PDA

View Full Version : Reconed Goleta Tuesday

Which Way Out
05-11-2011, 09:00 AM
Did a quick run around the Santa Barbara area Tuesday. Worked the beach and tossed an LC for an hour and reeled in only A LOT of salad from the weekends strong winds. Fished the pier and found dirty water holding close to shore due to the high tide. Walked out and threw a Big Hammer swimbait but could not reach the rocks and kelp.:mad: (Note to self, Get an longer Rod). A buddy (Peter) did hook up with a nice little Ling Cod about 19" long and released.
Water is still messed up from the wind and cold. Better days ahead soon.
l
l__ ______
l/|. ,[__:Thumbs Up:],
l---L -=OlllllllO_
()_) ()_)-~--)_)

murrieta angler
05-11-2011, 09:05 AM
Thanks for the info Bill.
Since I bought my 7'6" Clarus a few weeks back, I can cast my LC at least another 50-75 feet.
It was well worth the money.
Take care,
Robert
<><

Which Way Out
05-11-2011, 09:07 AM
Thanks for the info Bill.
Since I bought my 7'6" Clarus a few weeks back, I can cast my LC at least another 50-75 feet.
It was well worth the money.
Take care,
Robert
<><

Yea Robert I have a 7' right now and may get the 8'6" today or at least before the weekend

bones
05-11-2011, 09:53 AM
Thanks for the report from up north Bill. Roy was telling me that he has stuck a few shallow water lings lately also. I got my first on about 6 months ago. Toothy little critter chewed up my LC !!
So are ya going with a two piece 8'6" steelhead rod like Roy?
I'm thinking about picking up one for myself also.
Should be able to cast halfway to the Channel Islands with it !!

Which Way Out
05-11-2011, 10:46 AM
Thanks for the report from up north Bill. Roy was telling me that he has stuck a few shallow water lings lately also. I got my first on about 6 months ago. Toothy little critter chewed up my LC !!
So are ya going with a two piece 8'6" steelhead rod like Roy?
I'm thinking about picking up one for myself also.
Should be able to cast halfway to the Channel Islands with it !!

"Should be able to cast halfway to the Channel Islands with it"
I hope so, I could use an assist. Threw my neck out with that 7 footer last Sat.

exfactor
05-11-2011, 11:26 AM
Sux getting old huh Bill!

Which Way Out
05-11-2011, 02:02 PM
Sux getting old huh Bill!

You got that right........

JapanRon
05-11-2011, 03:20 PM
Hi Which Way Out,

The Steelhead rods have been an old style to fall back on for 30 years here on the West Coast salt scene. To still stay in the lite-tackle ballgame (throwing stuff like LC's) your only other option would be a DIY noodle rod. The one I'm using now is a converted 7 wt., 9 1/2 foot fly rod altered w/spinning rod guides and a foot length of PVC pipe mounted to serves as the lower handle and butt section. This makes the rod actually 10 1/2 feet long. Works great on ultralite stuff once one learns to not over-compensate on the casting force and arc !!

If you've not done this project ...... old fly rods (6 and 7's) are a dime a dozen, a set of guides pretty cheap or you can take them off an old rod + the extra guides to properly distribute load, a length of dowel you can modify to fit in both and connect the butt end of the fly rod blank and the larger diameter (hole) PVC pipe. I secured the connecting section with round-head screws. One check, make sure the reel you want to use will fit in the flyrods reel seat. I didn't do it myself but it would be easy to finish off the job with some cork tape over the PVC and even a butt cap. Hummm I just may do that myself now that I realize I hadn't. I wouldn't waste my time with any rod to start less than 8 or 8 1/2 !!

JapanRon

Which Way Out
05-11-2011, 03:30 PM
Thanks Ron for the advise. I have 2 fly rods but I don't think I want to tear into them. If I see a one cheap someday I might just try it out.

Wingnut
05-11-2011, 03:45 PM
I wouldn't mind catching a Ling from the surf. Mike (Bones) is the only S.W.A.T. member "so far" that's been able to do that. :Envious: Thanks for the update Bill. You need to head South and fish with us one of these days. :Wink:

MonsterGuppy
05-11-2011, 05:58 PM
I wouldn't mind catching a Ling from the surf. Mike (Bones) is the only S.W.A.T. member "so far" that's been able to do that. :Envious: Thanks for the update Bill. You need to head South and fish with us one of these days. :Wink:
Used to catch lings at Shhhhh!! Refugio State Beach by the point using Krocodile trout lures,

Which Way Out
05-11-2011, 07:11 PM

Funny thing is if I go south from here I will need a boat. Geographically speaking. :Razz:
Still can't get used to standing on the end of Sterns Wharf out in the Pacific Ocean and watch the sun set behind a hill. Fun to watch the tourist scratch there heads when it happens.:Twisted:

DockRat
05-12-2011, 06:56 AM
190 YARDS ! :Shocked:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWOsjjnfKtE&feature=related

Which Way Out
05-12-2011, 08:05 AM
190 YARDS ! :Shocked:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWOsjjnfKtE&feature=related

Thats crazy !!!!!!!!!!