PDA

View Full Version : Pyramid Striper 5/7/11 I know... I know. A week late!

MustHuntAndFish
05-09-2011, 05:29 PM
Was planning on Striperfest being my first trip out after 2 months of no fishing. Was looking forward to finally meeting some FNNers but it was not to be as the date chosen fell on the weekend of my daughters birthday.:Crying:

So I had things to do early Saturday but was determined to at least get in on the afternoon bite. Was happy that the wife and kids wanted to tag along but they turned my 50 min drive (including the stop at Gallion's) into a 90 min drive when they decided they had to stop for some lunch.:Rolls Eyes:

So we pull up to the gate at 3pm... The lady says, "Sure you wanna go in? Boats can launch for another 1/2 hr but you have to be off by 5:30.".... Yes, I'm gettin on the water! She smiles and says "Ok, have fun!"

We launch, hightail it (no trolling) to a point that I had in mind and drop anchor. My wife and son's pole were already rigged so I just added bait and they casted out. As I'm rigging my daughters line, I notice that the wind pushed us off of our spot.:mad: So I get the boat back over the spot and re-anchor.

Now we have 3 lines in the water and before I can rig my line, my wife yells... "Awe! Had a bite but it got off!" She's looking back at me, all the while here pole is in "bendo" mode. She realizes it and the fight is on... It seems like a really good fish as she fights it for a few minutes and finally its in the net and on the boat. 2-1/2 to 3 lbs... Not what I thought but not bad.

Then my son hooks up...... A twin of my wifes fish!
Pics of his battle!

I'm thinking if we can get a few more of this grade of fish, I'll be stoked. And that's when the "Dinkfest" began. Good action for 1-1/2 hrs of fishing time but all dinks after the first 2 fish. Ended up keeping 2 Nice Schoolies, 5 Dinks, and releasing 3 Micro Dinks... but I was stoked anyway, watching the kids have fun.

Quote of The Day....
When I explained to my son that the marks on the fishfinder meant that there was a school of fish under the boat because fish swim in schools he said.... "Well if these fish are in school, then we are only catching the kindergarden fish!" :ROFL:

Here's some pics of the "Kindergardners"

Sorry... No Blood!

SDDave
05-09-2011, 10:39 PM
Nice report, way to get the family tuned into fishing, good times!

fishinone
05-10-2011, 09:59 AM
Nice catch. That's good for such a short session.

Kindergarten fish! LOL

MustHuntAndFish
05-10-2011, 10:54 AM
Nice report, way to get the family tuned into fishing, good times!
Lake Castaic Guide Services
www.DaveHorstOutdoors.com
DaveH@DaveHorstOutdoors.com

Thanks Dave... Getting my kids into fishing is just a natural thing for me. I grew up fishing the Western Sierras with my Dad, Uncles and Cousins.... Lots of great memories so introducing my kids was a no-brainer and I'm one of the lucky ones whos wife likes fishing too.

Nice catch. That's good for such a short session.

Kindergarten fish! LOL

Fishinone... I'm getting better as finding Mr Stripey with the info I pick up from FNNers such as yourself. One of the keys to success in this short session was picking up some of that "Fresh Dead" that so many of you swear by. I'm now a firm believer that fresh dead vs frozen could be the difference in beating the skunk or between a so so bite and WFO.

Fishthewhaler
05-10-2011, 05:34 PM
I used day old fresh dead bait and it was WFO. Anchovie outfished sardine 10 to 1. Just make sure they are on ice from when you get em, to when you use em. Dont freeze! Kitties are lickin too

MustHuntAndFish
05-11-2011, 04:15 PM
Good info Whaler...

I still have what was left the fresh dead on ice. Wanted to get back out there and use them today but it didn't work out for me. Maybe this weekend... Gotta take advantage of the hot bite.

I wonder how long until they get too mushy/soggy? Maybe too late already... Guess I'll have to check them before I pass up Gallion's.