PDA

View Full Version : Trolling for Stripers

twcthfsh
04-29-2011, 03:38 PM
Use to catch a lot of hold over trout before the lake was closed do to low level and before the stripers grew up. Now it appears the nice hold over trout are no where to be found. Have the stripers basically taken over this lake??

Any tips on best technique for trolling for stripers??

Thanks

one time
04-29-2011, 06:32 PM
I don't know sir, but when you catch them kill it.

christainmetalhead909
04-29-2011, 09:40 PM
use umbrella rigs with some swim baits that are around the same color and size to the shad they have in there it worked great when i was trolling with them at silverwood back when i had my boat, use lead core if your not getting anything up top

NFCD I
04-30-2011, 07:26 AM
use umbrella rigs with some swim baits that are around the same color and size to the shad they have in there it worked great when i was trolling with them at silverwood back when i had my boat, use lead core if your not getting anything up top

This method will sure put fish in the boat. A rod and reel aren't necessary. You can drag an umbrella rig around with a rope attached to the back of your boat. Just pull it in every now and then to see how many are on. You may think you've snagged the bottom at times, but it's probably multiple fish that have hit the umbrella rig. Just pull in the dead weight and do it again until you have your legal limit. I hope this helps.

AbsolutePig
04-30-2011, 08:46 AM
This method will sure put fish in the boat. A rod and reel aren't necessary. You can drag an umbrella rig around with a rope attached to the back of your boat. Just pull it in every now and then to see how many are on. You may think you've snagged the bottom at times, but it's probably multiple fish that have hit the umbrella rig. Just pull in the dead weight and do it again until you have your legal limit. I hope this helps.

Gee...that sounds like fun

TroutOnly
05-01-2011, 03:38 AM
B/s hookup a 15lber and tell me about it, most people who talk smack about it usally dont know much about it,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

NFCD I
05-01-2011, 07:19 AM
B/s hookup a 15lber and tell me about it, most people who talk smack about it usally dont know much about it,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

You're right TO, must people don't know much about it, but I do. I see people dragging rigs and pulling up more dinks than 15lbers. I know you know what you're doing out there and I'm pretty sure it's not your favorite way to fish. When you have customers in the boat, you need to put fish in it as well. I just don't think it should be legal to put out more than two baits or attractents on a single line.
I'm also against gill netting.

KID CREOLE
05-01-2011, 09:04 AM
You're right TO, must people don't know much about it, but I do. I see people dragging rigs and pulling up more dinks than 15lbers. I know you know what you're doing out there and I'm pretty sure it's not your favorite way to fish. When you have customers in the boat, you need to put fish in it as well. I just don't think it should be legal to put out more than two baits or attractents on a single line.
I'm also against gill netting.

Wow, now we're comparing trolling for stripers to gilnetting.

The fact is most lakes in the southwest have been ruined by striped bass and whatever legal method a fisherman chooses to catch them shouldn't be criticized. The odd's are that the stripers will ruin DVL just like they have ruined Powell, Mead, Havasu, Pyramid and Castaic

T/O not only has proven to be very successful fishing stripers but has been very informative, often giving out advice.

Gobigal
05-01-2011, 01:32 PM
Of all the guides and fisherman who render their opinions and information in this forum "TO" knows the damage stripers have caused to our SoCal lakes over the years. They have decimated a potential "trophy trout" fishery here at DVL, eliminated the possibility of catching 10lb+ largemouth bass catches at Castaic, Silverwood, Skinner and now Perris. In a few years (hope I'm wrong), DVL will end up like these lakes unless the limit on striped bass is removed and "striper derby's" become more available.

I would think local Bass Clubs would be more reactive to the possibility that DVL ends up like Castaic. I'm suprised there's no concern to this being a lake where stripers will be 95% of the catches and if a trophy largemouth is caught, you'll be lucky if it's 5 lbs (see Castaic upper lake reports, Silverwood, Perris, Pyramid, et al).

I don't deny the fact that stripers are a great game fish, good eating and a blast to catch, but something should be done now that allows other fish species to propagate and limit the striper population to some extent.

Maybe "kwin" our DVL Biologist can help us in this matter, or provide insight to this scourge.

Gobigal.

viperman100
05-01-2011, 02:35 PM
I dont think Perris is that point yet, but yes stripers will eat till there is nothing left to eat and need to be controlled any way possible, except the dynamite that someone mentioned earlier.

AnglerBob
05-01-2011, 03:55 PM
Does anybody think it possible that the trophy trout fishery may have been ruined not so much by stripers as by a small group of anglers and pro guides who took limit after limit of multiple-pound fish out of there every day? They weren't breaking the law - but I sure wish legislation had been enacted to preserve these trophy trout. (Confession: I ate one myself. It was yummy.)

Matt_Magnone
05-01-2011, 04:26 PM
is that rope thing legal? if it is, i encourage EVERYONE to drag one behind their boat! :LOL::LOL::LOL:

big or small; kill 'em all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Greg Springman
05-01-2011, 06:36 PM
I would have to agree on this one and can add a professional perspective to this post……
Stripers have dominated most lakes in Riverside and San Bernardino Counties. This argument is a double edge sword! Southern California is a “highly populated desert” where ground water and mountain run off from snow melt is not enough to meet, or sustain our communities and agriculture needs. On one side of the coin, Metropolitan Water District (other water agencies included), with State and Federal funding, has created these great lakes to hold surplus water used to sustain life in “all” communities. A secondary usage for these lakes is for recreation purposes, which includes fishing. The California Aqueduct system fills these lakes which creates a way for these fish to migrate, and then begin to consume anything smaller being on top of the food chain. Basic survival of the fittest! On the other side, the imported water has allowed striper to destroy our fisheries, and now, sometime in the future, the quagga mussel will be in every lake and begin clogging the pumping infrastructure which conveys this precious resource, water. This will cause our water rates to increase in the future because there will be a significant increase in maintenance cost to ensure water reaches these communities. Someone will have to pay and it always falls on the end user, the consumer. It is unfortunate that there is a need to imported water from areas where striper have already become the dominate species. I’m not sure that there is a solution for this one, but there may be a way to control the population of striper while protecting other fishery species.
I have worked in the water/wastewater industry for over 25 years, and the best way to go about this is to get the word out to Bass Clubs, small clubs all the way up to the larger clubs that fish these lakes. Representatives from these Bass Clubs should attend Metropolitan Water District’s board meeting and have your concerns heard in unity. Write letters to the State Water Board in Sacramento, and include Fish and Game. The Bass Clubs should write and/or meet with local state representatives. These agencies must be addressed at the same time, making sure all bass clubs are on the same page, standing together. Just remember, these lakes were created first for consumer consumption for the communities, and recreation was just a secondary bonus to create a source of revenue. However, there is an environmental aspect to this problem and if Bass Clubs unite together as professionals, which we are, they will consider looking at a way to “control” the over population of striper. We just need to make sure our voice is heard in unity, continuously, and with volume, and the Bass Clubs is a great vehicle to be heard. Just remember, the squeaky wheel, gets the grease………..

TroutOnly
05-01-2011, 07:50 PM
bob the whole time i fished for trout ialways targeted holdover fish,and you couldnt even begin too count how many i put back because i knew they could not breed in dvl, there was a guide who sat at the marina all the time killing the stocked fish as fast as he could.now there mostly all gone ,but the stripers thrive in the res ,especially dvl so theres no better challenge to try to catch some big stripeys.go to san ant one time and this is what you catch all day long,most boats trolling cant get them to the boat,its not like sitting still the boat is moving and so is the stripeys,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
http://i403.photobucket.com/albums/pp113/troutonly/DSCN0568JJ---4444444444444444.jpg
two of these on one rig,sometimes with a broken third leader,,,,,,,,,
http://i403.photobucket.com/albums/pp113/troutonly/DSCN0465JJJJJJJJJJJJJJJ------------.jpg
all day this action,,,,,,,,,http://i403.photobucket.com/albums/pp113/troutonly/DSCN0459SSSSS---2222222222.jpg

Hitts0n
05-01-2011, 08:11 PM
Hhahahahahaha I hope the Stripers take over all lakes!! Kill all lmb!!
Stripers 0wn!! And yeah,those San Antonio pigs 0wn!
We dont see many of those big units anymore...I guess imma have to take a trip up north!

Geraldlim
05-01-2011, 09:49 PM
I love the stripers! Love to eat them little dinks, love to fight them bigger ones. Still waiting for my 15 pounder and 20 pounder.

I know I should kill all the extras (over the limit of 10) rather than release them for the good of the lake, but still struggling with that in my own mind. If we release the big units though there will be more big units to catch, no?

I asked Kwin at the Last Chance seminar about why not remove the catch limit, and he said something about 10 is more than anyone can eat, which is true, but does not address the issue of striper population control.

laserbrn
05-02-2011, 08:20 AM
The more stripers the better.

fishinone
05-02-2011, 10:36 AM
Why don't you just throw dynamite in the water? Umbrella rigs take away the thrill of reeling in a nice striper.

I'm going to have to dissagree with you on this one.

An umbrella rig doesn't slow a big striper down so you can notice it. For that matter three medium striper is a blast on the rigs too.

As for throwing dynamite, lots of people pull rigs all day for nothing. You need to know what your doing and be skillful at handling your boat to be consistent.

JigStop
05-02-2011, 12:59 PM
Trolling, in general, is not how true "sport fishermen" prefer to fish. It is highly repetitive and as a rule, requires less skill than casting. However, the same argument can be made for using live bait. I have watched those suckers down there at Canyon Lake catch 30-40 fish per day (inc.10lb + fish) slinging a live shad about 10ft into one of the tubes. So I am inclined to think that Trout Only has a good skill set and is doing a service by removing these alpha predators form the local waters.

TroutOnly
05-02-2011, 03:35 PM
thanks jigstop,the bass boys love me cause i kill as many of the stripers as i can,staying within the limit laws,they know what they did to pyramid, castaic and silverwood , they wreck every lake they get into ,cause they are a saltwater fish terrorizing the fresh water fish,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Big B
05-02-2011, 03:51 PM
TO,
I plan on using umbrella rigs the next time I fish DVL one up top and one on the Downrigger but my question is Most umbrella rigs I have seen have more hooks than legal to use in California. from the DFG regulations.

Fishing Methods and Gear Restrictions (CCR, T14, Chapter 2, Article 1)
2.00. Fishing Methods -- General.

* (a) Except as otherwise authorized, all fish may be taken only by angling with one closely attended rod and line or one hand line with not more than three hooks nor more than three artificial lures (each lure may have three hooks attached) attached thereto.

So this is saying most baits on the rig with no hooks and three with. just curious?

ghost2uu
05-02-2011, 05:02 PM
I plan on going to meetings and will try to have the limit of largemouth raised to 10 fish per person. Get these green garbage fish out of the lakes. I like how people say stripers ruined the lake. I think they make them better. I have never seen a rainbow trout smash a Lunker Punker. Catching rainbows on 10 colors of leadcore must be so much more fun than throwing topwater plugs for vicious explosions.

gletemfeelsteelgary
05-02-2011, 05:18 PM
OHH U ALL have TO BE KIDDING....

The post was asking about trolling..

I'm not even gonna start responding to the groves of ridiculous info flowing here....

Get with the program...this is wasting time and I'm not biting..

Go catch sum fish !...then go catch more...

see how your typing will change to a report rather than opinionated theories and malicious comments with alterior motives..

Go catch some fish....striper greenback or otherwise...

The worlds always a better place after that happens : )

Greg Springman
05-02-2011, 07:29 PM
I agree that Stripers are a blast to catch, but so are other types of species. There was a reason that Stripers were not chosen to be stocked in the small reservoir in advance, prior to Metropolitan Water District beginning construction of Diamond Valley Lake. Fish and Game was involved in this process, and I’m sure this was one of their considerations. How they are caught do not concern me, but just increase the total amount of stripers one person can catch, or as some say, “harvest” per day, and you could potentially control the average size of the species, which would lower the average size of striper in the lake. This would allow other species a chance to reach a larger average size per fish as well. You know, it is sad that Small Mouth bass are not growing in numbers at the same rate as other fish in DVL. What a great fish brought into Southern California for us to enjoy catching, then releasing. There are not as many in Lake Perris anymore either. All of these fish could survive in DVL, creating a better fishery for everyone as long as one species doesn't become dominate over others.

Geraldlim
05-02-2011, 08:42 PM
but just increase the total amount of stripers one person can catch, or as some say, “harvest” per day, and you could potentially control the average size of the species, which would lower the average size of striper in the lake.

Just the opposite is true re: averge size of stripers. Quinn the DFG biologist said at the seminar that we should pull as many striper out as possible so the average striper size would go up. Stripers also affect lake gamefish populations by eating up the available forage fish for the gamefish besides eating the gamefish themselves. They can even eat themselves out of house and home and end up with a lake full of small skinny starving stripers.

Lower the number of stripers in the lake > fewer but bigger stripers and more/bigger other gamefish

KID CREOLE
05-03-2011, 09:29 AM
Just the opposite is true re: averge size of stripers. Quinn the DFG biologist said at the seminar that we should pull as many striper out as possible so the average striper size would go up. Stripers also affect lake gamefish populations by eating up the available forage fish for the gamefish besides eating the gamefish themselves. They can even eat themselves out of house and home and end up with a lake full of small skinny starving stripers.

Lower the number of stripers in the lake > fewer but bigger stripers and more/bigger other gamefish

Good points Gerald!

There are a lot of people making comments about stripers who have no idea what the are talking about!

Many people don't know that the stripers planted in Powell and Mead were believed to not have the correct conditions to reproduce.....WRONG! There is a ton of info on land locked stripers and what they have done to lakes!

One year at Powell me and a buddy were catching stripers at the rate of 50 to 150 a day 5 to 12 lbs. Mid day we would fillet fish and pass them out to any car that stopped by!

Two Utah Conservation officers(Game Wardens) pulled up to have a little talk! They asked what was going on, I explained to them we were catching stropers and giving them away and that I was leaving a patch of skin on for identification.

The Wardens thanked us and before leaving told us to KILL as many as we can before we left! this happened 15 years ago.

The smartest thing they could do to protect the LMBs, trout and shad at DVL would be to allow unlimited take on stripers because from what I see there isn't that many people killing that many stripers from DVL

laserbrn
05-03-2011, 12:19 PM
I'm fairly new to fishing so I pretty much started out straight away on stripers. In all honesty they seemed like the most interesting game fish out there. It's like saltwater fishing in freshwater. I get that they are prolific and it causes problems, but why not put something in the lake's that can surive to feed more fish? Shad seems to be the only freakin' bait fish in their. Why not something hearty like Tilapia?

Geraldlim
05-03-2011, 01:59 PM
I'm fairly new to fishing so I pretty much started out straight away on stripers. In all honesty they seemed like the most interesting game fish out there. It's like saltwater fishing in freshwater. I get that they are prolific and it causes problems, but why not put something in the lake's that can surive to feed more fish? Shad seems to be the only freakin' bait fish in their. Why not something hearty like Tilapia?
See this post re threadfin shad:
http://fishingnetwork.net/forum4/showthread.php?56204-Understanding-Seasonal-bait-migration-patterns&p=541443#post541443
While I completely agree with your sentiments about stripers being more fun to catch, it is generally a bad idea to introduce non-native species to other environments. Threadfin shad seem to be one of the few human introductions that do not seem to have had adverse effects on the environment to my very limited understanding. They were introduced to supplement the native forage base as they are plankton feeders that were thought would not compete with native species and gamefish fry, and they stay edible size to gamefish all their lives.

