55 PM
PD,
Glad to see you and Mikey tearing it up! I remember what you said about impossible conditions when we were talking that day with the other SWAT guys, and it's amazing that you can pull fish out of places when others can't. Major props on mastering the grub!

Mikey,
Rocking the LC in conditions that are challenging to fish a grub takes a lot of faith in the LC. I would have probably switched to dropshotting and then called it a day, but the dedication it took to stick with it was rewarded with some more solid perch!

Hope to fish with you guys again soon,

Marc

klocked
05-16-2011, 08:57 AM
Good job in those harsh conditions guys!
Most people would walk away from that!

blackwater
05-16-2011, 12:14 PM
Good job in those harsh conditions guys!
Most people would walk away from that!

But then, SWAT aren't like most people John. :Twisted:

Good job in the Northern front Dave & Mikey. I fished with Mikey once before, great guy with a wealth of fishing knowledge. No wonder Arthur calls him Yoda. :Big Grin:
Just saw the updated SWAT roster, welcome to the TEAM Dave and hope to fish with you soon. :Cool:

Perchin' Dave
05-16-2011, 02:58 PM
But then, SWAT aren't like most people John. :Twisted:

Good job in the Northern front Dave & Mikey. I fished with Mikey once before, great guy with a wealth of fishing knowledge. No wonder Arthur calls him Yoda. :Big Grin:
Just saw the updated SWAT roster, welcome to the TEAM Dave and hope to fish with you soon. :Cool:

Yes, I have learned a -lot- from Mikey. Been fun to see him excel in surf fishing, he's very versatile. He's always stretching himself. He's dove in headfirst from the shore (almost literally when assisting me in tailing a 30 pound Leo, smile), and we are both able to produce in less than ideal conditions. We also know when to call it a day too. Look forward to catchin' you up north sometime. Best! Perchin' Dave

Perchin' Dave
05-16-2011, 03:04 PM
Hey Marc, regarding impossible conditions, two thoughts, reading the water/currents, get the grub (or whatever you're fishing) to move to excite the bite.

Yes, lookin' forward to fishin' when you are in these parts again . . . Perchin' Dave