PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone hear no how to cast old bait casters.

fish-o-haulic
05-09-2011, 04:36 PM
I mean exactly what the title says. I can cast the newer baitcasting reels just fine and pretty far too. But my grandpa has an older one that i cant cast for the life of me. Its the closed one not the one with a button on it. I know the older ones were really orignially meant for trolling as my grandpa keeps telling me. So anyone know how. Just curious havent really visited this part of the site much and just thot as a member i should contribut at least one thread to each section.

JapanRon
05-10-2011, 08:51 AM
Hi fish-o-haulic,

Are you saying it doesn't have a spool tension knob ? Closed as in spin-caster .... no .... you said no button or lever ..... model/maker ?

JapanRon

fish-o-haulic
05-10-2011, 09:02 AM
Hi fish-o-haulic,

Are you saying it doesn't have a spool tension knob ? Closed as in spin-caster .... no .... you said no button or lever ..... model/maker ?

JapanRon

Im talking baitcaster you know the ones that are originally harder to cast. they were originally made for trolling. The reel your talking about are the reels that me my brother uncle grandfather and every other kid who just learns how to fish uses for there first time. not spincast baitcast.

tacklejunkie
05-10-2011, 12:01 PM
Use the force, Luke!

(Ok sorry no more Starwars references. I swear I'm not a Lucas nut)

tacklejunkie
05-10-2011, 12:03 PM
I think what you are talking about is called a conventional reel?

fish-o-haulic
05-10-2011, 12:07 PM
I think what you are talking about is called a conventional reel?

yeah i forgot what you call them. i always knew them as baitcasting reels

CraigH
05-10-2011, 12:30 PM
I'm not sure, but I think he's talking about the old "knuckle buster" baitcaster reels that don't have a free spool button or drag. They were usually silver in color, and instead of a drag there was a direct connection between the spool and handle. When casting or if a fish is taking out line the handle turns backwards and you use the hand that's not holding the rod to slow down the handle (if you do it wrong you get hit on the knuckles). I played around with casting one of these a long time ago. Basically you adjust the free spool knob so that it will let line out then cast, using your thumb to prevent a backlash. It takes a lot of practice, a fairly heavy weight, and a very educated thumb.

fish-o-haulic
05-10-2011, 12:34 PM
I'm not sure, but I think he's talking about the old "knuckle buster" baitcaster reels that don't have a free spool button or drag. They were usually silver in color, and instead of a drag there was a direct connection between the spool and handle. When casting or if a fish is taking out line the handle turns backwards and you use the hand that's not holding the rod to slow down the handle (if you do it wrong you get hit on the knuckles). I played around with casting one of these a long time ago. Basically you adjust the free spool knob so that it will let line out then cast, using your thumb to prevent a backlash. It takes a lot of practice, a fairly heavy weight, and a very educated thumb.

ya thats what im talking about