PDA

View Full Version : 5/7/ - I caught that bug again

eggot
05-07-2011, 04:41 PM
So here's some quick history. I got into fishing early like most of you around 5 years old back when I was living in the bay. However, unlike most people who get started when their dads take them trout or catfishing, my dad didn't mess around with that. He was strictly about the striped bass and salmon back then and that's what I was forced to start with. I'd remember him picking me up from kindergarten and rushing straight to Benicia to catch the salmon fry stockings because those stockings equaled a striper feast. Fast forward years later, with the dfg cutting that stocking program in Benicia and my family moving to socal ended our striper fishing days. We filled that void with yellowtail, yft, and albies, which made us really forget about Mr. Stripey. I'd see all your guy's striper reports, but it never really got me excited again..Our style up north was some bait n wait, but mostly chucking out hair-raisers, rat-L-traps, and Cordells. Plus we were shore fisherman so I could never relate on the trolling that you guys do. So now onto today...

One of my frat bros from college came up to visit and wanted to fish. Hes more of bait n wait kinda fisherman so I thought with all the action at Pyramid, we should head there. Picked up some anchovies from Gallions and got to Pyramid around 7:15am. We were discouraged to hear that they stopped renting out boats like 7 years ago (shows how long it's been since I've been there and probably explained why the marina number didn't work). Wasted an hour there and made the run back to Castaic. It was a gamble especially since striper fishing is super slow, but I didn't wanna waste the anchovies and there's always LMB to fall back on.

Rented a boat and got into the water by 10. First stop was around the cliffs by the west ramp, just outside of shore casting range. I put a piece of anchovy on a small hook and tiny splitshot on my 4lb. set up and let it drift out and then went about my normal business fishing for LMB with plastics on my other rod. A few minutes later something picks up on my chovy rod and fish on! Several drag peeling runs and longer than a 2 minute fight?!?! Definitely not a measly LMB... After seeing color I was screaming at my friend to get the net and a few minutes later this 20'' beauty was in the boat :Big Grin:. Wind starting picking up so we headed into one of the coves on the ski arm and I resumed my routine LMB fishing. Hooked about 4 LMB on the flylined WR-watermelon senko. Had a nice fatty bass probably in the 4-5 range(definitely pic worthy), but my dumbass forgot to set my drag properly and it broke me off right under the boat :Sad:. Even after hooking that fatty, LMB fishing didn't feel the same so we headed back out and finished our day trying more stripers.. No more love as was expected cuz I really think I lucked out with the one caught earlier.

Anyways we learned a lot today: 1) Shore fishing Pyramid sucks 2)fishing in a rental boat with no anchor sucks 3) fishing for striped bass in a rental boat with no anchor and no fish finder sucks even more. So me and my friend are pretty excited and getting a portable fish finder and an anchor is on our short term list of goals for when the striped bass bite picks up. And hopefully, we're planning to chop on a cheap dingy off craigslist later down the line when we both got funds for it.

Sorry for the long report, I'm just pretty excited to get my first socal striper and look forward to getting several more :Big Grin:. Here's a couple pics.

E man
05-08-2011, 10:06 PM
Very cool report eggot. Very interesting to about the fishing history. It def sucks on those rentals but if you and ur bro save up u can get a cheap aluminum boat. You could prob get an aluminum for about the price of what it cost you to go on a rental 10 times.

Philly_D
05-09-2011, 11:07 AM
and if you're gonna get a cheap aluminum you might as well save an extra $500 and get a boat with more options. I had been looking at boats for the past 6 months on craigs. I just got a decent fiberglass 15' bass boat 90hp merc for $2000. bare aluminum boats were about the same price, some a little less. i went through thousands of ads before i found that one. key is to be patient.

fish-o-haulic
05-09-2011, 11:52 AM
hey those catfish dont mess around haha. no seriuosly I caught a ten pound catfish out of pyramid that i thot was a big striper. I was like 9 at the time so my uncle helped me reel it in and he thot it was a striper until we netted him and found it was a channel cat. Man those catfish out of the duct dont play, they do not play.

fish-o-haulic
05-09-2011, 11:55 AM
and i know what you mean about the trolling. didnt go fishing on my first boat till i was about 13. It was always bait wait for me, I didnt really get into lures till i was about 13 or so. and im still into mainly bait and wait. Your last paragraph. i know what you mean ive fished pyramid loads of times and can count on one hand how many times ive caught fish there and how many of those fish were my favorite stripers. And ive never fished there on a boat and wont go back until i have a boat.

eggot
05-09-2011, 02:05 PM
Thanks for the boat advice, but the fish finder is a must for now cuz me and my friend don't have even have $2000 to split at the moment (both broke post-undergrads trying to get into post-grad programs). Maybe by the end of the year hopefully.

And fish-o-haulic... I was referring to those stocker trout & cats lol, but seriously, those cats ain't on joke. I caught a 12lb. cat from lower Castaic years ago on a spinnerbait and that thing took me up and down the rocks for 20 minutes before landing it.

fish-o-haulic
05-09-2011, 02:30 PM
Thanks for the boat advice, but the fish finder is a must for now cuz me and my friend don't have even have $2000 to split at the moment (both broke post-undergrads trying to get into post-grad programs). Maybe by the end of the year hopefully.

And fish-o-haulic... I was referring to those stocker trout & cats lol, but seriously, those cats ain't on joke. I caught a 12lb. cat from lower Castaic years ago on a spinnerbait and that thing took me up and down the rocks for 20 minutes before landing it.

Yea those catfish, boy oh boy. Trout not even worth it, i only know one or two places where you can catch stocker trout at five and six lbs and they fight really hard and dont die on you after there hooked in the lip. And thats apollo park and kern. Stripers though are my favorite i grew up on them and always went back to em. Bait and wait was always my method even after ive caught them on lures. Your not alone someone shares your love for stripers haha.

Philly_D
05-09-2011, 03:16 PM

yeah, i bought that boat with my life savings. Im broke and unemployed! Talk about getting priorities in order...

kgselect
05-09-2011, 03:31 PM
Thanks for the report. It's definitely a crap shoot when you rent a boat; inadequate or no anchor rope, no anchor, hull leaking, crappy motor, etc. At least you got into some nice fish. WTG

KID-FISH
05-11-2011, 11:49 AM
I enjoyed the read, definitely differnet fishing here than up north, but I believe you should still try the lures you used up there for the stripers here. It's all about being in the right place at the right time and being versatile. In my opinion, hard work usually pays off. I haven't caught too many stripers, but I have had a couple of good experiences at Castaic. Keep at it and you should get rewared, there are some big fish in there.

Thanks for the report.

KID

keepemlo
05-19-2011, 07:15 AM
Real nice report as my bro and I went half on a used bass boat it's great thought I would take it out ten times a year but it's more like 5 still it's nice to know I got it ,haven't fished for stripper since fort Atkinson wisconson, off a covered bridge remember them being pretty tasty, good luck as my daughters are post grads this country seems to have lost interest in our educated youth thinking it's better to ship jobs overseas