PDA

View Full Version : Opener report (late)

Joshua
05-05-2011, 12:52 PM
We headed up early Friday morning. Stopped by Lone Pine, Tuttle and Independence on th way up. Lone Pine Sand trap was consistent as usual. Started to get really windy, so I thought we could find some calmer areas along the creek. The creek just hasnt been much of the past 3 years. Most of the pools are now overgrown and filled with sediment
Tried Lone Pine campground. The couple good spots werent holding fish.
Appears that it has been getting alot of pressure.
Checked out Tuttle creek and got a couple. All on the smaller size

Hit up Independence. I think we came in right after the stock truck left. This little creek has people standing all over it . You could see fish all over. However, with the very low water level in this creek. There isnt much technique involved.
Went further up the creek into the Gray Meadows campgrounds. Pulled out several fish. The fish were surprisingly big for this small water. Several pushing 2 lbs. Males that wanted to squirt. I am guessing some brood stock that they needed to get rid of

THe opener. We hit up Intake II at dark thirty. Hardly anyone there compared to years past. The normal freaks that wade out in the water in the dark werent there. Pulled one in within the first 15 minutes. Then the temps dropped (15 degree). The water was freezing. Our lines were getting caught in the frozen surface water and would drift. It looks like you are gettting bit, but it was a joke. Tried to deal with this for a couple hours. Decided that I cant beat mother nature,. We jumped in the car around 3;30 AM. Took a quick run up Bishop South Fork and got some sleep. Woke around 5 AM. It was still stupid cold and the boys didnt want to get up.
So we headed back to OC. I had to be home by noon for a softball game.
Not the best opener on record. We tried for a couple hours. This may be my last opener trip until my daughter is done with softball. It is insane pulling that turnaround for a few hours of fishing. Part of the enjoyment, is the scenary. And I am sitting in the dark fishing in sub freezing temps.

On a much happier note. I always bring back a couple coolers full of snow. My daughter threw an awesome game, team won and the girls got to play in snow in 85 degree weather. I was the hero (only because I brought snow)

Sierra_Smitty
05-05-2011, 04:43 PM
Nice report....it was CRAZY cold up there....been a rough week on the plumbing up at Parchers. BRRRRRRR.

I stuck to ice fishing - South was dead, never seen anything like it. Sabrina was WFO on jigs, kastmasters and just about anything.

Saw some guys with solid 1.5 - 2.5lb fish from North - long walk in snow though.

Sierra_Smitty
05-05-2011, 04:43 PM
PS - congrats on being the hero. If you need more snow, you are welcome to take as much as you can from my place hahaha.

mr. trout
05-05-2011, 06:45 PM
congrats! thats dedication... both as a fisherman, and as a father :P good stuff.

Beancounter
05-05-2011, 10:44 PM
Another turnaround a Amigo.
Good to hear you caught some fish, and congrats on the game for your little girl.
I hear you on the chill...Burrrrrrrr.

Joshua
05-06-2011, 11:40 AM
PS - congrats on being the hero. If you need more snow, you are welcome to take as much as you can from my place hahaha.
We had a game on Saturday and I brought snow. We had a game on Sunday and they wanted more snow. I told them 10 hours for snow just wasnt going to happen. I suppose Smitty could have met me at Personville with a truck load. I have done crazier stuff.

We were dealing with the cold at Intake II . I have Carhart insulated coveralls that is good to minus 20 degrees. And we had 2 heaters going. My youngest nephew had cold feet. Crappy shoes and crappy socks will do it. Gotta have good socks. He enjoyed putting the net in the water, then taking it out to watch it freeze stiff in under 30 seconds.
It was the line freezing in the water that I couldnt deal with. The first time, the line started to move, strike indicator went up. Fish ON!!! Nope. Then all the lines would do the same thing. After several attempts at different distances (which ended up with crossed lines), I concluded that I didnt have a solution. Maybe the other side would have been better. I hate to say this, but we needed a little wind to keep the ice off the water.

Side Note. It was cool to watch a mouse come up and run along the ice trying to collect discarded power bait. The lil bastard even ran up my nephews rod.

Joshua
05-06-2011, 11:43 AM
congrats! thats dedication... both as a fisherman, and as a father :P good stuff.
Dedication or stupidty??. It is a fine line. Sometimes I dont know which one I am......