PDA

View Full Version : Addicted to Perchin'

jdietze
05-06-2011, 02:47 PM
This last week I started going down to the beach to try a little surf castin'. I can't believe I've never done it before!! I friggin live 5 blocks from the beach, what was I doing driving all over the southland looking for trout??? (I like trout alot, though...) Anyways, I managed some decent fishing in the last couple of evenings. The first BSP I ever caught was right around 2 lbs. (eyeballed the weight), it was a MONSTER!! Caught her (looked pregnant) on a 3" sexy smelt colored Big Hammer swimmie. The rest of the week I was reduced to catching mostly dinks (using motor oil grubs), with the odd batray thrown in. I hate those things, especially since I have been stung before... With that said, any tips on rigs or other good spots would be helpful, as well. Thanks...

ghetto dad
05-06-2011, 04:03 PM
good job....

check this thread...some surf fish reports up with some rec tackle....but if you want consistent bigger fish..you need to make the drive up north.....lots of smaller stuff around here..with few bigger ones mixed in....still fun to catch tho....bigger ones are moving in....just gotta get on the right spot..

GD

jdietze
05-06-2011, 07:27 PM
Thanks GD, your reports are one of the reasons I started venturing in to the surf. That fattie got me hooked, excuse the pun, but that was pure joy as far as fishing goes. Always enjoy looking at the bounty you post up here!

murrieta angler
05-06-2011, 08:52 PM
Nice job Bro,
What beach do you live at?
That will let other Locals know that your looking for some spots.
Robert
<><

ghetto dad
05-06-2011, 09:30 PM
Thanks GD, your reports are one of the reasons I started venturing in to the surf. That fattie got me hooked, excuse the pun, but that was pure joy as far as fishing goes. Always enjoy looking at the bounty you post up here!

DAMN!!! old GD's reports have inspired TWO people??? im blushing!! lol..thanks man....

GD

iLLest
05-07-2011, 01:32 AM
The smaller Perch are alot of fun, but one thing that will surprise you is that the bigger BSP models actually bite some big fish. Try the LC FM 110 when you get a chance, or actually the smaller scale LC (I think it's the 65) they go crazy for this one. Monster sand crabs always work as well, but be careful with those pregnant BSP's, once they get stressed out they start popping out little BSP's like crazy.

smokehound
05-07-2011, 03:02 PM
The only part about perching I hate, is when leopard sharks start harassing me, no matter where I tossed it, I would watch them immediately dart to my bait..

I've lost so many leaders thanks to 20-inch long leos... It gets really annoying when you're trying to target BIG perch without gulp, because sharks love sandcrabs, too.

ghetto dad
05-07-2011, 03:15 PM
The only part about perching I hate, is when leopard sharks start harassing me, no matter where I tossed it, I would watch them immediately dart to my bait..

I've lost so many leaders thanks to 20-inch long leos... It gets really annoying when you're trying to target BIG perch without gulp, because sharks love sandcrabs, too.

thats next on my list bro...i wanna go catch some leos!!

GD

flyngby
05-12-2011, 08:52 PM
Welcome to being addicted to the surf! Good until it affects the home life!

Congrats on the perches.

Steve http://planetsmilies.net/person-smiley-1122.gif
http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z286/flyngby/CalicoHunter.jpg