PDA

View Full Version : local bear euthanized after breaking into cabins

FishnSierra
08-06-2007, 08:23 PM
"Recently it came to the attention of the Mammoth Times that Department of Fish and Game officials were attempting to trap a 3 yr old bear in the Lakes Basin because the bear has been breaking into cabins and stealing food. The bear, one of three cubs belonging to Cindy, a well known female who died a few years ago, was affectionately known as Bobo, and sometimes Scruffy, by those people who frequent the lakes and campgrounds in the Basin.

On Monday, July 30th, Bobo was caught at about 8a.m. and euthanized that same morning. DFG reported that she was a 175 pound female and had broken into a total of 14 cabins, nine of which were occupied at the time of her break in. "

Mammoth Times

http://www.mammothtimes.com/articles/20 ... s/bear.txt (http://www.mammothtimes.com/articles/2007/08/02/this_week/top_stories/bear.txt)

Mase
08-07-2007, 08:14 AM
I read about that in the paper when I was up in Mammoth over the weekend. It is understandable that the bear was euthanized. DFG would've been in a lot more trouble if a vacationing family was trapped or injured because of any action the DFG may not have taken. Part of the reason why people get cabins is to be safe from bears.

Maybe relocation would've been better for the bear?

mamafish
08-07-2007, 09:25 AM
Last time we were up there, they were talking about trying to relocate a bear that was a bit too comfortable around people. She was walking right up to campsites while people were eating their dinner and helping herself, but DFG was concerned because the last one they relocated quite far away, came back within 2 weeks to the same place. The ranger said that once they figure out an area with easy pickins they do just about anything to get back to it. That's probably why they had to euthanize her. Sad, but probably a necessary evil for safety reasons.

Granny Fish
08-07-2007, 10:40 AM
This is a good opportunity to remind people to always clean up all your food where you are camping... and make sure you don't store trash near your campsite... even if you are in a cabin. The wildlife learns quicky where the easy pickins are and this is the result. :cry:

kewlwhip
08-08-2007, 12:17 AM
:cry: thats too bad...

[agree's w/ grannys words and more...make sure you never smell like food, and you wash/change up your clothes prior to sleeping (leave em away from where you sleep). I grew up going camping every summer w/ the family for 2 weeks straight, to Viriginia Lakes, Twin Lakes, Lundy and some...I found out that bears will go where they can smell food, as one came into our campground one early morning at Virginia lakes../!@!]

smokehound
08-08-2007, 04:14 AM
Why kill the animal though? Jeeze.. Thats america for ya. Always willing to take the shortcut...

TroutOnly
08-08-2007, 07:46 AM
I THOUGHT THEY WERE SUPPOSED TO RELOCATE THEM BEFORE THEY KILL THEM AND THEY RELOCATE UP TO THREE TIMES UNTIL THEY KILL THEM,,,TO BAD THEY KILLED YOGI,,,,,,

Fish Dog
08-26-2007, 08:38 PM
I'm a little late on this one but my 2 cents....

Don't blame DFG, it's all the numb nuts that feed these animals. They begin to look at us an an easy source of food and this is what the end result is. Now the mean 'ol DFG is the bad guy 'cause Joe "LA Basin" thinks it's cute to feed the bears.

mamafish
08-27-2007, 01:06 PM
Fish Dog...you are SO right!

See Chris Fish
08-27-2007, 07:02 PM
She broke into 14 cabins. 9 were OCCUPIED!!!!
Hello!! It's a big, powerful predator that's figured out that humans equal
easy meals.
It's not a big stretch to have her go from our food to us, smelling like the
same yummy food.

just my two cents

See Chris Fish
08-27-2007, 07:02 PM
easy meals.
same yummy food.

just my two cents

fleaflicker
08-29-2007, 07:31 AM
easy meals.
same yummy food.

just my two cents

I agree with you 110 percent. If it happened to someone that just happened to be armed and their family was threatened... the end result would probably have been the same. Luckily no people were physically hurt.

Cabodude
08-29-2007, 03:13 PM
I weigh more than that bear. LOL!

KaliDawgFan
08-29-2007, 06:41 PM
Yogi went from pic-a-nic basket theft to B&E? What's next? Boo-Boo gets caught heading an exstacy ring?

Headhunter
09-05-2007, 10:15 PM
"and euthanized that same morning"

I love it when they "soften" the language to make it seem that they were actually doing the Bear a favor.

I don't know all the details, and maybe it was the right course of action, but the Bear wasn't "euthanized"....they KILLED it.

George Carlin does a wonderful discussion on how the language has been changed and "softened" to give it a different meaning. "Shell Shock" in World War I eventually became "Post Traumatic Stress Disorder" by the Gulf War.

I know that the Bears CAN cause great harm to humans in some circumstances, but I think that they need to exhaust ALL options before they euthan....I mean KILL/SLAUGHTER/MURDER an animal that is simply seeking food for it's survival.

Headhunter
09-05-2007, 10:17 PM
"and euthanized that same morning"

I love it when they "soften" the language to make it seem that they were actually doing the Bear a favor.

I don't know all the details, and maybe it was the right course of action, but the Bear wasn't "euthanized"....they KILLED it.

George Carlin does a wonderful discussion on how the language has been changed and "softened" to give it a different meaning. "Shell Shock" in World War I eventually became "Post Traumatic Stress Disorder" by the Gulf War.

I know that the Bears CAN cause great harm to humans in some circumstances, but I think that they need to exhaust ALL options before they euthan....I mean KILL/SLAUGHTER/MURDER an animal that is simply seeking food for it's survival.

mammothfishin
09-06-2007, 05:51 PM
I mean KILL/SLAUGHTER/MURDER an animal that is simply seeking food for it's survival.

Like fishing?

Headhunter
09-06-2007, 08:27 PM
To tell the truth, yes. Exactly.

I'm glad you picked up on that.

I won't go into it now, but it is something I have struggled with a bit, killing an animal for sport.

I love fishing, but I have not yet reconciled in my mind the fact that I am killing (or hurting when I C&R) an animal just for the purpose of having fun. It's a HUGE area of discussion, and something I had intended (at some point) to toss out here at FNN for discussion, but I haven't had the time yet to write a treatise on the subject.

And since I'm just about to do that now, I had better shut up, or I'll be up all night! :lol: