PDA

View Full Version : San Jose Del Cabo Yellowfin Report

Trout-Tuna-For.Me
05-04-2011, 03:09 PM
Am still in San Jose but went out Tuesday on a super panga to San Luis Bank for yellowfin. A 40 minute boat ride to the banks, arrived at about 7:30am and the skipper saw yellowfin boiling, as soon as we tossed the first 'dine we were hooked up! It was a short 30 minute bite but we boated 3 yellowfin going 30, 26, and 22 lbs. We were the only boat to bring back tuna that day out from the marina.
Most species of gamefish down here were tough to catch with wind/weather conditions not being very good, although the water temps on the rise all we needed was for the wind to settle down. We got lucky because the wind died down Monday night and conditions looked great before leaving the dock Tuesday morning. After returning from fishing, above the docks are fillet stations where you can have your fish filleted for a nominal fee. It's good to take a collapsable cooler with your drinks and food when out panga fishing, and later fill it back up with your filleted catch. There's also a truck selling ice at the marina to keep your fliiets cold to take back to where you're staying.
We went out on Felipe's super panga since we wanted to get to the banks early for the possible tuna bite and it payed off well. I'd reccommend chartering a super panga for the speed to get where you need to be and a boat with some sun protection. The skippers name was Arturo, he knows how to catch fish, but from other charter owners I heard he's gotten a reputataion for having a short temper with inexperienced fishermen. So if you're well experienced in tuna fishing, I'd reccommend Filepe's boat and Arturo for your skipper.
I mainly wanted to go fishing for tuna while down vacationing in SJDC for the great fresh tuna dinners while on vacation. We found a small restaurant that will cook up your catch and they did a magnificant job prepping our meal.
Don't know if we'll be able to go out fishing again since we brought back about 30 lbs of fillets to out timeshare to eat, but all in all a great first tuna fishing trip to Cabo for me.
Since we're still in SJDC I won't be able to download pics....maybe after I get home.
AWESOME TRIP ! ! EVEN GOT TO MEET AND TALK TO ERIC BRICTSON, SJDC PANGA MASTER ! ! !
TTFM