PDA

View Full Version : Three hours of fishing before work.

fishinone
05-13-2011, 12:45 PM
Khanh and I hit the lake up for three hours before I had to bail for a meeting at work.

I got hit right away as soon as I put my flyline pole in the holder. I picked it back up and the fish dropped it. i put it back down and it took off again but dropped it before I could get it out of the holder.

We were using leftover bait from StriperFest. It wasn't great bait but it was OK.

I saw a fish on the finder making passes back and forth at about 60 ft. and started letting a bait down from 30 to see if I could interest it. I was swinging the pole up while letting out line then stopping the line with my finger and feeling for taps on the way down when I got a hit at about 50 ft. I nearly swung for the stars but something didn't feel right. The line was tangled on my tip. I dropped the tip into the water and got it untangled instead of swinging. The fish was still there when i finished. I stuck it and pulled in my skunk breaker.

http://i454.photobucket.com/albums/qq265/fishinone/IMG_0152.jpg
About a 2 1/2 pounder I think.

http://i454.photobucket.com/albums/qq265/fishinone/IMG_0153.jpg
It looked this big after catching so many dinks at StriperFest.

We each had several baits grabbed and spit before we could get them. If we had good bait it would have been on!

KPN picked one a little smaller up on the fly line not long before we pulled up stakes.

We both beat the skunk using bait that was marginal on a very short session.

The Castaic striper bite is going, get out there!:LOL:

CAPT'N
05-13-2011, 02:36 PM
Nice job Ron, maybe almost "go" time.................

Capt'n

fishinone
05-13-2011, 02:44 PM
Nice job Ron, maybe almost "go" time.................

Capt'n

It's go time. With good bait they will quit dropping it, plus you'll get more pickups.

Moonlight fishing is a week from tomorrow. Are you going to be there?

SDDave
05-13-2011, 04:50 PM
Hey Ron

I was in the ski arm all morning and left around 3

Fish are starting to show, I got a model tad over 3 I'd say on the jerkbait
It came out of a pretty good school of fish that was on the meter in about 40ft
We tried bait the other night, probably a little to shallow and didnt give it much of a chance.
I'm heading back up to Pyramid in the morning to do a guide trip, Castaic just isn't consistent
Enough on the bass and striper to spend time there yet... Soon things are looking up.!

MikesOcean
05-13-2011, 06:38 PM
Great Job Ron!

You got my blood flowing about Castaic. Nice to hear that things are looking up. Hmmm.... I just might have to make it up there with some of our special ingredient bait. haha I might have to pick up some extra bait too. =)

Will you be there with Khanh for the moonlight event?

trail blazer
05-13-2011, 06:49 PM
Great job guys!!!

Biguns are coming!!,,,,,,,,,Thanks for the all the bite info,,,NICE!

See you,all soon

TRAIL BLAZER

CAPT'N
05-13-2011, 11:54 PM
Ron,

yes I will be at the night event. Called our buddy Khahn, but you had beat me to it.

Hoping to hit MDR that SAT in the AM for a bit O bait, then hopefully have a great night. might go this Sunday for awhile as well if the wind is not to bad.

Nice to see you two had some feeesh...........

Capt'n

cutbait
05-14-2011, 07:58 AM
My favorite engineer slayin some stripers!!

AND with the patented flanel shirt!!

Ron and Khan always know when the bite is ON!

MikesOcean
05-14-2011, 11:43 AM
Ron,

yes I will be at the night event. Called our buddy Khahn, but you had beat me to it.

Hoping to hit MDR that SAT in the AM for a bit O bait, then hopefully have a great night. might go this Sunday for awhile as well if the wind is not to bad.

Capt'n

That's where I go! In Seine.. Maybe I will bump into yOu. =)

koifish
05-15-2011, 10:39 AM
ROn
thanks for the report.

yolo
05-15-2011, 04:02 PM
Khanh and I hit the lake up for three hours before I had to bail for a meeting at work.

http://i454.photobucket.com/albums/qq265/fishinone/IMG_0153.jpg
It looked this big after catching so many dinks at StriperFest.

You should have let Khanh hold it. Would have passed for an 8 lol.

fish-o-haulic
05-15-2011, 09:09 PM
so it sounds like anything imitating shad is the ticket. or is bait like chovies and mackerel doing good too.

fishinone
05-16-2011, 10:58 AM
Hey Ron

I was in the ski arm all morning and left around 3

Fish are starting to show, I got a model tad over 3 I'd say on the jerkbait
It came out of a pretty good school of fish that was on the meter in about 40ft
We tried bait the other night, probably a little to shallow and didnt give it much of a chance.
I'm heading back up to Pyramid in the morning to do a guide trip, Castaic just isn't consistent
Enough on the bass and striper to spend time there yet... Soon things are looking up.!

