PDA

View Full Version : Castiac Upper 5/10

laserbrn
05-10-2011, 05:26 AM
I finally got around to getting a storage spot for my boat right near the lake. I have wanted to to do that so that I can hop on the boat when I get off of work and do a little fishing.

Since I needed to go get the boat and stick it up there I decided I might as well go buzz around the upper lake (haven't seen any reports lately) and see what the story is.

After seeing so much activity and having such a great time with TO @ Pyramid on Saturday I figured I'd go troll around for a couple of hours and see if I could at least FIND the fish.

I went around the fishing arm and covered it solid for about 4 hours. No signs of life to be found. I checked anywhere from about 25-30ft to 300ft and I'm still only seeing fish on the metere down 120+ft and not in large #'s. The surface temperature started out @ 65 degrees, but it got cold and started raining and that quickly dropped to 63. It's a few degrees colder than Pyramid, but I would have expected a little more activity. Oh well, few more weeks at least for Castaic.

blackberg
05-10-2011, 09:59 AM
thanks for the recon, been wondering about up there,
oh and did you time travel?
today is the 10th :Envious:
-bb

laserbrn
05-10-2011, 10:33 AM
That's what happens when you look at a watch that has the wrong date on it. Obviously that was on the 9th. I'm going to go check out the fishing arm today and see if I can find anything. It seems I'll be up at Pyramid again this weekend as Castaic isn't yet ready, but it is just sooooo close and I have an annual pass so the price is better ;)

Philly_D
05-10-2011, 02:15 PM
I finally got around to getting a storage spot for my boat right near the lake. I have wanted to to do that so that I can hop on the boat when I get off of work and do a little fishing.

Since I needed to go get the boat and stick it up there I decided I might as well go buzz around the upper lake (haven't seen any reports lately) and see what the story is.

After seeing so much activity and having such a great time with TO @ Pyramid on Saturday I figured I'd go troll around for a couple of hours and see if I could at least FIND the fish.

I went around the fishing arm and covered it solid for about 4 hours. No signs of life to be found. I checked anywhere from about 25-30ft to 300ft and I'm still only seeing fish on the metere down 120+ft and not in large #'s. The surface temperature started out @ 65 degrees, but it got cold and started raining and that quickly dropped to 63. It's a few degrees colder than Pyramid, but I would have expected a little more activity. Oh well, few more weeks at least for Castaic.

Is it hard to find storage up there? whats the price range? been going to pyramid a lot, id save some bucks if i didnt have to keep towing so much. I think i saw you and TO saturday. maroon basstracker?

gletemfeelsteelgary
05-12-2011, 09:57 AM
Hats off to ya for tryin’…that’s what it takes sometimes…just go and see whats up…

recon..so to speak.

Honestly when the bite starts up there (could be any day-we’re right at due date)…I’d lay odds it will develop into a bait bite for the 1st several weeks..

Always hard to predict fish activity but that’s my guess…

Sorry you didn’t get more action but I’m sure you learned something about where the fish are dwelling…
That will prove helpful in the long run..

Gotta get up there myself…..soon..just so many places that are switched on right now it’s very difficult to choose..

Nice try, next time you’ll squeeze ‘em out : )

Stay on ‘em : )

Gary

gletemfeelsteelgary
05-12-2011, 10:06 AM
Here’s some ispiration…

I caught this one on bait there on May 1st a few years back..
http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn284/garywuebben/up_striper5-1.jpg
But that year the lakes conditions had gone through a whole different pattern for the year, this years been a strange one with all the water level fluctuations…

We should have some fair conditions afoot when this heat translates to water temps though…

With the water flowing out regularly into the lagoon, that creates current in the upper and those mama spawnin’ stripey are gonna start playin soon enuff while they lay their eggs,,,

Stay on ‘em : )

Gonna have to put some time in there myself….rather than just theorize…

I’ll definitely fish the night event on the 21st

sidified
05-13-2011, 01:33 PM
Cudos on finding a place to park your boat...My haul is 52 miles from Calabasas. Fuel bill is no bueno...I may switch over to methane if I can figure a way to stuff into my tank all the BS I hear at work...