PDA

View Full Version : Exfactor and Perchin' Dave - Up North, BP & Leo

exfactor
05-12-2011, 06:37 AM
Exfactor & Perchin' Dave Fished on May 11th for 2.5 hours. We caught 30 fish evenly split, mike fished the Lucky Craft hopin' for halibut but the water is still a bit cold here. Mikey caught a 16" Barred Perch, his fourth this season and several other larger perch, none under 12"!! Perchin' Dave's largest BP was 14" but his big one was a Leopard Shark (Leo), at 53" and 30 pounds!! Caught on light tackle (you would laugh) and 8' test (on a grub) it was a challenge to land without breaking the line, a tense 45 minutes. Mike dove in after the fish twice it wiggled free, he missed and tailed the Leo the third time and held on for dear life. I thought he was going swimming!!! A classic Photograph & release day. A FUN FUN fishin' ! Thanks Mike, I had a great time!! The Leo is my personal best! P.D.

Here's the YouTube video of the Leo and 16" BP and surf conditions
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haLAmq7cCIU
http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j249/exfactor1/IMG_0509-Version2.jpg

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j249/exfactor1/P5110007-1.jpg

DockRat
05-12-2011, 06:41 AM
16"http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb130/Crystal_Phimmachack/Others/OMG-icon.gif That thing is HUGE !

State Record Leopard Shark is 49 lbs.
WTG DR

murrieta angler
05-12-2011, 07:52 AM
Holly Molly!!
That is one sweet Leopard Shark. I would have loved to see Mikey wrangling that thing to the sand.
Great job to the both of you.
Thanks for keeping it "LIVE" up North.
Robert
<><

Which Way Out
05-12-2011, 08:02 AM
Sorry I didn't get back to you Mikey. You and Dave had another great day.
Also thanks for your help yesterday afternoon. Wish me luck
Bill

Wingnut
05-12-2011, 09:06 AM
Great video... very cool! :Big Grin:
Excellent session gentlemen and thank you for the personal phone calls from the both of you. :Cool:
Mikey, this is your FOURTH 16" BSP this season?!? I'm still trying to get my first one...EVER. :LOL:
Dave, that's one heck of a Leo, beautifully done on light line. :EyePop:
Conditions looking great in my neck of the woods, maybe you & Mikey can come down and fish with us this weekend. :Wink:

Again, awesome job Santa Barbara S.W.A.T. chapter. :Thumbs Up:

bones
05-12-2011, 09:23 AM
OMG....Is everything bigger up north when the bite is on?
Great Leo Dave and congrats on that 16" pig Mikey.Now we are tied on BSP's but your still ahead with the count. I'd love to get 3 more 16 inchers on my UL stick.
Great job on that video too!
Keep up the good work Boyz!

exfactor
05-12-2011, 09:44 AM
Hey Robert, I thought Mikey was going to fill up his waders the last time, but he was determined. smile. Perchin' dave

ghetto dad
05-12-2011, 10:36 AM
NICE NICE job brother!! you had me at "16 inch....perch" LOL

HUGE Leo...very nice dave!

GD

exfactor
05-12-2011, 10:42 AM
Dave's a new member, and he's been borrowing my handle until he gets activated. Another surf monster feels the force!!!!!!!!!!!

exfactor
05-12-2011, 10:48 AM
A small venue has a perch derby each year in town. The biggest perch weighed after the babies are released wins. This year, the winner had one 3.2 pounds! :Bug Eyes: :Bug Eyes: :BugEyes:

ryryk
05-12-2011, 10:55 AM
Very nice guys. That's a huge shark. And I still haven't broke the double digit for a perch yet.
Nice job.

Keep em coming!

Ryan

olfishergal
05-12-2011, 08:33 PM
Nice guys, hope to do half as well this weekend
OFG

blackwater
05-13-2011, 09:19 AM
Awesome video, that's a huge Leo and BSP. :Shocked:
Great job Mikey and Dave, you guys are truly couple of salty veterans of the ocean. :Big Grin:
One of these days I'll make my way back up north and fish with the SWAT crew again. :Cool:

Perchin' Dave
05-13-2011, 09:33 AM
Holly Molly!!
That is one sweet Leopard Shark. I would have loved to see Mikey wrangling that thing to the sand.
Great job to the both of you.
Thanks for keeping it "LIVE" up North.
Robert
<><

Hey Robert, it was amazing. Mike -knows- how to handle fish of any size. The third and successful attempt I saw the wave a comin' and thought there would be -no- way he would stay standing without taking a swim. Hey, if that would have happened he would have still held on for dear life!! Ha! dave

Perchin' Dave
05-13-2011, 09:35 AM
Hey Bill, good to see you at the fishin' shop. Now that you have the rod and the stuff, I look forward to fishing with you again, make it a great one! Fish on! dave

Perchin' Dave
05-13-2011, 09:36 AM
Hey thanks, and I look forward to seeing you 'swatting' again, smile! dave

Perchin' Dave
05-13-2011, 09:52 AM
Hey Ryan, about breakin' the double digit on the perch?

Here's my story. My dad was an avid fisherman and me? I had a lot of luck when I was a kid. My dad died when I was 17 and I kinda let the fishing thing go. About 10 years back my buddy invited me out to my first ever surf fishing, great tide, moon cycle, conditions and I don't think I even did very well (probably only caught 5?). But as I watched the sunset, was on the water, and was with a great friend I decided on the spot that I could really enjoy this, and often.

