PDA

View Full Version : Why are barracudas still on "do not consume list"

BALLERONBUDGET
05-11-2011, 09:16 PM
been awhile since i saw this same post this time of year , but forgot replies....; with the arrival finally here , these are one of the best fighting fish around... i never had any problems or sickness eating these .and are mighty good eats :LOL::LOL:.. what is dfg rationale for them on the list?????

exfactor
05-11-2011, 10:31 PM
They are not. Don't know where you got this, but according to what I read on F and G site, no mention of barries.

Hometown
05-11-2011, 10:56 PM
EX down here in the south bay i have read and actually saw sighns with this warning about skinnys may be just the ones around outlets but skinnys dont stick in one place long. but im thinking its because the eat chovies and dines in abundance lots of mercury i think
They are not. Don't know where you got this, but according to what I read on F and G site, no mention of barries.

fishinfresh
05-11-2011, 11:12 PM
mainly due to ciguatera fish poisoning. You can get more detail from the cdc.gov. I wouldn't be too concerned with the mercury content in chovies a listing of mercury content and recommended consumption shows chovies to have a lower amount of mercury compared to tunas. They're findings reflect that larger longer living fish have higher mercury for obvious reasons.

smokehound
05-12-2011, 12:53 AM
mainly due to ciguatera fish poisoning. You can get more detail from the cdc.gov. I wouldn't be too concerned with the mercury content in chovies a listing of mercury content and recommended consumption shows chovies to have a lower amount of mercury compared to tunas. They're findings reflect that larger longer living fish have higher mercury for obvious reasons.you cannot catch ciguatera from fish in the eastern pacific. Our waters are temperate, and as a result, do not support the reef systems that harbor ciguatoxin. However, you CAN get domoic-acid poisoning, although this is rare, and more common in people that eat large amounts of Sardines caught directly from our coastline.

dfisher
05-12-2011, 02:15 AM
from what I heard, down in the southbay area they are on the list along with sandbass.

DockRat
05-13-2011, 07:07 AM
from what I heard, down in the southbay area they are on the list along with sandbass.

The new list and zone is from Santa Monica Pier to Seal Beach Pier.
DR

beaver825
05-13-2011, 08:57 PM
The new list and zone is from Santa Monica Pier to Seal Beach Pier.
DR

pretty much everything in that area is on the do not consume list. I was fishing Seal Beach last year and a dfg officer was handing out pamphlets about the fish not eat in that area. so I came home and did some research and found that back in the 70's they dumped a bunch of chemicals in the ocean around that area. I think it said that it was Mercury and the barrels are starting to rust and the mercury is leaking out so that whole area is affected.

dfisher
05-15-2011, 01:53 AM
pretty much everything in that area is on the do not consume list. I was fishing Seal Beach last year and a dfg officer was handing out pamphlets about the fish not eat in that area. so I came home and did some research and found that back in the 70's they dumped a bunch of chemicals in the ocean around that area. I think it said that it was Mercury and the barrels are starting to rust and the mercury is leaking out so that whole area is affected.

I've heard worse stories and heard they still do dumpings these days. Wouldn't doubt it either...