PDA

View Full Version : BBL - Slow start to a long weekend

etaggart
05-14-2011, 05:51 PM
Finally got back up to Big Bear after a few weeks of family obligations.

On the water by 7am on Saturday at the Solar Observatory. Beautiful morning, cool water not much breeze. All the boats around me seemed to be catching - mostly on the troll, lead core 4-5 colors, needlefish - seems the ticket. I assume with water level so high fishing deep was a must.

I'm in the tube with a flyrod in one hand and a drop-shot rigged powerworm in the other.

I got a number of small taps on the fly throughout the morning, and something crashed by powerworm but spit it out.

The wind picked up very strong at 8:30 so I moved into the cove for a little shelter. Started working it harder down deep and slow. Got a great strike on the fly along with a pretty long fight. I didn't want it to get away, so let it run and tried to wear it out. 4 or 5 minutes later with lots of deep dives, landed this one. Only 15" but just a hair over 2lbs - dense and meaty.

Eventually picked up one more around 10:30 - this one was only 1.5lbs.

Not nearly as much of a fight, but still a nice fish.

Bummed I wasn't hitting more since others were doing so well.

I'm up here through Tuesday, so I should be able to get out at least two (maybe three) more times.

Cheers all!!

Eric

diamondbear
05-15-2011, 10:18 AM
Nice fish anyways . Try moving over to the mouth of grout bay as the bigger ones have moved to this area . good job for a deep tube bite . // db

Cameron
05-15-2011, 01:55 PM
Nice fish glad to see ya get a couple. The wind has been keeping me away but I may go in the AM since I saw the panfish out around docks. I'll yell if I see ya, I hope you where not out today with the snow & wind.

Racetog
05-16-2011, 02:03 PM
Keep the BBL reports coming... I'll be up there this Fri-Mon. Let me throw out some questions...

Are dogs allowed on the Boulder Bay pier?

What's the hot set up for fishing that pier? Trout/Bass.

I work wired hours so most likely I start fishing around 03:00... Is this allowed?

Cameron
05-16-2011, 03:11 PM
I dont know if dogs are allowed on the dock but they are allowed in the park. I have seen folks bring there dogs on dont know the "rule" though.
I have heard trout on all kinds of set ups lately with PowerBait being the most common 1-4 ft leader.Winds have been bad so keep it in mind.
The dock is always open just park by the road since the gates close at 9pm i think I just landed 3 nice holdovers today.Good Luck.

Racetog
05-16-2011, 03:39 PM
Right on , thanks! That's my favorite MO on the trout set up. Looks like the temps will be low this weekend and maybe some rain or snow. I have rain gear, I'm fishing regardless! Nice job on the 3... Don't pull all of them out, would like to get a few for myself. ;)

I dont know if dogs are allowed on the dock but they are allowed in the park. I have seen folks bring there dogs on dont know the "rule" though.
I have heard trout on all kinds of set ups lately with PowerBait being the most common 1-4 ft leader.Winds have been bad so keep it in mind.
The dock is always open just park by the road since the gates close at 9pm i think I just landed 3 nice holdovers today.Good Luck.

etaggart
05-16-2011, 07:33 PM
Re: Dogs on the dock - Yes, no restrictions that I'm aware of. Please be careful since there are often hooks, etc.. Don't want the puppy to get crap stuck in their pads. We walk our dog often around various parts of the lake and try to be really aware of any tackle, etc. laying about.

Cheers!

E