PDA

View Full Version : Which line to use???

fishntime
05-14-2011, 01:13 PM
Ok so I just bought a sick Lil setup, and I plan on using it for Rip baits and topwater. Now I know that mono is the way I should go but, I was wondering if anyone on here might have used a different type of line? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

P.A.W.
05-14-2011, 02:14 PM
For topwater I always use braid. It gives you a much more direct feeling with the lure and since it is topwater the visibility is not a factor.

tacklejunkie
05-15-2011, 03:53 AM
Never had a problem using mono for topwater. This includes everything from tiny poppers to giant 4oz topwater, frogs and everything in between. Just make sure you wait until the fish has the bait before you set the hook. Mostly all you have to do is lift and reel. Still plenty of pop to using mono on topwater.

I would think visibility could still be a factor also. If you do use braid for topwater, put a topshot on.
Wonder why the wide open mouthed bass kept turning from my punker the other day.. 30lb line and 3 huge striper hooks.. They could see it when they got too close when I paused it.

to be honest I like having a tiny bit of stretch to my line while fishing jerkbaits/ripbaits too. Nice and springy and doesn't leave all the bone jarring jerking work up to your rod and guides.

Just me, There's some real advocates of braid out there. I've tried it and don't mind it but it does present some problems I don't like.