PDA

View Full Version : Straight Mono or Colypolmer for freshwater swimbaits suggestions?

dfisher
05-13-2011, 07:32 PM
Whats a good brand and lb test should I use for swimbaits? I was thinking running straight mono or Colypolmer instead of braid to leader because I will be throwing swimbaits like the huddleston weedless 1oz.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

bsp
05-13-2011, 07:55 PM
If you're fishing small baits, 50lb or 65lb braid braid to 15lb or 17lb fluoro is fine. Straight 80lb braid works well too for Lunker Punker style topwaters. Once you hit the 8in and above mark though, it's time to start going with straight 20lb-30lb Izorline XXX, P-Line CXX, Maxima Ultragreen, or Big Game for the stretch.

bman90278
05-13-2011, 08:02 PM
Tell me its not true D!!!

The Drop Shot Jedi Master can't start throwing Swimbaits!!!!!!!! :)

b

dfisher
05-13-2011, 08:08 PM
If you're fishing small baits, 50lb or 65lb braid braid to 15lb or 17lb fluoro is fine. Straight 80lb braid works well too for Lunker Punker style topwaters. Once you hit the 8in and above mark though, it's time to start going with straight 20lb-30lb Izorline XXX, P-Line CXX, Maxima Ultragreen, or Big Game for the stretch.

So straight mono is no good for throwing smaller swimbaits?

dfisher
05-13-2011, 08:09 PM
Tell me its not true D!!!

The Drop Shot Jedi Master can't start throwing Swimbaits!!!!!!!! :)

b

Giving the dropshot a rest! haha..

tacklejunkie
05-13-2011, 09:16 PM
Giving the dropshot a rest! haha..
You won't regret this move, sir!

While you're at it, go with 30lb Ande clear or 30lb CXX moss.

Mono.

I went out and got skunked drop shotting worms today because I have thrown my arms out with the swimbait rod the last two weeks. Never caught such large fish in my life though! I can handle some skunks when catching monsters like this. ;)

I run it with one once baits no problem.
Then I tie on a 4oz bait and run it the same way.
There is no need for a light swimbait rod. Get the heavy and line up. It'll sling the 6"ers just fine too.

bsp
05-13-2011, 09:28 PM
So straight mono is no good for throwing smaller swimbaits?

No, it works fine, but if you've already got braid then you can still use it. The small baits just fish like normal baits, so there isn't a huge need for specialized gear. Some guys like the braid on the small weedless baits (smaller 3:16 mission fish or minnows) so they can pitch them back into the toolies. It just depends on how you want to fish them. Use whatever you currently have on your reels. When you start getting to 3oz and above is when line and rod choice starts to matter a lot more.

dfisher
05-14-2011, 03:10 PM
thanks guys.

I don't have anything spooled up yet on my curado 300, if I can get away with just straight mono/coly I rather do that. Going to pair this reel up with an XH heavy rod.

For my curado 200 I have 12lb izor XXX. I want to respool this one as well but not sure which way to go yet.. I have a light crankbait rod that I use for this 200 but I also want to use it for my Heavy rod rated 3/8-1 1/4oz. I was going to throw swim jigs with a 3" swimbait trailer and the 6" huddle with this rod.

riverside_angler
05-14-2011, 03:42 PM
Braid all the way! so many reasons why it is better.

http://tacticalbassin.com/making-switch-braid/

tacklejunkie
05-14-2011, 05:33 PM
Hmm that guy uses some of the same techniques I apply to my chatterbaits with his swimjigs.
Even though he says you can't do that with a chatterbait, I beg to differ!
Trailers taking over the action of the chatterbait (like he does with swim jig) and adding secondary and third actions is a big fish trick I have posted before.
Very good tips, somebody knows what they're doing on this video link.
http://tacticalbassin.com/swimming-jig-big-bass/
Big bass tips for real.

BTW c-baits is cool on braid.
Just always afraid of that stuff ruining my gear.
Happy with and no problems with mono and fluoro.

tacklejunkie
05-14-2011, 05:41 PM
In addition..
I went to 15lb on my 200 size reels.

10-12lb on my 100 size reels.

My luna 253 is the only exception. I use it like a low capacity japanese reel... for large swimbaits and 30lb test when it was designed for 20lb test max. It is well overlined and has only ten pounds of drag. That 20lb striper didn't stand a chance, once I was able to start reeling the line in. lol

dfisher
05-15-2011, 01:46 AM
Yeah I read up on tactical religiously, pretty good info there.

So anyone have problems with izor XXX? I use the 12lb in this brand and never looked back... Might go with the 25 or 30lb for the Curado 300?

bman90278
05-16-2011, 06:38 AM
Yeah I read up on tactical religiously, pretty good info there.

So anyone have problems with izor XXX? I use the 12lb in this brand and never looked back... Might go with the 25 or 30lb for the Curado 300?

I've never used 25 or 30 lb in Izor XXX, but I love every XXX I've used from 2 lb to 12 lb test. I know of some Salt Water guys who love the higher test XXX line.

Just get some line an start throwin them little weedless swimbaits before its too late. LOL

b

billy b
05-16-2011, 03:10 PM
Where's a good place to get the Izor XXX ... on line?

THANKS

dockboy
05-16-2011, 05:51 PM
Tackle Warehouse for online, though I'm not sure you need to. When I worked at Sport Chalet, we always had 20-30lb XXX in stock. Most good tackle shops I've been to have it also. I like Triplefish too. My buddy fishes it for his mono, its very easy to work with and very strong.
I've said this alot, but unless its a Punker or a Mission Fish/Mighty Minnow type of bait, no braid. You will hate yourself when you fish braid with any type of heavier SB and snap off your bait on a bad cast. We all tell ourselves we don't make those types of mistakes, but watching your slow sink TT fly off like a rocket after you backlash is something no one should have to experience. Mono will stretch and minimize those issues. I also like fishing hard baits on softer rods, and soft baits on the heaviest rod possible, so my line reflects that.