PDA

View Full Version : surf fishing npb

kirkboat
05-06-2011, 11:33 AM
first post in the salt water section, but i read it daily...first trip to the surf in years, but reading gettodad's report brought me out of the closet....i don't know where the 007 spot is but fished yesterday and today....yesterday was tuff for me(3), but my son managed a dozen perch and seemed to be getting more bites than me....he had to work today so i was off to the beach alone....it was awsome, ended up with 30 perch and one short butt....used what gettodad says to use and it is solid advise...need to get some circle hooks for sure...i did have one fatality and i don't like that, i release all species of fish i catch with the greatest of care and have for years and iam sure a small % don't make it, but i know they don't make on a stringer...

smokehound
05-06-2011, 12:14 PM
first post in the salt water section, but i read it daily...first trip to the surf in years, but reading gettodad's report brought me out of the closet....i don't know where the 007 spot is but fished yesterday and today....yesterday was tuff for me(3), but my son managed a dozen perch and seemed to be getting more bites than me....he had to work today so i was off to the beach alone....it was awsome, ended up with 30 perch and one short butt....used what gettodad says to use and it is solid advise...need to get some circle hooks for sure...i did have one fatality and i don't like that, i release all species of fish i catch with the greatest of care and have for years and iam sure a small % don't make it, but i know they don't make on a stringer...With perch, you can get away with using larger hooks. I'll generally use large baits, to avoid the smaller fish, which reduces bites, but the quality is MUCH better. A number 1 circle hook with a 2-inch sandcrab will tempt the larger perch, if they're present..

Good to see you had a fun day.

Troutman65
05-06-2011, 01:05 PM
Nice of you to come out of the closet :LOL::Wink: Congrats on your perch and the short Halibut. What did the Halibut bite on ? The Gulp sandworms ? Thanks for posting :Cool:

ghetto dad
05-06-2011, 02:08 PM
first post in the salt water section, but i read it daily...first trip to the surf in years, but reading gettodad's report brought me out of the closet....i don't know where the 007 spot is but fished yesterday and today....yesterday was tuff for me(3), but my son managed a dozen perch and seemed to be getting more bites than me....he had to work today so i was off to the beach alone....it was awsome, ended up with 30 perch and one short butt....used what gettodad says to use and it is solid advise...need to get some circle hooks for sure...i did have one fatality and i don't like that, i release all species of fish i catch with the greatest of care and have for years and iam sure a small % don't make it, but i know they don't make on a stringer...

Thanks man...comments like that is why I do reports....glad i could help bro...i loved that last sentence..lol...so true..thanks for releasing them bro...great report and great job!

ghetto dad
05-06-2011, 02:10 PM
With perch, you can get away with using larger hooks. I'll generally use large baits, to avoid the smaller fish, which reduces bites, but the quality is MUCH better. A number 1 circle hook with a 2-inch sandcrab will tempt the larger perch, if they're present..

Good to see you had a fun day.

Problem is, at least down in that area....there are a LOT of sand crabs..but the ones i have seen are all VERYYYYYYYYY small...wish I could find some larger ones in that area..

Damn, thats a big circle hook....i was actually going to try to use a larger circle hook today, and only had 2's..and those are big....i wish they would make bigger diameter crack....to fish the bigger fish....and maybe even larger GULP! sandcrabs would be cool..hell..idk..lol

GD

ghetto dad
05-06-2011, 02:12 PM

to be honest, pretty much ALL of NP is pretty good....ive caught perch up and down NP from the border (HB/NP) all the way down....the area i usually fish is just much more consistent..and if you got 30...ure in the RIGHT ZONE!! lol

GD

Cangler
05-06-2011, 02:19 PM
Problem is, at least down in that area....there are a LOT of sand crabs..but the ones i have seen are all VERYYYYYYYYY small...wish I could find some larger ones in that area..

Damn, thats a big circle hook....i was actually going to try to use a larger circle hook today, and only had 2's..and those are big....i wish they would make bigger diameter crack....to fish the bigger fish....and maybe even larger GULP! sandcrabs would be cool..hell..idk..lol

GD

Gulp ! Sand crabs work fine . Get the half inch ones new ' New Penny "

Apart from crack , my fav is Gulp ! Swimming minnow " Watermelon " . Its
crazy action gives you a chance to pick up other species

If you forget your gulp at home , use half a robo worm ;)

But all in all , real sand crabs out fish anything

ghetto dad
05-06-2011, 02:21 PM
Gulp ! Sand crabs work fine . Get the half inch ones new ' New Penny "

Apart from crack , my fav is Gulp ! Swimming minnow " Watermelon " . Its
crazy action gives you a chance to pick up other species

If you forget your gulp at home , use half a robo worm ;)

But all in all , real sand crabs out fish anything

THANKS!! yeah i fished the fleas today....caught some on them...have the amber and root beer colored ones....they are just so small...wish they had ones just a LIL bit larger..lol

thanks for the info!..ima add what you said to my perch arsenal!!!

GD