PDA

View Full Version : What is your favorite fish?

beaver825
05-13-2011, 04:23 AM
Just back from fishing and was wondering to myself, what is my favorite fish and after much thought it has to be a Leopard Shark. I mean their coloration and pattern is beautiful. The fact that a fish can look so beautiful and yet be so powerful is amazing. I also like the Blue Marlin. I mean come on now who doesn't like that fish.
So I was just curious to know what fish is everybody's favorite? Can be fav to catch or eat or just the fish that you think is most interesting. would love to hear everybody's answers. Hope to see some good ones.

Stormcrow
05-13-2011, 08:07 AM
Hmmm. Well, I would have to say my favorite fish to CATCH would be Wahoo by FAR. To eat, my favorite fish would be Big Eye Tuna Sushi.

Cool question.

tacklejunkie
05-13-2011, 08:12 AM
It appears I can't figure out which fish are my favorite!
I'm always after something different :EyePop:

I know one type of "tail" I like to chase for sure though. :LOL:

Stormcrow
05-13-2011, 08:16 AM
Amen Junkie, I LOVE one good type of tail!

fish-o-haulic
05-13-2011, 08:28 AM
Just back from fishing and was wondering to myself, what is my favorite fish and after much thought it has to be a Leopard Shark. I mean their coloration and pattern is beautiful. The fact that a fish can look so beautiful and yet be so powerful is amazing. I also like the Blue Marlin. I mean come on now who doesn't like that fish.
So I was just curious to know what fish is everybody's favorite? Can be fav to catch or eat or just the fish that you think is most interesting. would love to hear everybody's answers. Hope to see some good ones.

From a freshwater stanpoint i would have to say, Striped bass for the fight and catfish for the fork.

tacklejunkie
05-13-2011, 08:35 AM
I think I'm gonna have to go with LMB.
Because they are hardest to get a double digit (Smartest?)
Also, they have treated me well. They are mean like ciclids and eat/attack anything.
Bass have bitten ME in my float tube!
Trout are very good to me also but they are ALWAYS biting. I know for sure I could go catch a trout right now, today, if I wanted.
I fish them when it's too hot for me to fish bass. Or when I want to get out of the city.. but as I learn there is places to do so with bass, too.

I don't know, they're both very different.

Striper is something I am new to, but has recently rocked my world as far as fishing and personal bests go. I'm still unsure how I feel about them. I ate a ton of mercury filled dinky striper from Silverwood... that's all I know.

I'd say LMB are the best sportfish I would prefer to be catching lots of big ones of.
I even hooked a few on the fly before and it is very exhilarating and demands patience and skill.

For the fork? "Dinnerplates."

I don't eat my salty fish anymore and I'm scared of toothy critters like butts and spots. Fun to catch though.

reservoir dog
05-13-2011, 08:43 AM
As a sport, gotta love the challenge and fight of a LMB. To eat I'd have to say salmon but I also love me some sea bass! And for sushi how about spicy tuna or some albacore. Oh and I also like long walks on the beach...LMAO!!!

fish-o-haulic
05-13-2011, 09:03 AM
meh, i personally never really got into LMB. I used to try to fish for them all the time in my earlier years of fishing. but after catching llke only one or two here and there i lost interest. I grew up on stripers and catfish, and lmb never held my interest for the simple fact that there smaller than striper fight close but not quite as hard as striper and are harder to catch not to mention they taste bad, and people throw fits whenever you so much as even catch one (I mean that figuratively) because every other bass fisherman out there claims they want to preserve the bass fishery and chew out every fisherman for catching one, but yet will continously fish for them while there spawning. I dont know not trying to start something its just my number one reason for stopping was because of all the grief i got for it every person and there mother felt they had to tell me the rules of fishing for them so i decided to stop. People cant mind there own buissness. Not trying to start anything just sayin.

tacklejunkie
05-13-2011, 09:16 AM
Every fish is like that.

I know trout spots people would not be happy if I released.
Same for halibut and spotie bass spots. Don't eat that spottie, don't touch that illegal halibut. Rules is rules. Unspoken or otherwise. They're there for a reason as you will come to see.

Best thing for that is not to post on forums.
Or be confident enough in your angling skills to continually outfish the masses who read your reports!

