PDA

View Full Version : Silver Lake Sat 4/30 and Convict Sun 5/1

a321eric
05-03-2011, 07:53 PM
On Saturday we decided to hit up Gull for the opener, didnt have to much luck and only caught 3 fish so we went to Silver lake around 10 am. Over at Silver Lake we found this little fish hole on our Kayaks and anchored up and stayed there all day. There was 4 of us and we caught somewhere between 60 - 80 fish. Mostly cookie cutters around 1.5 lbs and a few naturals around the same size. None of the fish we got were of decent size, but at least we caught alot. Only kept about 12 of the nicer fish and let the rest go.

Then on Sunday we went to convict and fished our favorite spot from shore and was able to land about 16 fish between the 4 of us. These ones were a little bigger but nothing bigger then 2.5 lbs. We only kept i think 10 from convict.

All of the fish came from power bait, jigs, drop shot, thomas buyoants and our homemade dough bait.

How was the opener for everyone else? We were expecting more crowds and larger fish.

capt.hook
05-03-2011, 08:35 PM
nice job at silver lake may i ask what is your dough bait . do u drive a small brown pick-up. did we talk in pearsonvil sunday night

a321eric
05-03-2011, 08:48 PM
Haha, no we didnt. It is a homemade of a friend of mine. We only had a little bit left. Its called "MammothMagic" some may know of it. Cody, my friend who makes it is now a missionary in Shri Lanka. Ya it was fun at Silver Lake, just wish we had a little bit more quality. I still had a great weekend out there though. The weather was nice. Lots of sunshine even though it was cold in the AM

chris
05-03-2011, 10:20 PM
nice job. gull is usually hot whats up with that spot

steve092
05-04-2011, 10:19 AM
nice job at silver lake may i ask what is your dough bait . do u drive a small brown pick-up. did we talk in pearsonvil sunday night

That was my brown truck! At the Shell, right?

phishin phool
05-04-2011, 10:20 AM
Thanks for the great report, 1.5 to 2.5 are pretty good for sierra fish!! I'll be hittin gull soon, cant wait.

Mike274
05-05-2011, 12:02 AM
I heard that Silver was one of the only lakes still on the "no stock" list. They didn't get much last year either. This used to be a great fishery for many year, and if they don't clear this lake and bump up the stocking numbers those poor people who run the lake are going to go broke. They were really struggling as of last year due to the lack of stocking, and you know how people are. The few who find the fish are happy but overall most aren't. No fish no return. Let's hope they get back on the stock train if they haven't already.

Mike

diamondbear
05-05-2011, 10:51 AM
Fishing the loop is one of my favorites , good job . Fishing out of your yaks was probably pretty cool .

gwjones00
05-06-2011, 09:52 AM
Silver Lake is on the stocking list: http://www.dfg.ca.gov/fish/Hatcheries/FishPlanting/Evaluation.asp

a321eric
05-10-2011, 02:40 PM
Haha it all fun and games til it tipped into the 40 degree water. lol

luckily i was wearing waders and barley got wet.