PDA

View Full Version : Sturgeon fishing near Rio Vista May 4 & 5

FishWisher
05-09-2011, 02:40 PM
The weather and the tides were predicted to be just too good to miss on the Sacramento River near Rio Vista, Ca. I headed for Rio Vista with the C-Dory in tow on Wednesday with plans to fish two days. My friend, Willie, would join me on Day 2.

I pretty much frittered away the day trying to fish shallow areas of the Old Sac near Isleton on Wednesday, and spent much of my time removing weeds and other debris from my leader. It was frustrating and was not productive. The next day's current would be considerably slower and therefore be less "weedy" - or so I hoped.

After breakfast in Rio Vista, Calif on Thursday, Willie and I headed about five miles down the Sacramento River to the Decker Island area to try for sturgeon. We managed to catch a few small stripers - even on eel usually attractive only for sturgeon - and all were tossed back.

A nearby boat caught and released a sturgeon of about 68 inches on Thursday morning, and that encouraged us. But it was not be a sturgeon day for us. We kept at it 'til about 1530, then called it quits. No sturgeon this trip, but fishing still beats working. Working? Willie and I haven't had a job in years - how would we know?!

It was still somewhat weedy, but not as bad as the day before.

Lots of photos from the trip and more story at my homepage: http://fishwisher.wordpress.com/2011/05/06/959/

(I sell nothing on my site and it is not a forum. It has my personal fishing stories and photos only.)

Being humbled is good for the soul, they say. And there's always next week...

Wingnut
05-18-2011, 09:23 PM
Never caught one myself, I heard that they pull like a freight train. :Twisted:
Thanks for sharing the report. :Cool: