PDA

View Full Version : 5/5/11 Corona...Low fishing pressure+a fresh plant of tailwalkers=

sapdawg11
05-06-2011, 08:16 PM
http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u15/sapdawg11/WOOHOO.jpg
http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u15/sapdawg11/BENT.jpg
http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u15/sapdawg11/BENT2.jpg

HAPPY CINCO DE MAYO!!!

LIFE. I remember being a kid...Barely, but I remember it. NOT A FLIPPIN' CARE IN THE WORLD! Fished whenever I could, partied as hard as I could, and woke up each and every day thinking, "I'm going to do this forever!". WRONG! People look at me and say, "you're still young" and to them I say, "Being 30 isn't being 20!" See, I'm already lying about my age!! I'm 31!!! Looking at my wife, my home, my dogs and a baby on the way, I feel all grown up in thinking and knowing that I have friggin' responsibilities. But becoming a grown-up isn't at all bad. I love my wife, my home, my dogs, and my baby on the way. But I also love my sanity. In the busyness of life, fishing keeps me sane. And on the cusp of a mental overload, I needed my medicine. No reports of a heat wave, no talk about warm water, no responsibilities were going to keep me off of the water yesterday. And life always amazes me in how it gives back...even to us grown ups!!

That's all the depth I can stand putting in a fishing report...For those that stuck around this long, here's the "dope". The fishing yesterday was absolutely the best I have had it this entire season and I truly don't say that lightly. You guys have seen first-hand a few of the awesome adventures I've had at Corona Lake this season, but it just doesn't get any better than yesterday afternoon. For those that haven't seen me at the Lake floating around in the float tube du jour, fishing the afternoon sessions in my kayak has become my recent gig. I've been having a blast chasing the trout at dusk and the whiskerfish in the dark. But following the stocking of Tailwalkers and with this trout season's end on the horizon, I left the heavy sticks and mackerel at home and went to the Lake with the sole intention of killing some of my old friends...Oncorhynchus mykiss.

Arrived at the lake after another long one at work to find 4, maybe 5, boats on the water and a nearly empty shoreline. From the moment my bait hit the water, it was absolutely wide open. There have been considerable hatches and molts of various creepy crawlers in the water and things got still enough yesterday afternoon that I was watching the fish POUND the larvae and the newly hatched flying versions of a variety of arthropods. If you want to see the outcome of this evening "hatch" for yourselves, just look in the water just before the sun sets and you'll see the exoskeletons and other debris floating around. Just massive footprints all evening from fish slurping up these little critters. In any event, "matching the hatch" wasn't an option as the fly rod hung on the rack at home and thus I stuck with the standards...minijigs and trout worms. Turns out they wanted to eat those too...EN MASSE! Myself and one other guy in a boat throwing various plastics were just absolutely killing them from the courtesy dock to Brad's Trout Tree until granted another glorious opportunity to watch the sun fall below the Santa Ana Mountains from on the water. It just does not get any better.

Grown-up responsibility once again beckons (this time in the form of my wife shouting, "Dinner's ready!") so I'll leave you with the details. Get out there and enjoy it. Yesterday was one heck of an opportunity to enjoy the last stocking of the season. If there was any ounce of a chance that I could get out there this weekend, I'd be there in a heartbeat. I say that like I'm not going to try to look for that chance with every passing second...if you see a beige kayak out there in the afternoon, come by and say hi!

Rods: 8' Phenix elixer, 7' Gloomis and 7' Daiwa Custom
Reels: Ci4's and a symetre 750
Line: 2 lb of whatever brands I have on there now
At the end of the line: Bait, jigs, worms...any color, any brand. I was just reaching into my bag and pinning on whatever came up. I even got a chance to get them on a casted CD5 firetiger rapala! Been a while with that one and it only took 2 casts!!

