PDA

View Full Version : 05/01 lagoon crappie

KID-FISH
05-02-2011, 09:49 AM
Been a long time since I went fishing, so I told myself I would go no matter what conditions were like. Of course, I wake up in the morning and it's still windy...had to stick with the plan though. Left late, thinking I was just going to enjoy being on the water, fish or no fish. Got to the lagoon around 10:30 am and I realize I didn't pack all my gear! Just had a couple of containers with lures...no hooks, no weights, and no pliers :Confused:. Oh well, on to Gallions to replenish and got to fishing around 11:15 with what I had. Started by throwing out some wax worms and got my bait stolen. Switched to a redworm and let it sit for a while...rigged up a jig and worked the area for a bit. After about 10 minutes, I decide to give the redworm a jiggle and wham...fish on! Feels decent and I call for the net, bring it in and it's a nice crappie! My first one in California and I am stoked...I've tried on so many occasions and never caught one. After I put him in the fish basket, I start working the area to see if there were more, but that was it.
Wind picked up and the sun was blazing, so I figured they went deeper and that was it. Decided to pack it up around 2:45, checked the basket and the crappie was looking pretty hardy, so we pull him out and let him go to fight another day. Left the lake with a good feeling, starting the month out by catching a fish that had eluded me for a long time. Might head back again to see about catching more, earlier though and better prepared! Not a bad couple of hours of fishing, considering I got there late and forgot most of gear.

KF

eggot
05-02-2011, 04:08 PM
Nice fish.. looks like the water dropped a little bit.

KID-FISH
05-03-2011, 09:15 AM
Thanks...ya, it's my first time at the lagoon this year, but I can see the level has dropped. Water is pretty clear though and there wasn't many weeds at that spot.

vistacourt
05-03-2011, 03:35 PM
Nice. I fished that spot 2 weeks ago and got skunked.. At least I know there are fish there... or at least 1. Thanks for releasing!

Sacristan
05-03-2011, 09:28 PM
Nice job I been wanting to cach a crappie, for a while, I just need to go and try. Thanks for sharing.:

KID-FISH
05-05-2011, 09:13 AM
Nice. I fished that spot 2 weeks ago and got skunked.. At least I know there are fish there... or at least 1. Thanks for releasing!

Yeah, I've fished that spot before also, landed a mess of bluegill a long time ago. There's definitely one there for you, good luck.
FYI...I heard the bite is better in the evening.

KID-FISH
05-05-2011, 09:19 AM
Nice job I been wanting to cach a crappie, for a while, I just need to go and try. Thanks for sharing.:

Give it a shot, there are other spots besides where I was. I lucked out with that one, but that's fishing. I plan on going back early Sunday morning, the bite should be better...I hope.

keepemlo
05-07-2011, 06:50 AM
Wow man the crappie are weird those year all over social ..this might be a skip year for them water is the right temp they are just not showing up maybe I'll try perris

KID-FISH
05-11-2011, 10:26 AM
Wow man the crappie are weird those year all over social ..this might be a skip year for them water is the right temp they are just not showing up maybe I'll try perris

If you check the castiac website, they are actually reporting the evening/night fishing is better for crappie fishing at the lagoon. From what I understand, every year is different when crappie fishing...sometimes they are there and sometimes you have to really search. Perris is definitely a panfish lake, you should do well there. If not, try Isabella.

Good luck