PDA

View Full Version : What Fluoro?

KILLA
05-12-2011, 03:02 PM
Hey guys, well I had awful luck with Berkley 100% fluoro, Seagur Inviz ( been using ) was much better all around except for the frey's, and Pline Fluoro carbon coated seems ok, but don't last as long. I'm talking 8-10 lb range. Im trying to stay in the 20.00 range. Anyone tried the Pline straight fluoro, not the halo!

tacklejunkie
05-12-2011, 08:05 PM
Awful luck?
What's happening dude?
Line breakage?
How is the Seaguar freying?
How often are you changing spools?

I've been using clear Ande Monofiliment for anything above 6lb.

Just for the heck of it I'd double check all my rod guides for cuts/knicks in this situation.

I had a $250 G-loomis once that cut all the line I used on it. Freyed line and lost fish and weirdness going on left and right.

Now days I clean my guides with q-tips often and look for cracks that might cut line.

rrawstron
05-12-2011, 10:03 PM
it depends a lot on the type of reel you are talking about...spinning or baitcasting? The only non-Seaguar Fluoro I use is the Sunline shooter/sniper stuff.

riverside_angler
05-13-2011, 12:24 AM
i use the Berkley 100% Flouro and have had no problems. I also know of many others that swear by that stuff. Like TackleJunkie said, maybe there is a latent defect somewhere else.

dockboy
05-13-2011, 12:54 AM
P-Line Flouro is good stuff. Its a little less supple than InvizX, which is what I use. Have had no issues with fresh Seaguar, like any line as it increases in age and wear it's performance will begin to slide. I would also suggest you check for frays in the tip and other guide inserts.
I've begun switching out my gear to braid with flouro leader/topshots precisely for the reason you are encountering, because I am sick of paying $20-25 a reel every month before a tourney. For its price, Flouroclear is more sensitive than mono and sinks more like pure flouro.

vanillagurilla
05-13-2011, 08:59 AM
I like pline floroclear, really soft and limp, good abrasion resistance and easy on the wallet.

joetro474
05-13-2011, 11:45 AM
Pline Florclear: I just used this and did not like it. Had it on my bait caster and noticed that the coating just came right off. It ended up just being monofiliment. Its a new baicaster rod and reel. I wouldnt but the stuff again. Just my 2 cents.

KILLA
05-13-2011, 03:13 PM
it's on a Shimano Citica 201E, and since im a poor guy ive had the same spool of Seugar Inviz for over a month. I have checked the guides and found nothing while i was cleaning them off. I really like Seagar Inviz, but Im just looking for something similar but cheaper priced, or expensive and longer lasting. I also like the Pline fluorocarbon coated for the price cause that way I can change spools more often without going broke. There are not strength issues with either line, just wanted to see what some other FNN'Rs had to say. I've heard good things about Sunline shooter so I was just asking. Berkley fluoro only lasted 2 sessions on my reel.

smokehound
05-14-2011, 04:29 PM
I like pline floroclear, really soft and limp, good abrasion resistance and easy on the wallet.X2 pline is the only flouro that hasnt failed me. if your flouro is wearing off, its the guides.

tacklejunkie
05-14-2011, 05:47 PM
are you fishing a lot of rocky areas Killa?

Ps if you can afford $20 line, you's not a poor guy!
I'm stuck with the $10 Berkley blue box fluoro from walmart.
I'm pretty confident in the stuff by now though.

I usually use a spool up in reties or snags before it's gone bad.
I only buy this stuff in 4lb and 6lb though. Like I said I use mono for anything above 6.
Cheap and effective.

You guys remember how I used to say Vanish Transitions was crap?
Look, they don't sell it anymore.

tpfishnfool
05-15-2011, 08:20 AM
Try the red label seagar. Almost as good and about $5 cheaper.

Socal Bassman
05-15-2011, 11:49 AM
I don't know if I picked up a bad spool, but I was not pleased with the Seaguar Red Label. InvizX is not bad, but I think it's better on baitcasters than spinning reels. The 100% fluoro. from P-Line and Seaguar Carbon Pro (if you can still find it) will always be my top picks. Anything Berkley... Forget about it.

WormFisher
05-16-2011, 04:55 PM
I have used BPS, Cabela's, Invisix, P Line Fluro, Sunline Shooter and some others. For you cost basis try BPS, Cabela's or P Line Fluorocarbon (not Fluoroclear that stuff is junk).