Marley
05-13-2011, 09:27 AM
Of the fish that I have caught...
Trout would be high on the list, probably because I can can them with relative ease but still be in it at times for the hunt (fly fishing a new stream.) Catfish are under-respected not only for their delicious white meat, but for their strength. Crappie are about the best eating sweetwater fish going.
My favorite saltwater fish to catch would have to be yellowtail because they are so strong. I love albacore for their mild white meat, totally delicious when barbecued and served with lime and fresh tartar sauce. Yellowfin and bluefin for sashimi. Ever have calico ceviche? (OMG, I actually admitted to it!)
But when it comes right down to it, I lust love to fish!

DarkShadow
05-13-2011, 09:28 AM
The might Squawfish by far.

Majestic in nature, amazing fighter, and takes streamers with the upmost delicate fashion.

tacklejunkie
05-13-2011, 09:33 AM
Catfish are my friends. :Cool:
Misunderstood creatures.

fish-o-haulic
05-13-2011, 09:50 AM
i dont keep the lmb. i throw them back immediately after taking them off the hook, not stopping for pictures or anything. its just people get so defensive over them.

fish-o-haulic
05-13-2011, 09:53 AM
Catfish are my friends. :Cool:
Misunderstood creatures.

they are my favorite overall fish. highly misunderstood.

City Dad
05-13-2011, 09:57 AM
The might Squawfish by far.

Majestic in nature, amazing fighter, and takes streamers with the upmost delicate fashion.

YOU JUST SAID THAT BECAUSE YOU KNEW I WAS GOING TO SAY IT!

Tilapia.

smokehound
05-13-2011, 12:11 PM
It depends, mako and other lamnid sharks spark my interest due to their high level of intelligence, some, like Porbeagles have even been found engaging in play behavior. if it comes to sheer awesomeness, these fish win.

Favorite sportfish on heavy line= YELLOWTAIL! Those things just dont tire out! Plus they taste fantastic.

Favorite sportfish on light line= Corbina.

reservoir dog
05-13-2011, 12:16 PM
i dont keep the lmb. i throw them back immediately after taking them off the hook, not stopping for pictures or anything. its just people get so defensive over them.

I'm the same way and try to get them back into the water ASAP...unless I break the record and land me a 30lb LMB then I'm definitely gonna strike a pose with the fish...LOL!

Hooked Up
05-13-2011, 12:48 PM
#1 Dorado aka. mahi mahi, They hit bait and lures trolled or cast. Fight good with usually many many jumps! Also taste good and are one of the prettiest fish ANYWHERE! :)

TROUT MASTERS
05-13-2011, 02:36 PM
Im always after 36-24-36.
If you use the right bail,they fight like crazyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy.
:Thumbs Up:

DarkShadow
05-13-2011, 02:51 PM
Im always after 36-24-36.

Only if they're 5'3!

http://www.newdubstep.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/sir-mix-a-lot-baby-got-back-video-screen-shot.jpg

beaver825
05-13-2011, 08:32 PM
Only if they're 5'3!

http://www.newdubstep.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/sir-mix-a-lot-baby-got-back-video-screen-shot.jpg

LOL!!!! that was a good one! best fish ever lol! man everyone has such different opinions and it is always awesome because if everyone liked the same fish I doubt there would be any left lol

tacklejunkie
05-13-2011, 10:06 PM
its just people get so defensive over them.
It's all a ploy to get you to not like fishing LMB. ;)
That way, more fish for "the people".

The way I see it is it's more along the lines of a fish god pleaser when I let my fish go.
they reward me with more fishes, and larger ones. Seriously I don't like gutting fish and eating them either unless I am camping and going for the outdoors experience. It usually ends up being a trout I will eat or a striper cause they take food from the basses.

If I kept all the fish I caught, I'd have to buy a couple more freezers to store them all in. Then they'd get wasted. Sense is made of throwing the fish back unharmed for me to catch again laters.

DockRat
05-14-2011, 08:25 PM
LMB are weak. http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u253/chiy0sen/ichiwhosweak.jpg

Dorado are the bomb.
Jumpers, Color, Flavor and teeth.
Not to mention the fastest growing. 40 lbs in less than 2 years.

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd270/series252/019_0806.jpg

fish-o-haulic
05-14-2011, 08:33 PM
LMB are weak. http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u253/chiy0sen/ichiwhosweak.jpg

Jumpers, Color, Flavor and teeth.

are we talking about the fish or the girl here

DarkShadow
05-15-2011, 10:02 AM
Not to mention the fastest growing. 40 lbs in less than 2 years.