Good times are ahead...the next mission has already begun...
http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u15/sapdawg11/newmission.jpg

phishin phool
05-06-2011, 09:59 PM
Well Dawgie, You just sealed the deal for me. I was thinkin bout headin up to Jenks, or BBL this weekend but hearin they're still bitin at the ol phishin hole changed my mind!!! I'm gonna get out there tomorrow morning (sat) and try and get one more fix in before its too late. Thanks for the always great info. By the way just finished my float tube "rack" as per your article, came out awesome!! now all I need is my sonar, hopefully next month. Thanks for all the awesome posts and articles, they have been a HUGE help and source of entertainment throughout the season. I still want a shirt, I'll pm ya if they are still available. Peace. OH and Congrats on the baby!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sapdawg11
05-07-2011, 10:34 PM
Well Dawgie, You just sealed the deal for me. I was thinkin bout headin up to Jenks, or BBL this weekend but hearin they're still bitin at the ol phishin hole changed my mind!!! I'm gonna get out there tomorrow morning (sat) and try and get one more fix in before its too late. Thanks for the always great info. By the way just finished my float tube "rack" as per your article, came out awesome!! now all I need is my sonar, hopefully next month. Thanks for all the awesome posts and articles, they have been a HUGE help and source of entertainment throughout the season. I still want a shirt, I'll pm ya if they are still available. Peace. OH and Congrats on the baby!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks a bundle PhPh. As stated in my reply to your report, it would be great to meet ya one of these days soon. Let's make it a point to accomplish that! Shoot me a pm next time you're headed out!! And thanks for the congrats on the baby. I'm as excited and scared as could be...but I've already got the kid's first rod on the wrapper so hopefully he/she digs the water!!

RodSak
05-08-2011, 04:58 PM
Hi Aaron , I will be out there this Fri . I hope to see you there. I will be in the bass boat . I can see my boat in the second picture of that day. If we see you I will be sure to say hi. I really enjoy your articles on tips and techniques. Rod

phishin phool
05-08-2011, 09:33 PM
absolutlely, would dig hittin the water w/ya!!! I probably wont be hittin Corona again till the fall, uaually fish Green valley and the sierras in the summer. Peace Brother!
Thanks a bundle PhPh. As stated in my reply to your report, it would be great to meet ya one of these days soon. Let's make it a point to accomplish that! Shoot me a pm next time you're headed out!! And thanks for the congrats on the baby. I'm as excited and scared as could be...but I've already got the kid's first rod on the wrapper so hopefully he/she digs the water!!

sapdawg11
05-09-2011, 07:59 AM
Hi Aaron , I will be out there this Fri . I hope to see you there. I will be in the bass boat . I can see my boat in the second picture of that day. If we see you I will be sure to say hi. I really enjoy your articles on tips and techniques. Rod

You guys were killing it out there! What's really funny is that several times I would look over and see you guys working a fish on one side of the boat, then on the opposite side of the boat I would watch one of your other rods bend in half! Then you'd turn around and the rod would straighten up again until you would turn back around, then BENDO. It was like there was a scuba diver down there messing with you, just too funny!! Your boat is killer. If I remember right, it's a center console Skeeter, correct? If I had a toy like that, I could pretty much guarantee never getting anything done!!

I'm going to try my best to get out there this Friday. Would be great to do some more fishing with ya. Thanks for the kind words. They really are appreciated!

absolutlely, would dig hittin the water w/ya!!! I probably wont be hittin Corona again till the fall, uaually fish Green valley and the sierras in the summer. Peace Brother!

Alright bud, sounds like a plan. I have a feeling though that you may end up wanting to make some summer runs out to Corona this year. Lots of really fun things in the works for the I.N.. Plus, I'm really looking forward to water skiing behind a 100 pound sturgeon!!

RodSak
05-09-2011, 05:39 PM
Omg thanks for replying back to us. I really do appreciate the articles and videos . One of my friends was a first timer fishing for trout . He had a blast . One thing though he lost his stringer of fish. We were done at about 1100am. So we had to catch another five fish for our limits. We had to stay till about 330pm . What were the chances of catching that stringer again. We moved around about 3 times and dont know where we lost the stringer of fish. Last cast of the day we were just about to leave when I hooked something . We thought it might have been a lost fishing pole, but as it was coming up it was our lost stringer of fish. A pontoon boat with about 8 ppl hadnt caught a single thing. We gave them a bunch of fish and rigged all of there poles with the right leaders weights and hooks and gave them jars of powerbait. They hooked a 2lb trout right away . Someone was looking out for us . Then we looked out for others. Hope to see you Friday and I might be there Sat with my son. Thanks again Rod :Big Grin:

snslarison
05-10-2011, 05:31 PM
Dang man! I was gonna go out there on Friday too and I decided against it at the last minute.

phishin phool
05-10-2011, 06:46 PM
Cool Dawgie, keep me/us posted on the Navy stuff, lookin forward to meetin ya and some of the other "seamen" out there!
You guys were killing it out there! What's really funny is that several times I would look over and see you guys working a fish on one side of the boat, then on the opposite side of the boat I would watch one of your other rods bend in half! Then you'd turn around and the rod would straighten up again until you would turn back around, then BENDO. It was like there was a scuba diver down there messing with you, just too funny!! Your boat is killer. If I remember right, it's a center console Skeeter, correct? If I had a toy like that, I could pretty much guarantee never getting anything done!!

