PDA

View Full Version : Bait tank ideas

vanillagurilla
05-08-2011, 07:06 PM
Thinking about building a bait tank for my cousins boat, if anyone has links or pics plz post them. Just looking for ideas.

IN2DEEP
05-08-2011, 09:09 PM
If you want to hold down the cost, a rubbermaid roughneck trash can works real well
I've made a few of them
The one in the post is a 30 gal
I currently use a 20 gal unit
Check it out: Scroll down to get to the bait tank
http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=228694

vanillagurilla
05-08-2011, 09:33 PM
Thanks deep, I'm trying to figure out how to do it so the tank is in the boat. Gota take some measurements but basicly it's looking like a square tank that's taller than it is wide, boat is only a 16ft marlin, open bow kinda like a bay liner. The problem witha bucket on the swim step is that its quite a reach lol.

vanillagurilla
05-10-2011, 04:17 PM
I think I'm going to go with using a ice chest, there bait should stay cooler in there (no pun intended) and just run a 500gph bildge pump on the transom for circulation and a 1 1/4 drain near the top. Sound like it would work?

Hometown
05-10-2011, 09:27 PM
THE RUBBER MAID TRASH CANS WORK GREAT THEY ARE ROUND AND MOST ICE CHEST ARE SQUARE AND YOUR BAIT WILL BEAT ITSELF UP RUNNING INTO CORNERS JUST AS LONG AS YOU HAVE GOOD WATER CIRCULAR FLOW IN AND OUT AND DONT CROWD THE BAIT A TRASH CAN WORKS GREAT DRILL A HOLE IN THE SIDE ABOUT 2 OR 3 INCHES FROM BOTTOM FOOT PVC CONNECTED TO 90 PVC DRILL HOLES IN ONE SIDE OF UP RIGHT CAP TOP AND PLACE 3 INCH DRAIN NEAR TOP OF CAN AND DRAIN OVER SIDE TRANSOM MOUNT PUMP LIVE BAIT
QUOTE=vanillagurilla;545125]I think I'm going to go with using a ice chest, there bait should stay cooler in there (no pun intended) and just run a 500gph bildge pump on the transom for circulation and a 1 1/4 drain near the top. Sound like it would work?[/QUOTE]

vanillagurilla
05-12-2011, 07:37 PM
Went to home depot to grab some fittings and screws, ended up picking up a 20gal trash can to go the suggested route. Now the next question is how many baits? 1/4 scoop?

IN2DEEP
05-14-2011, 06:06 PM
I've been putting a 1/2 scoop in mine without any issues

I'm using a Rule 500 GPH transom mount pump

If you already haven't finished it...

-Be sure to set up the fill pipe so that it creates a circular current along the tank wall (very important)
Don't think the direction matters but maybe somebody else knows better :Neutral:

-Set up the drain pipe so the water level is 4" from the top lip

-Silicone and screw down the lid

-Cut a 12" diameter opening in the lid

You'll need a round, white 3 gal bucket to scoop the water out, to make it light enough to lift and empty it out

vanillagurilla
05-14-2011, 07:28 PM
I used the same pump, worked good untill the drain holes clogged and it started draining from under the lid but thats no big deal. Fixed the lower unit and now it is having running issues. We were fishing near the barge and the motor died and wouldn't start, my hat is off to the lifeguards who gave us tow all the way back to the dunes and wouldn't take any money.

tunagod1
05-15-2011, 10:44 AM
To aviod leakage problems, place the inlet flow hose to the top of the trash cam, run a 90deg elbow and connet a straight piece of pvc down toward the bottom and cap it off, Drill 8 3/16 holes evenly spaced, aim the holes toward one side this will creat a circular current in the tank, the bait will swim into the current in a circular fashion. Stay away from square containers as the bait will nose in the corners and die. You need to provide this curent to give the bait a direction to swim. No direction equals dead bait. We built on after severl attempt, we now have a bait tank that performs superbly, only a handfull of dead bait at the end of the day.

Also the drain need to be extended from the top of the tank use a tubular mesh screen to avoid clogging of the drain.

vanillagurilla
05-15-2011, 01:22 PM
Water flow is good, just need to open up the drain a bit.