PDA

View Full Version : Lake Cahuilla fun day!

P1M
05-10-2011, 06:42 PM
So I headed out to Cahuilla yesterday and had a blast. I was bottom fishing with just a night crawler and tried a few spots. The last spot I found I had a blast for a few hours. The wind sucked! The first fish on was a surprise in 2 ways. One it was a carp, and the second it was a good size but didn't put up a fight at all. It was like reeling in a log. Then I caught a bunch of bluegil, 2 little channel cats, 1 small mouth bass, and one little striper. All the little fish put up a better fight then the carp.

I went back today to see the lake is closed for summer hours Tues-Thurs. I was so bummed. I am going to try my luck for crapie next time.

Geraldlim
05-10-2011, 07:21 PM
Nice job Chris!
How big was the little striper? I always wonder if a concerted effort was put in to try for stripers if I could find some big ones in there using my boat or kayak. After all, every big striper in the canal has to end up in there right?

Hooked Up
05-10-2011, 07:34 PM
Sounds like the fishing is back! After they drained the lake approx. 5 years ago I was wondering how long it would be before it rebounded. 5 species in 1 day makes it fun! Good job!

P1M
05-11-2011, 07:53 AM
Nice job Chris!
How big was the little striper? I always wonder if a concerted effort was put in to try for stripers if I could find some big ones in there using my boat or kayak. After all, every big striper in the canal has to end up in there right?

Gerald,

The striper was about the size of the palm of my hand like the little guys I was catching in the canal however; A couple weeks back I had a good day with the trout and two of the smaller ones that I caught where missing parts of there tails and had some was scars on them. Makes me believe there is something bigger in there

P1M
05-11-2011, 07:56 AM
Sounds like the fishing is back! After they drained the lake approx. 5 years ago I was wondering how long it would be before it rebounded. 5 species in 1 day makes it fun! Good job!

I wanna try for the crappie because I saw the pic of the one Gerald caught and last yr about this time my little boy tied into the biggest crapie I have ever seen in that lake. So I know they are there