PDA

View Full Version : Crankbait knot or snap ??

mirage2887
05-14-2011, 08:59 AM
Hey guys just wanted to see what u guys use when crankin or using hardbaits. do you use a snap or tie directly to the lure and what knots work best for you. I tend to use a snap most of the time but will tie when the snap affects the swimming movment of the lure.

tacklejunkie
05-15-2011, 04:11 AM
If you are using a spinning rod with a hardbait, you will want a swivel on the bait to prevent line twist monsters from ruining your day. Baitcasters need no stinking swivels until they C-rig or double rig something.

Usually tying on a snap increases the action of the lure, adding positive results. (This is not always the case). View the action of the lrue for yourself after such modifications. Be your own judge there.

A lot of bait companies simply use a split ring instead of a snap as it is a more reliable connection for you to tie on to.
Either that, or use high quality ball bearing swivels if you're using spinning gear with the hardbaits. Forgo the snap on the swivel all together for security.

For knots, can't beat the Palomar. I mostly use the regular improved clinch.

migfrias
05-16-2011, 04:34 PM
Crank baits, I would not reccomond using a snap. Any type of snug knot would work. Top water baits that do not have a split ring, I would reccomand a loop knot (top water baits like the Zara, Sammy, popers). The loop knot on a top water bait will help give it more action.

miguel

smokehound
05-19-2011, 07:43 PM
Split-rings can help, in case you're all thumbs. That way, no loop knot is needed. Just tie a palomar to the split ring, and you're good.

brad1
05-19-2011, 07:47 PM
Def don't want a swivel on a hard bait it can kill some of the action of the swimbait..

smokehound
05-19-2011, 07:50 PM
Def don't want a swivel on a hard bait it can kill some of the action of the swimbait..Not to mention it can spook fish, looks weird..

tacklejunkie
05-19-2011, 09:02 PM
Have you guys ever tried fishing hardbaits on a spinning rod without a swivel?
Use the tiny Spro ones. They are rated crazy high lb'age while they weigh practically nothing.
I'd like to see ya do it all day on a spinning rod without one. Plenty of situations where you;re gonna want 4lb fluoro line on a tiny crankbait and a spinning rig all day, unless you run with the Japanese Pixy's and such.

Split-rings can help, in case you're all thumbs. That way, no loop knot is needed. Just tie a palomar to the split ring, and you're good.

The loop and Palomar are fairly close.
If I am correct both require the bait to "go through the hole" which is a PITA.

The loop is the proper way to do it though, old school, improvisation.

Also, a tiny spro swivel on a crank or hardbait isn't going to spook the fish too much more than your knot.. or a bead on a carolina rig. Now if you have giant 2x 2/0 hooks and 30lb line on there maybe..

vanillagurilla
05-19-2011, 09:09 PM
Splitring, no need for a swivel, if it spins spend the extra few bucks and get a good bait.

tacklejunkie
05-19-2011, 09:38 PM
The bait doesn't spin.
You get line twist. (with a spinning rig)
One word. "Wood.

vanillagurilla
05-19-2011, 09:52 PM
Only time I get line twist is if my bait is spinning lol.

tacklejunkie
05-20-2011, 05:54 PM
If you can't understand the concept of line twist on a spinning rod I don't know what to tell you. Accept for that if your bait spun, you WOULDN'T have a problem.
Never seen a bait with a bill on it spin. Not the stuff I buy anyways

vanillagurilla
05-20-2011, 08:47 PM
Lol wow ok bro, ya I don't understand physics or mechanics at all, or the fact that all the twist on the retrieve is let go on the next cast, ya no clue about it. Its not like I haven't fished 15 years lol.

tacklejunkie
05-20-2011, 10:36 PM
Only 15?
I can at least match that, with photographic proof on this site.
She hit, Rancho simi when I was 6y/o, 'gills on flyline mealies.
Didn't even realize that was "fishing", I thought it was just part of "being a kid".

I suppose you don't swivel your C-rig on a spinning rod either but have no troubs.
Carolina Keepers and such. lol

When you cast off a twisted line it birdsnests before exiting the guides and causes trouble.
Seriously, a tiny sh*t swivel does wonders. no snap. Using the stock splitring on the bait.
Have you seen how small those swivels are? Your knot will have more drag.
Specially on a crankbait with a spinning rod, because all you do is wind it in. It's not killing any action.

I may not do it on a jerkbait with a spinning rod but then again I wouldn't throw a jerkbait on a spinning rod. Or a crankbait for that matter, now days.

tacklejunkie
05-20-2011, 11:17 PM
hmph,
you even commented in that young TJ thread.
http://fishingnetwork.net/forum4/showthread.php?43147-young-TJ
I erased that photobucket account but I'll have the pics back up for you tomorrow.
All those fish were caught on a C-rig with a swivel. Caught my first brown one of those trips too.

Why you would even bring it to a question of skills is beyond me when you were the one who helped me to realize I didn't understand how to walk the dog.

smokehound
05-20-2011, 11:24 PM
Severe line twist= Caused by Improper spooling, allowing weights, lures, rigs to dangle freely from the rod-tip.. Trolling too fast..

I would only use a barrel when trolling..

There is an miscommunication going on here, VG is talking about a crappy lure spinning in a cyclonic motion.

tacklejunkie
05-30-2011, 08:30 AM
Went to silverwood yesterday.
Two casts with a scrounger and my 4lb line was twisted and unusable. Had to pull all the line off the reel and untwist it. Then put a swivel on the scrounger and had no further problems. Lol

Put one on a tiny lucky craft jerkbait too without hindering the action.
Pretty simple concept