Without pictures and an affidavit signed by the Attorney General, I can't accept that your fish was bigger than mine.:LOL:

OK really, they are active, they're really picky about he bait but we can overcome that.

Great Job Ron!

You got my blood flowing about Castaic. Nice to hear that things are looking up. Hmmm.... I just might have to make it up there with some of our special ingredient bait. haha I might have to pick up some extra bait too. =)

Will you be there with Khanh for the moonlight event?

Yes we're planning to hit it but we have an invite to an "unnamed toad lake" for Sunday so we'll probably cut out early.

Great job guys!!!

Biguns are coming!!,,,,,,,,,Thanks for the all the bite info,,,NICE!

See you,all soon

TRAIL BLAZER

Thanks T/B, Are the Bako Boys coming to Moonlight Madness?

Ron,

Capt'n

See you there.

I was at MDR on Saturday. It was a little slow but I got a big Cuda, 7lb 13oz.

My favorite engineer slayin some stripers!!

AND with the patented flanel shirt!!

Ron and Khan always know when the bite is ON!

Thank you C/B.

I like like to think that I'm kinda normal for an Engineer but I realize that I may be the only one who thinks so.:LOL:

One of my bosses said in a meeting one time, "Genius would be a good description for Engineers.". Without thinking, I chimed in, "Yea if Idiot Savant wasn't more descriptive."

I think that you will find that the fish bite because we are there!:Razz:

You should have let Khanh hold it. Would have passed for an 8 lol.

No Doubt! He makes those fish look huge. I'm jealous!:Envious:

so it sounds like anything imitating shad is the ticket. or is bait like chovies and mackerel doing good too.

Your probably right, anything imitating shad will work.

We were using "old" frozen dines. Experience tells my that with better bait we would have caught a bunch of fish. I was watching fish swim up to our baits on the fish finder then swim away. They were interested and would have taken better bait more readily.

Lowe Boat
05-16-2011, 01:49 PM
Nice job Ron.:LOL:

NOW---tell me the secret.

gletemfeelsteelgary
05-16-2011, 03:51 PM
congrats on the b4 work slays....I know someone who does that too : )

nice ta get a lil b4 work fix...

what was the water temp ?

Water temps are true key to the bite turning on into a heavy pattern...

We keep geting on then off hot weather....63 to 65 should be wide open but remember surface temps are slow to translate to true water temp....

Nice job on getting out there and exploring....
Need to do that myself just too busy with other waters lately...

Salute

Congrats

: )

Gary

fishinone
05-16-2011, 04:42 PM
Nice job Ron.:LOL:

NOW---tell me the secret.

If you want fish go catch them.

It's not a secret! Great bait is required!:Secret:

Pretty good bait, Need Not Apply!:EyePop:

congrats on the b4 work slays....I know someone who does that too : )

nice ta get a lil b4 work fix...

what was the water temp ?

Water temps are true key to the bite turning on into a heavy pattern...

We keep geting on then off hot weather....63 to 65 should be wide open but remember surface temps are slow to translate to true water temp....

Nice job on getting out there and exploring....
Need to do that myself just too busy with other waters lately...

Salute

Congrats

: )

Gary

Thanks Gary,

The surface temp was 67 degrees but the fish weren't acting like it.

Who is that guy who fishes b4 work?

gletemfeelsteelgary
05-16-2011, 05:48 PM
If you want fish go catch them.

It's not a secret! Great bait is required!:Secret:

Pretty good bait, Need Not Apply!:EyePop:

Thanks Gary,

The surface temp was 67 degrees but the fish weren't acting like it.

Who is that guy who fishes b4 work?
SURFACE TEMP OF 67 is sweet...not the actual temp but thats a REAL good sign....real good..

as for that guy who fishes b4 work....keep ur eyes peeled....he might very well be draggin a 12' tub....

listen for the Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz sound on the water : ) u'll know who he is : )

MikesOcean
05-16-2011, 06:21 PM
SURFACE TEMP OF 67 is sweet...not the actual temp but thats a REAL good sign....real good..

as for that guy who fishes b4 work....keep ur eyes peeled....he might very well be draggin a 12' tub....

listen for the Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz sound on the water : ) u'll know who he is : )

Look for two 12' tubs. One will be following the other!!! Hahaha. =)

fish-o-haulic
05-16-2011, 07:59 PM
I just wana know when will be a good time for some serious striper fishing. cuz i looking to go probably by the begining of june at the latest, and i dont wana get skunked again. I went on like one fishing trip last season and only two or three the season before last and only one of those trips were for striper. so i want to go again but when its worth it, cuz ive been kinda busy lately and havent had time for too much fishing. And i wont have time till about late june.

fishinone
05-17-2011, 09:55 AM
I just wana know when will be a good time for some serious striper fishing. cuz i looking to go probably by the begining of june at the latest, and i dont wana get skunked again. I went on like one fishing trip last season and only two or three the season before last and only one of those trips were for striper. so i want to go again but when its worth it, cuz ive been kinda busy lately and havent had time for too much fishing. And i wont have time till about late june.

