PDA

View Full Version : Minn Kota Terrova vs Power Drive ????

P.A.W.
05-04-2011, 08:51 AM
Both these units now come with I-pilot and Universal Sonar. I'm looking at 70-80 lbs thrust and 60" shaft. With that setup there is a $400 difference between the two. Anyone know what that represents as far as features or quality? Thanks

fishfinder
05-12-2011, 05:07 PM
i have the powerdrive and the pedal was supposed to be some ergonimical pedal, but it sucks. otherwise its a good motor and runs a long time on battery. although it is hard to relase and drop in the water. i bought the ipilot and put it on, but after one day on the water i took it off and sent it back. i only wanted it for the electronic anchor, and on these windy lakes in california, it turned off 3 times and the fourth time it ran out of battery. i couldnt rely on it to hold me on a spot at lake piru, back in one of the coves, and almost ran ashore once when it turned off.

P.A.W.
05-12-2011, 07:28 PM
Wow! Pedal sucks, check.... hard to deploy, check.... spotlock sucks, check..... hard to justify over a grand for such suckage!!

MonsterGuppy
05-12-2011, 07:40 PM
Wow! Pedal sucks, check.... hard to deploy, check.... spotlock sucks, check..... hard to justify over a grand for such suckage!!
C
I have the Power Drive and put in the i-pilot and ill never do without one again! being able to stay in one spot in 150` of water with the wind blowing is very nice and its not given me any trouble at all yet.

P.A.W.
05-13-2011, 05:25 AM
Thanks Monster. Your report is more like the reviews I've seen 'til now. My faith has been restored. ;)

fullerton
05-17-2011, 10:20 PM
Although I don't consider myself an expert, I have done a fair amount of research to compare the Terrova to the PD II. My conculsion is that although there is a steep price differential between the Terrova and PD, the Terrova is the way to go.

I have a friend who has a PDII and my brother who has the Terrova at my urging. I can tell you that my brother is much happier with his Terrova than my friend is with his PDII. I all has to do with the deployment mechanism. The Terrova is head and shoulders above the PDII when it comes to deploying, and especially stowing. My buddie's PDII is a hassle to deploy and stow. My recallection is that other than the mechanism, they are the roughly identical units.