Tilapia are prolific mouth-brooding omnivores; they grow too big to be eaten by gamefish as adults; they eat the fry of other fish as well as being able to filter plankton; probably a real bad idea to introduce them. Other human introductions that have not turned out well are the case in point: stripers, as well as carp, cane toads, various plants etc.

tacklejunkie
05-03-2011, 04:43 PM
Just the opposite is true re: averge size of stripers. Quinn the DFG biologist said at the seminar that we should pull as many striper out as possible so the average striper size would go up.
This is truth.
Look at Silverwood and how many 1lb schoolies in there. Yes there is nice fish but the average is like 1-2lbs unless you troll or throw swimbaits.

Skyler and I took a couple thousand home one season and didn't make a dent in the population or increase the striper size in there at all.

People would laugh at us taking limits of 1-2lb schoolies but that lake honestly needs some mass thinning out. Less striper, more forage, bigger striper.

Hamachi_Kama
05-04-2011, 02:20 PM
Interesting thread, albiet off original subject.

Up here in norcal, the argument is almost a complete contrast to the socal argument. The water lobby and powers that be want to see size and take restrictions removed in an effort to eradicate. This is rooted in deep politcal underpinnings, so I won't elaborate, but there is alot of us striper guys up here who release everything we catch, including yours truly....okay once in a very blue moon I'll take one home for the grill, but CPR is how I roll.

Stripers have co-exisited with other species in our Delta system for over 100 years. The delta still kicks out DD green fish regularly, but then again, it's a different ecosystem and our striper come and go, resident fish withstanding. However, they've come under attack and are being scapegoated by the likes of Stuart Resnick and his ilk over water rights issues.

I'm just sayin - Same State and fish, different opinions and challenges......interesting.

AnglerBob
05-05-2011, 12:14 PM
[QUOTE=TroutOnly;542400]bob the whole time i fished for trout ialways targeted holdover fish,and you couldnt even begin too count how many i put back because i knew they could not breed in dvl, there was a guide who sat at the marina all the time killing the stocked fish as fast as he could.now there mostly all gone ,but the stripers thrive in the res ,especially dvl so theres no better challenge to try to catch some big stripeys.go to san ant one time and this is what you catch all day long,most boats trolling cant get them to the boat,its not like sitting still the boat is moving and so is the stripeys,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
http://i403.photobucket.com/albums/pp113/troutonly/DSCN0568JJ---4444444444444444.jpg

Very cool you tried to get clients to release trophy trout - kudos on TO! But what's with this photo, did you take ZZ Top striper fishing ha ha

Skyler
05-07-2011, 09:08 PM
This is truth.
Look at Silverwood and how many 1lb schoolies in there. Yes there is nice fish but the average is like 1-2lbs unless you troll or throw swimbaits.

Skyler and I took a couple thousand home one season and didn't make a dent in the population or increase the striper size in there at all.

People would laugh at us taking limits of 1-2lb schoolies but that lake honestly needs some mass thinning out. Less striper, more forage, bigger striper.

Ah, yes, the year of the fish taco...
Hopefully we can thin the herd at DVL tomorrow. I got some 'chovies, some crawlers, a load of Lucky Crafts, plus all those new swimbaits. Let the massacre begin...

TroutOnly
05-08-2011, 10:05 AM
No angler bob thats not zz-top thats jackpot johnnie,hes one of the best calico bass fisherman alive,one of his very good friends is bob taft the captain of the topgun boats,johns dad and bob's dad were old school tuna slayers from way back,and both familys are boat builders,john is one of the best fisherman ive ever met,,,,,,,,,,and he killed the **** out of the stripers,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Sublime-Steve
05-08-2011, 10:29 AM
how come perris doesn't have huge stripers?

tacklejunkie
05-08-2011, 11:04 AM
It does.
Get out a trout bait.

Sublime-Steve
05-08-2011, 01:54 PM
i never heard about anyone catchin any.. if i were to catch 1 where would be my best bet?