And those 2 years just happen to be the 2 years after you marry them, correct?

tpfishnfool
05-15-2011, 11:13 AM
For Fighting, No contest,,, Yellowfin.
Eating Quality, No contest,,, Lings.

smokehound
05-15-2011, 02:49 PM
I heard Dorado (the characin species from south america) are powerful. Like mutant trout on steroids.

fish-o-haulic
05-15-2011, 08:42 PM
I heard Dorado (the characin species from south america) are powerful. Like mutant trout on steroids.

your talking about golden dorado. i heard of them on Hunt for big fish with larry dhalberg. There like mutant trout or something lol. But they fight like a striper mixed with brown trout mixed with largemouth mixed with catfish mixed with carp mixed with salmon, with a little bit of muskie thrown in. haha notice how i named like all off the hardest fighting freshwater fish.

dockboy
05-16-2011, 01:40 AM
I have caught lots of tuna, and love doing so. But hardest fighter, no doubt, the blue marlin. I got a relatively small one in Kauai, 130lbs. Tuna are strong, and fight hard, but a marlin is like hooking into a locomotive. There is nothing more crazy and awe-inspiring than watching the line go out and knowing there is absolutely nothing you can do but hang on.
LMB for the most sport. People will say what they will about bass being weak, that they will eat anything. Most fish will eat anything under the right conditions. I've also been told by friends that once you go to the salt chasing FW bass just isn't same. Nope, that really didn't pan out either. Bass are fickle. Thats why I love them. I'll fish for anything, but I always come back to bass without fail.
People tell me I'm crazy when they see my dozen plus bass rods in the car or on the boat, but its not for the fight or the table. Its because I'm addicted to the chase. I can be on a bite for weeks straight, and then its like the light switch was flipped, the bite dies and I have to restart all over again. I love junk fishing, knowing I have a dozen baits on deck and I can fish all of them that day. I love the fact you can fish one day and they are going nuts for every bait that hits the water, and then the next day you have to scramble for a bite. TJ already said it, trout can always be caught. I love trouting, but my heart belongs to the bass.
If we are talking table fare, then bluefin.

fish-o-haulic
05-16-2011, 08:52 AM
I may have said this already but striper. say what you will about them i grew up on them. at the age of 13 i went to the colorado river and fished with my uncle and my grandfather. i hooked into a 30lb striper fought with it for like 10 mins on 25 lb test. he broke me off in some rocks. I knew a guy that told of that he hooked into a 40lber at willow springs and that it took all of his line off the spool. dont know if he was on a boat or not, but reguardless striper are one of the best hard fighting freshwater fish there are. LMB fight good to but not as good, ive hooked into my share of lmb, but they never held my interest. like striper did, catfish are also good fighters because there like pulling in a tire or a boulder from the bottom of a lake. if you hook into any catfish over 8lbs get ready for a work out because kittys are heavy and dont like being taken from the bottom.

fishincrave
05-16-2011, 01:04 PM
are we talking about the fish or the girl here

What fish anyone see a fish in this picture LMAO

PUDD MASTER BAITER
05-16-2011, 02:51 PM
if were talking lb for lb .fresh water, pound for pound ,red ear,fresh water bonefish ,the hated carp.in salt water yellow fin tuna,any croaker type fish,and of course ,all the spieces of bass inshore,of course again all spieces depedning on size.

DockRat
05-16-2011, 07:59 PM
I still don't get the thrill for LWB ?
http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q99/BryanL_01/66bass_girl.jpg

Compared to these saltwater fish.

http://i970.photobucket.com/albums/ae182/fishing-addict/KADDYT1.jpg
http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg317/goldbiz/girl7-kp.jpg
http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t169/Puertovallartafish/4.jpg
http://i609.photobucket.com/albums/tt175/kayzasoze/Models/girls_fishing_in_bikinis_31.jpg
http://i609.photobucket.com/albums/tt175/kayzasoze/Models/girls_fishing_in_bikinis_03.jpg

DarkShadow
05-16-2011, 08:11 PM
I still don't get the thrill for LWB ?

I love fishing for LWBs.

DockRat
05-16-2011, 08:20 PM
Lankey Weak Bass?
lostwetbush?

That was a inverted M
W ?

DockRat
05-16-2011, 08:22 PM