I'm going to try my best to get out there this Friday. Would be great to do some more fishing with ya. Thanks for the kind words. They really are appreciated!

Alright bud, sounds like a plan. I have a feeling though that you may end up wanting to make some summer runs out to Corona this year. Lots of really fun things in the works for the I.N.. Plus, I'm really looking forward to water skiing behind a 100 pound sturgeon!!

RodSak
05-10-2011, 08:59 PM
Hi Aaron , Yeah that was us in the Skeeter. Im on vacation these two weeks so we decided to go fishing on 05/05/11. Well it didnt look that way when I bought it though . I had to put in some work on it . Had 2 to 3 ft of water in it and it was sitting for at least 2 yrs. Had mold on inside boat cover sides, carpet. I had to scrub and polish the paint because it had been neglected . New battery and sump pump, new wiring . The motor was about only 3 years old 115hp. The boat with the motor had only been used maybe four times . I put new fuel into it and didnt start and the person told me it would cost a bundle to have it running again. But didnt take it to a shop to have it looked at. I eventually got it started maybe the bad fuel. Now it runs like a champ. Seeya Fri if you go and Im going Sat too with my son . Drop by to say Hi if ure not pulling on a fish lol.

Markito
05-11-2011, 11:28 AM
Good report I was out there on the 3rd with no luck. I saw maybe but 4 cars on shore and like 2-3 boats on the lake. Didnt catch anything that day other than some burnt skin! Sucks cause Ive been meaning to get back out for months. go figure it happen to be about 90 degrees that day, then found out they stocked on wednesday I was bummed haha. Oh well thanks for the great info as always!

sapdawg11
05-11-2011, 09:52 PM
Dang man! I was gonna go out there on Friday too and I decided against it at the last minute.

DOH!! Next time man, next time!

Hi Aaron , Yeah that was us in the Skeeter. Im on vacation these two weeks so we decided to go fishing on 05/05/11. Well it didnt look that way when I bought it though . I had to put in some work on it . Had 2 to 3 ft of water in it and it was sitting for at least 2 yrs. Had mold on inside boat cover sides, carpet. I had to scrub and polish the paint because it had been neglected . New battery and sump pump, new wiring . The motor was about only 3 years old 115hp. The boat with the motor had only been used maybe four times . I put new fuel into it and didnt start and the person told me it would cost a bundle to have it running again. But didnt take it to a shop to have it looked at. I eventually got it started maybe the bad fuel. Now it runs like a champ. Seeya Fri if you go and Im going Sat too with my son . Drop by to say Hi if ure not pulling on a fish lol.

Looks like a killer ride now!!! Nice work! I probably will be out there this weekend. Keep an eye out for an insanely large kayak...

Good report I was out there on the 3rd with no luck. I saw maybe but 4 cars on shore and like 2-3 boats on the lake. Didnt catch anything that day other than some burnt skin! Sucks cause Ive been meaning to get back out for months. go figure it happen to be about 90 degrees that day, then found out they stocked on wednesday I was bummed haha. Oh well thanks for the great info as always!

No problem bud. Get back out there and kill a few!!

Cool Dawgie, keep me/us posted on the Navy stuff, lookin forward to meetin ya and some of the other "seamen" out there!

lol, now that was funny. thanks!!

RodSak
05-11-2011, 10:20 PM
K will be looking out for you on the water. Might be alot of Kayaks out there if you see me come by to say hi. Im still looking for that double digit trout though lol. Take care seeya on the water Rod

RodSak
06-19-2011, 01:13 AM
Hi Aaron , Congrats on the baby if you already had him or her. By the way I was going to ask you how to fish for catfish. But you already answer my question by writing a article on how to catch catfish in the bushes. Sorry I wasnt able to meet you that one Sat at Corona . My buddy wanted to go to your sister lake Santa Ana River lakes. Brought my boat there and was told no private boats. I might be there on this Thur. not set in stone but will follow your advise to fish the bushes. Thanks Rod