PDA

View Full Version : Rpt.-Thur.-05-12-11 Insane Barracuda Fishing!

Tunaslam
05-12-2011, 02:54 PM
Fishing Thursday morning, May 12, 11, on Lal’s 18’ boat, the “Rubber Ducky” with friend Jim. We launched out of Davies in Long Beach at 5:30 am, our target for the day being Barracuda, with some Bass for spice. The seas were grease calm, and our ride down to the Huntington Flats area was super.

We were continually looking for bird action as we traveled south. It might be a bit early for the Barracuda to start to show, and wanted to catch some Bass while waiting for their appearance. We stopped on some structure near our destination, as Lal found some good marks, and we started a drift for Bass. The wind was non-existent, and the drift was very unpredictable. It was a slow pick on the Sand Bass and an occasional Calico Bass until 7:30 am when I noticed a heavy bird concentration, about a half-mile west of our position. There were a number of private boats some three miles offshore, just south of Izor’s and between the crashing birds and us. Several Sport Boats were outside and heading south of us.

We pulled up on the diving birds, and there were Barracuda boiling everywhere. All three of us were bit instantly on the Iron. These were again big fish, averaging well over five pounds, with Barracuda up to ten pounds, not a short in the bunch, in fact a five pounder seemed small. As we caught and released fish after fish, we were surprised, as all the boats outside of us didn’t seem to notice the action going on. Then one private boater pulled up on the school, and instantly hooked fish, then the Victory showed up, the Pursuit, Toronado, and many others. The hooping and hollering was non-stop. Now we were surrounded by about 50 boats, and continued to catch and release huge Barracuda, what a blast. Guess we got it all started today?

Myself with a 10 pound slug!
http://i1091.photobucket.com/albums/i394/tunaslam/Lal-Barracuda%20and%20Bass-05-12-11/100_1430.jpg

The school of Barracuda spread out, and split up. Most of the fleet was now to the southwest of us. I pointed north and another huge bird school was crashing in the distance. We ran to it, and again had Barracuda boiling in a 360-degree circle around us. Once again we had the fish all to ourselves for a little while. We didn’t have to move again, as the school seemed to remain near us until by 9:30 am; we had released nearly 100 Barracuda. I had asked Lal to bring his kill bag, as I wanted to keep some for smoking, which we did. Since I could bleed them and put them immediately on ice, I knew the condition of the meat would be ideal.

We were done with the Barracuda, so Lal moved us back inside to some structure and we picked away again at the Bass. Ending the day with a dozen Sand Bass to two pounds, a couple of small Calico Bass, a nice Cabazon, and a Chocolate Rockfish, all released.

It began to start capping at 10:30 am, we stuck it out for another 15 minutes and called it a day, as it was only a very slow pick on the Bass, and now the drift was very fast. We were on the trailer at 11:30 am. A bunch of happy campers!

A picture at Lal’s house of Lal, myself and Jim with Barracuda.
http://i1091.photobucket.com/albums/i394/tunaslam/Lal-Barracuda%20and%20Bass-05-12-11/100_1431.jpg

Thanks Lal, what a blast, another special day on the Ducky! Great to fish with you again Jim.
Hook up! Cory

TSHARKSLAP
05-12-2011, 03:18 PM
hey how do you cook cudda smoke them? I usally throw them back but thinking on keeping a couple and trying them out is it important to ice them immediatly . any help would be nice heard you have to bleed them to.

Tunaslam
05-12-2011, 07:53 PM
hey how do you cook cudda smoke them? I usally throw them back but thinking on keeping a couple and trying them out is it important to ice them immediatly . any help would be nice heard you have to bleed them to.

Bleed and ice immediately, then I like them fajitas style, with bell pepper and onion, olive oil and butter, pan fried together. I also found them to be excellent in a curry sauce. This is my second time smoking them, last time I was just learning how to smoke fish, didn't turn out too good, hoping for better results this time. Good luck, Cory

Jackpot Jimmy
05-12-2011, 08:27 PM
Nice report Cory! That 10 pounder is a nice one.

DockRat
05-13-2011, 07:04 AM
Cory, you are always on fire. Nice Job.
DR

Tunaslam
05-13-2011, 10:27 AM
Nice report Cory! That 10 pounder is a nice one.

Thanks Jimmy, your turn tomorrow! Talk at ya soon!
Cory

TUNAVIC
05-13-2011, 03:10 PM
Be sure as recommended,bleed and ice,after filleting,try to cut out all red meat,easy with a sharp knife.
Then just put some corn meal,salt n pepper,garlic pwdr,in a bag,after cutting in small pieces,shake a few at a time,in the bag,and deep fry!
If you do it correctly you won't be throwing them away anymore,lets us know how they come out.

Newfishsmell
05-14-2011, 06:23 AM
Those are some fat Cudas ... sweet

murrieta angler
05-14-2011, 08:35 AM
Very nice sized Cuda there Cory,
Is Lal that tall or are you 2 guys short....hehe
Robert
<><

JapanRon
05-14-2011, 05:53 PM
Hi Tunaslam,

Thinkin' I'll be goin' Mon, Tue, Wed next week. Should be some fish up closer in the next few days. I'll regret not going tomorrow Sunday ... I'm sure. Some Sundays are lite some crowded.

Hope you'll get a ride tomorrow for a report !!

JapanRon

Jaysuuun
05-16-2011, 08:56 AM
A guy walked into the LFS the other day all bloodied up. He kept ranting about how great the cuda fishing was that day. He wasn't kidding! lol Nice job out there guys those are some quality barracudas.

Tunaslam
05-17-2011, 04:54 PM
Very nice sized Cuda there Cory,
Is Lal that tall or are you 2 guys short....hehe
Robert
<><

Both, Lal played basketball as a center many years ago, he is over 6'4!