And then (much to my wife's surprise) I decided to get great at fishing. I went -every- day for a year and got as good as I could, on my own. I remember the turning point, I saw someone nailing the perch and asked what he was doing. He refused to answer. And so I fished 100' down and he 'showed' me what he was doing. Fast forward, year two. I fished every day for the second year, once and twice a day (my wife was again saying, I didn't marry this person) and asked everyone what they knew.

For TWO years I went Every day and with any condition, once or twice a day (the joys of doing a home business, flex time). It became a joke to me. Hmm, the east wind is 35 knots and it is pelting rain, the tide is this, the waves are this, -where- can I catch? THAT day I found a 6' x 6' target in the surf and pulled out 17 perch in the 1-2+ pound range at the end of the breakwater in Santa Barbara. I kept looking over my back, was laughing, but nobody was out in the 35 mile hour wind with pelting rain. Except me.

Back to you Ryan. ASK everyone you meet what they are doing. Be a great listener. See those who are already doing double digits on perch and watch them. Learn from them. And then practice. You WILL get there.

My record for most perch is 78 in 3.5 hours . . . but that was after two years of practicing daily.

Practice. And soon you will be breaking your personal best records as well. Have a great day on the water!!

Perchin' Dave

Wingnut
05-13-2011, 12:39 PM
Hey Ryan, about breakin' the double digit on the perch?

Here's my story. My dad was an avid fisherman and me? I had a lot of luck when I was a kid. My dad died when I was 17 and I kinda let the fishing thing go. About 10 years back my buddy invited me out to my first ever surf fishing, great tide, moon cycle, conditions and I don't think I even did very well (probably only caught 5?). But as I watched the sunset, was on the water, and was with a great friend I decided on the spot that I could really enjoy this, and often.

And then (much to my wife's surprise) I decided to get great at fishing. I went -every- day for a year and got as good as I could, on my own. I remember the turning point, I saw someone nailing the perch and asked what he was doing. He refused to answer. And so I fished 100' down and he 'showed' me what he was doing. Fast forward, year two. I fished every day for the second year, once and twice a day (my wife was again saying, I didn't marry this person) and asked everyone what they knew.

For TWO years I went Every day and with any condition, once or twice a day (the joys of doing a home business, flex time). It became a joke to me. Hmm, the east wind is 35 knots and it is pelting rain, the tide is this, the waves are this, -where- can I catch? THAT day I found a 6' x 6' target in the surf and pulled out 17 perch in the 1-2+ pound range at the end of the breakwater in Santa Barbara. I kept looking over my back, was laughing, but nobody was out in the 35 mile hour wind with pelting rain. Except me.

Back to you Ryan. ASK everyone you meet what they are doing. Be a great listener. See those who are already doing double digits on perch and watch them. Learn from them. And then practice. You WILL get there.

My record for most perch is 78 in 3.5 hours . . . but that was after two years of practicing daily.

Practice. And soon you will be breaking your personal best records as well. Have a great day on the water!!

Perchin' Dave

That's a great story Dave and excellent advice...
Welcome to FNN and S.W.A.T. :Big Grin:

Perchin' Dave
05-13-2011, 01:11 PM
And thank you Arthur for all you do to make fishin' and posting a positive experience. Be GREAT, Excel, Make a difference and continue to give back. Catch you on the water soon, perchin' dave

Perchin' Dave
05-13-2011, 01:13 PM
Oh my DockRat, so this Leo was just a warm up for the big one? Can't wait. Perchin' Dave

ryryk
05-13-2011, 02:25 PM
Excellent story Dave, and better advice! you may see me on SCSF, BIKE2FISH, this is my home forum, welcome! (I knew you looked firmiliar lol)
I can't afford the gas to fish everyday but I get out there as much as possible. My boss was nice this week and gave me 9-5 for wed and Thursday this week. I went fishing both mornings! Back to 7-5 next week, then trouting the sierras next weekend.
I'm going to be dreaming about the pacific lol.
I might have the bug like you did!
Looking forward to your reports!

Newfishsmell
05-14-2011, 06:18 AM
Awesome fish guys , thanks for the vid .

flyngby
05-16-2011, 08:43 PM
Well done gentlemen!

Dave,

Welcome to FNN and SWAT in the same post! Thanks for a great introduction to yourself and also on the PB LEO!

Interesting in how you bettered your self! You bring back some past learning for me when I was becoming a State Certified Instructor to be able to teach my recruits.

Here is what I recall from that long ago learning experience. :Idea:

When told how or what to do you retain about 10% of the lesson. :Embarrassed:
When told and showed how or what to do it you retain about 50% of the lesson. :Smile:
When told, showed and practiced, you retain about 90% of the lesson. :Dancing Banana:

Anglers were reluctant to help teach you, but you were smart enough to stay close enough and pay attention and received the intel you wanted in the first place. You then followed through with 2 year of trials and tribulations in all the imaginable conditions and if those same anglers were to see you now I bet they wish that they had given you part one of the lesson! :Head Bang:

I see a lot of folks here on the boards asking where we were at, what we were using, pretty much thinking it will help them get better and get on the fish! There is more to it than those details. :Dog Piss: :Beat Stick:

I look forward to meeting you one day up in the Northern SWAT Playground soon! :Thumbs Up:

I can see it clearly in my head, Mikey was bouncing through the surf trying like a desperate seal to not let a meal get away before you finally beached the Brut Leo on the light line! :ROFL::ROFL::ROFL:

Mikey,

Congrats on another Brut Perch!

Steve http://planetsmilies.net/person-smiley-1122.gif
http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z286/flyngby/BlackWidow.jpg