PDA

View Full Version : Anybody still using Zekes or Eagle Claw & Crave dough baits?

billy b
05-10-2011, 08:50 AM
I stopped in at Ernie's in June ... and saw they're still making some new stuff. I seem to recall some people saying Zeke's only works in the Sierras ... or works better in the colder water ... or something like that (case of Oltimer's disease, I guess)

CraigH
05-10-2011, 12:42 PM
I still have some Zekes and Nitro in my tackle box. I'll use them every once in a while if power bait isn't working on the theory that the fish may bite on something different, but I haven't bought any new jars in years. I grew up fishing puddingstone in the late 60's and early 70's and Zekes worked fine there. Back then it was worms, salmon eggs, velveta, or zekes for bait.

IncredibleHuck
05-10-2011, 12:46 PM
I stopped in at Ernie's in June ... and saw they're still making some new stuff. I seem to recall some people saying Zeke's only works in the Sierras ... or works better in the colder water ... or something like that (case of Oltimer's disease, I guess)

My mom loves Sierra Gold.... It's all she will use and she does really well.

billy b
05-10-2011, 01:33 PM
My mom loves Sierra Gold.... It's all she will use and she does really well.

Which color does she like and where do you like to use it

Thanks, Huck!

IncredibleHuck
05-10-2011, 02:07 PM
She uses the GOLD. She usually fish Jenks, GVL, or Gregory, and uses it also in the sierras when they go to Mammoth.

lovefofish
05-10-2011, 10:14 PM
eagle claw strawberry is the shiz nit :D

vanillagurilla
05-10-2011, 10:31 PM
I like purple berkly nymph for mountain lakes

billy b
05-11-2011, 01:09 PM
THANKS for sharing the info. I still laugh about Sierra Gold ... because my partner and I always got confused fishing the opener at June. When you say Sierra Gold ... we'd have to say Sierra green or Sierra orange, etc.

Berkley Purple, eh? What's your definition of "mountain lakes?" Anything in the Sierras? ... or the ones you hike into? I've never tried it ... guess I'll have to buy another jar?

Frequent Flyer
05-11-2011, 05:20 PM
suprisingly at corona we wer throwin the berkely garlic and they werent bitin but wen we used the eagle claw garlic we got consistently bit

billy b
05-11-2011, 05:38 PM
They have a garlic dough bait ... or did you mean you used their sauce/dip?

Frequent Flyer
05-11-2011, 06:08 PM
its a garlic chartruse dough bait. i got it at the corona bait shop

billy b
05-12-2011, 09:59 AM
FF ... thanks for the reply. You know, I've heard a few people say on this board ... that you not only need to try everything you have ... but also believe the fish will look for something different. I wonder if that means the regular power baits (chartreuse and rainbow sparkle, corn, etc) are not working as well? How about Turbo ... or the Chroma - glow? I still have them.