Your timing sounds good. If you want to go and have the best chance of success you might want to get Trout Only to take you. Even if conditions change he'll figure it out.

gletemfeelsteelgary
05-17-2011, 10:04 AM
Look for two 12' tubs. One will be following the other!!! Hahaha. =)

Ohh happy joy joy...."goodie for me !"

I get to follow someone else for a change : )

When it comes to any kind o fishing sometimes you have to get out on the water and pay dues...looking at a calendar and theoretical seasonal pattern only goes so far...the fish don't have any calendar or timeclock...they feed when their conditions are right....

get out there and try...don't wait till U see a whole bunch of reports of catches...if U wait till then ur gonna be behind the cycle trying to catch up....get on the water...time on the water equalls fish as I say so often...

learn it now then when the bite goes wfo ur gonna have honed ur skills already..

if you live in quartz hill thats not really a huge run....

get out there and get some time on the water.....if U can't till june so be it....the bite should be better then but again....no one can ever truly predict fish activity....

every trip on the water will help u to anderstand the whys and hows and reasonings why U catch fish or not : )

good luck...

MikesOcean
05-17-2011, 10:40 PM

When it comes to any kind o fishing sometimes you have to get out on the water and pay dues...looking at a calendar and theoretical seasonal pattern only goes so far...the fish don't have any calendar or timeclock...they feed when their conditions are right....

get out there and try...don't wait till U see a whole bunch of reports of catches...if U wait till then ur gonna be behind the cycle trying to catch up....get on the water...time on the water equalls fish as I say so often...

learn it now then when the bite goes wfo ur gonna have honed ur skills already..

get out there and get some time on the water.....if U can't till june so be it....the bite should be better then but again....no one can ever truly predict fish activity....

every trip on the water will help u to anderstand the whys and hows and reasonings why U catch fish or not : )

good luck...

HAHAHAHA. Naaah. I'm gonna just anchor up and chill with fish or without.

Btw... I just picked up a little bigger tub today. Hope it floats and runs on Saturday. We will see. =)

fishinone
05-18-2011, 07:41 AM
HAHAHAHA. Naaah. I'm gonna just anchor up and chill with fish or without.

Btw... I just picked up a little bigger tub today. Hope it floats and runs on Saturday. We will see. =)

Great bait is required!

Pretty good bait, Need Not Apply!

Tell us about the tub.

MikesOcean
05-18-2011, 11:15 AM
Great bait is required!

Pretty good bait, Need Not Apply!

Tell us about the tub.

1999 Crestliner Fish Hawk 1600 Sc 16' L.o.a. , Beam 6'-6
1999 Johnson 50 2-stroke
Pacific Galvanized Trailer
Minn Kota trolling motor 74lb thrust w/ 2-31 series batteries / 1- house/start battery 24 series
Lowrance HDS-5 with 4.0 update done !
29 gallon livewell
Vhf radio w/ 8' antenna
2-3 rod holders
Niice skiff for bay fishing or walls & jetties or lakes

I know the downfall is that its 2 stroke and carb injected so I can't fish dvl

But I wanted something fun for lakes and bay fishing so I think this might be great for me for the price.

:) we will see on saturday

trail blazer
05-18-2011, 06:38 PM
Thanks T/B, Are the Bako Boys coming to Moonlight Madness?

Not myself but C,BAIT might be aABLE TO?

MikesOcean
05-18-2011, 10:08 PM

good luck...

Gary by all means bro I wasn't implying that!! If anything I'd be following your tub. Just don't pull no rubber duckies out of it cuz god knows you will be pulling fish! =)

We will just have to settle for striper blood shots!! Haha

gletemfeelsteelgary
05-19-2011, 10:29 AM
Gary by all means bro I wasn't implying that!! If anything I'd be following your tub. Just don't pull no rubber duckies out of it cuz god knows you will be pulling fish! =)

We will just have to settle for striper blood shots!! Haha

awww come on....I wanna follow ..... : ) Please ! oh please (just messin w ya' brutha'.....ur now my drinkin buddy too so beware...the smack talk will get worse....then I'll learn those super tuper top secret tricks U used to win striperfest...

Me an Bernie gonna talk sum smack : )

As for the moonlight...

I may follow U around OR....
I may or may not be going to the las vegas of the lake noise central spot where the lights are bright and the noise is plentiful : )

Ya neva know