PDA

View Full Version : LA Area Barracuda Fishing

HaFish
05-13-2011, 10:53 PM
I haven't fished on any of the open party boats out of Newport, Long Beach, Redondo, MDR, etc... and was wondering if anyone had some advice on which 1/2 day boat is the best. I am planning on taking 3 newbies on a 1/2 day trip for some of the barracuda action that's been going on. I have no experience with any of the landings in this area and some advise would be appreciated.

I was also wondering if someone could advise me on the type of tackle and weight of line I should use for the barracuda being caught out of these waters. I have caught barracuda before, but we were targeting Yellowtail at the islands when they happened to take our bait. Any help would be highly appreciated. Thank you guys!

kzhlin
05-13-2011, 11:24 PM
I haven't fished on any of the open party boats out of Newport, Long Beach, Redondo, MDR, etc... and was wondering if anyone had some advice on which 1/2 day boat is the best. I am planning on taking 3 newbies on a 1/2 day trip for some of the barracuda action that's been going on. I have no experience with any of the landings in this area and some advise would be appreciated.

I was also wondering if someone could advise me on the type of tackle and weight of line I should use for the barracuda being caught out of these waters. I have caught barracuda before, but we were targeting Yellowtail at the islands when they happened to take our bait. Any help would be highly appreciated. Thank you guys!

Check out the fishing reports section: http://fishingnetwork.net/forum4/forumdisplay.php?43-SoCal-Saltwater-Reports

Boats going out of redondo and nearby landings seem to be doing really well.

- swimbaits for bass with 1-2oz. hammer head jighead
- irons

Good luck,
Kevin

Hooked Up
05-13-2011, 11:57 PM
I usually go out of whichever landing the fish are closest too. Especially on a 1/2 day trip so you can have more fishing time. If the Cudas are at the "flats" then the Newport and Davey's Locker landings are closest then the Long Beach landings. If the bite is at Horseshoe Kelp then the Long Beach landings and/or 22nd st landings or ports of call landings which are about a mile away from each other. I consider this because 1/2 day boats only "actually fish" for 2-4 hours because they are slow! Lol Any spinning or conventional reel spooled with 15/20 lb mono and medium rated rod should do. I ALWAYS take a few blue/white jigs whenever I go Cuda fishing! Good Luck, The season is just starting to pick up! :)

beaver825
05-14-2011, 12:42 AM
I heard from my brother in law that a half day boat went out of davey's locker at about 7am on 5/13 and by 10am the boat was heading back in because all 20 anglers on board had met their limits.