PDA

View Full Version : Daveys Locker am 1/2 day Western Pride

seanboi
08-06-2007, 05:02 PM
Well the one day i dont bring my digital camera is one of my best half days of the year!!!Anyway today it was my friend griffy and my little brother jake. Got to the landing at approximately 5:30 and left the dock by 6:00. Today Jeff was deckhand as usual and Bob was the captain. Right when we got to the bait barge i snagged a anchovie that fell out of the bait tank and on my first drop i snag a pottie second drop i snag a nice 2lb sandy and my last drop i got another spottie. Every time i fish at the bait barge while we are scooping bait i get something. That bait barge sits right above a bed of eel grass and alot of bass sit right there. Well the plan for the day was to fish for bass all the way in Carona Del Mar. Took about an hour to get there and on the first drop mr friend brings up a nice solid 5 lb sand bass. His biggest of the year so far. I then started fishing plastics which consisted of Berkeley Gulp shrimp and hammered the calicos. All fish were decent sized today nothing really small. My biggest calico today was a 4lb that i got on a fly lined sardine.. We fished the same spot the whole time and had a consistent bite on calico bass sandies and a couple bigger bonito here and there. There were also 4 halibut hooked and only one caught which was the smallest one a 5lber. One kid had a easy 20 lber to the boat and he tried to bounce it and it snapped off. Bob the captain was even bewildered by what he tried to do. All the kid had to do was yell for a gaff and he would of had a nice halibut. He must have felt shity as it swam slowly towrds the bottom. Anyway right when we had to leave we got into a nice bonito bite and i got one nice 5lber. Beat the hell out of my 6lb set up. Jackpot today went to about a 7 lb sand bass. There were alot of 5 and 6 lbers caught today really great quality fish. I dont have the exact boat count but our groups count was
ME- 20 Calico bass from 1 to 4lbs
2 Sand bass
2 Spotted bay bass
1 Bonito 5lbs
1 Rock fish

Griffy- 15 Calicos bass
5 Sand Bass from 1 to 5lbs
2 Bonito both 5lbers

Jake- 5 Calico bass
5 Sand bass

ghetto dad
08-06-2007, 05:15 PM
dude, you had me at "calico"...great report man......

Baseballer44
08-06-2007, 06:40 PM
Nice report. Thats a hell of a long way to go; good thing it paid off.

CalamARI
08-06-2007, 09:12 PM
He had me at "pottie". :shock:
Good report, but it's all BS without pics. :twisted:
No really, good job and thanks for the write up.

one_leg
08-06-2007, 09:22 PM
A picture is worth ten thousand words.

Congrats on the catches.

One_Leg

seanboi
08-06-2007, 11:19 PM
i got the count for our trip it was 49 Sand Bass - 29 Calico Bass
3 Bonito - 9 Rockfish - 1 Sculpin. They really screwed up the count. There were at least 12 bonito caught and 1 halibut was for sure caught because i know the person who caught and i got a fillet of it for dinner. :D

bigfishlittlefish
08-07-2007, 09:13 AM
As u mentioned on another thread the Western Pride is a great boat. Not only was the fishing great, but the deckhands were very helpful. Despite the number of patrons and the fishes caught, they were right there to help unhook a fish or untangle lines.

WTG on ur catch!

bflf