PDA

View Full Version : Piru 5/7/11 Shore fishing on top stick tournament day

joetro474
05-10-2011, 09:46 AM
I didn't know that it was a tournament day at Piru. I got to the lake around 6-6:30. Overcast and foggy. I thought it was going to be great morning. Water was supper clear. Started off with spinner for nada. Tried using some senkos and robo as the last time I was there they worked great. The problem with piru now is that the lake is so high there is a lot of submerged brush and logs. Good for the bass but tough using a drop shot from shore. I Didn't get my first fish until 10:00A. Using a rapala Joint shad rap. I decided to change my retrieve methods with this lure. I would tried to stall it at point. Got it stalled underneath some cover fish on. Fish off as quickly as it was on. I didn't realize I had a fish so close to shore. I didn't set the hook properly. Moved down a bit tried the same and this time I got one. Small little one but hey the skunk is over now. No love for a little longer. Than went to a spot in Which I saw some guy fishing earlier for nada. Line in bite. Reel him and took a pic back to his home. Tried same spot on the next cast. Fish on. Yeah two in a row. Took a pic sent him back. 4th cast in the same spot. Bamm another fish on. This one was a lot bigger. Might have been 3-4 lber. Watch the fish head to the surface and it jumps right out and shook the hook. :( Whats the best way to keep the fish on when he jumps through the surface. Do you reel in more? Than the next cast got another. It was 3 fish in on 5 cast not too shabby. Pics take 12:16 P, 12:18P and 12:26P. I must have found an ambush point. Than a tournament guy comes over. I told him to fish right there. He landed a nice keeper for him.

A decent day 4 fish 2 lost. By the way the winner of the top stick tournament won with 21 Lbs of fish. Largest caught was a 5 1/2 pounder.

plastics
05-10-2011, 10:31 AM
Thanks for the report. Awesome pics. Good job figuring them out. IMO, when they come to the surface like that, you have to keep them from creating slack in the line with their head shake because that's how they loosen the hook barbs and leverage your lure to pop the hooks all the way out. What I try to do is bow my rod tip to force them back down below the surface and yes ... reel like crazy in that moment to keep them from creating slack line. Just my $.02.

joetro474
05-10-2011, 10:36 AM
Thanks thats helpful. I'm still learning. I haven't had many fish that jump up like this one did. practice makes perfect.

Cesar74
05-10-2011, 09:58 PM
Nice job Joe! Thanks for the intel.