PDA

View Full Version : Homemade powerbaits that actually float!

TheAsianGuy
05-09-2011, 04:52 PM
Hi everyone. I know that each and everyone of you have some odd recipes instead of of the Berkeley and other expensive brands powerbaits. My personal favorite is the "Yap Cheese", which lands 1 to 4 lbs rainbows easily. But, the freaking baits have to be rigged using odd bobbers techniques.

However, after seeing how the Trout Ninja TV guy worked his magic on his baits, I'm using every functioning brain cell to experiment all possible approaches, and I found one to share, and hope you guys can use it to your advantage.

Steelheadpimp (http://fishingnetwork.net/forum4/showthread.php?56101-Home-made-power-bait.Works-the-same-at-1-10th-the-price.) came up with a unique bait that wide used for carps, minus the baking for floating purposes. However, using cork powder (0.01 to 0.2mm in size) or granules (0.3 to 1.2mm in size) to incorporate into your bait will make it float. The ratio is 0.75-to-1 base mix for slightly floating, and upwards of 1.25-to-1 cork-to-base mix to make it float like a freaking cork..no punt intended (cork materials can be found at marylandcork.com which is the only place selling this material in the U.S.A). So, half of your bait dry weight is cork materials, which will completely exit the fish as undigested cellulose, unlike the Berkeley toxic crap. The cork will help sustain your heaviest oil concoction above the bottom until your bait starts to fall part. This can be used with a slip egg rig. Best rig to use for highest line sensitivity to strikes near the bottom.

My suggestion for binding agent is corn starch, ground dried seaweed (to mix into dry base materials before cooking), or corn syrup with flour. Try not to to use cotton, since cotton loose fibers will damage smaller fishes intestinal tracts or gills, which surely kill them within a day or two. Malleable bait is essential for hooks, since floating bollies can be too hard to hook into smaller hooks, and risk hooking yourselves pushing those hooks through those harden bollies/biscuits.

If any one wants for me to post some experimentation results, let me know. If you are doing it on your own, please, please! post some results. I would love to see them. I'm a scientist and a tinkerer. I just love to see smiles on anglers' faces.

tree
05-09-2011, 05:04 PM
Wow! A great idea with the cork particles! patent your formula and you're ready to market it as eco-friendly and nontoxic!

edit: i just read the other thread, ignore the marketing, just mass produce and share with all of us :P

TheAsianGuy
05-09-2011, 05:09 PM
Nah..recipes were meant to be shared. Capitalizing on free ideas is like stealing pies from other people and sell it back to them. No thanks. However, if they want purchase because they don't want to make it, that's a different story.