Geraldlim
05-08-2011, 05:19 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z23CHvc3SeQ
Big striper from Perris on topwater bait.

Sublime-Steve
05-09-2011, 05:08 AM
yea gerald I saw that and ever since then ive been on a mission , I wonder how long ago that was?

ghost2uu
05-09-2011, 08:51 AM
Tackle junkie, truth is Silverwood has plenty of fish bigger than two pounds. Here are a couple from one trip last week. 30391

Trolling for trout all summer is lame. Boo Hoo the trout at DVL are gone. They have been replaced by an apex predator. The reason everyone was crying to keep the stripers at DVL out in the beginning is because all the ranger boat driving guys don't want any competion for the green carp.

trail blazer
05-09-2011, 05:55 PM
Thats right,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and besides,,,,,,,,,,,,APEX predators are BASAZZZZZ

tacklejunkie
05-09-2011, 08:32 PM
Tackle junkie, truth is Silverwood has plenty of fish bigger than two pounds. Here are a couple from one trip last week. .
Trust me, I know this. =)

eddiefishtaco
05-10-2011, 01:22 AM
Stopping the striped bass will be hard
Cause everytime they fill up the lake
With aqueduct water they load the lake with stripers
All sizes come in into the lake, that's how they reproduce,
In the current of the aqueduct..not in the lake.
But like they say, supplying water to the community is job#1

yolo
05-10-2011, 04:09 AM

Taco, not again with this silliness. They DO reproduce in DVL too. All sizes do not come into the lake. They can't get past the grates that have a 2" opening at the pumping and power plants. If they did, they would get chopped up by the impeller blades that push the water at said plants? Some fertilized eggs and fry will pass. They will spawn in DVL. Biologist for DFG that posts here or used to post here at times verified it. Please stop the nonsense taco.

eddiefishtaco
05-10-2011, 06:13 AM
Taco, not again with this silliness. They DO reproduce in DVL too. All sizes do not come into the lake. They can't get past the grates that have a 2" opening at the pumping and power plants. If they did, they would get chopped up by the impeller blades that push the water at said plants? Some fertilized eggs and fry will pass. They will spawn in DVL. Biologist for DFG that posts here or used to post here at times verified it. Please stop the nonsense taco.
That's very silly Yolo
2 real biologist confirmed they just don't reproduce without current

TroutOnly
05-10-2011, 06:56 AM
they are spawning right now at dvl,they have been in alot of other lakes, mother nature shows them the way,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,T/O,,,,,,,,,,,,

eddiefishtaco
05-10-2011, 07:25 AM
If they spwan at our lakes Silverwood would be loaded with stripers,
The reason why they leave the Ocean is to search for some current
so the eggs can float on the current for at least 48 hours, or something like that.

They will try to spawn at our lakes, no doubt I have seen them at DVL getting busy,
I also saw how they almost empty the lake and then ..
they filled the lake with water from the aqueducts,
hundreths maybe thousands of stripers came into the lake that did not have too many
small or medium size stripers.. only had like 8 to 20 pounds size, and some bigger
my buddy Lee Gonzales fishes almost every single day for stripers at DVL
and he used to tell me before 2007 that DVL had only Big stripers, but
that changed after they almost empty the lake, and they fill it up to current levels
they removed the filters due to the speed and power of the water coming in

who cares- this is about trolling for stripers

The skill is not in casting a lure, but finding the fish
sometimes the fish will be 50 ft deep and on the move,
and the baitcaster becomes useless
so trolling is a skill one must have as fisherman
when, where, why, how fast, how deep

-cheers

tacklejunkie
05-10-2011, 08:03 AM
I was scared as hell dragging a swimbait behind my Kayak at DVL, that's for sure! :LOL:

I don't think I will be doing that anymore after some of the fish I have hooked in there! That's asking for a flip.

HuskerRod
05-11-2011, 12:14 PM
Im not sure what kind of grate (if any grate of all) they have between the aquaduct water and DVL which would only allow fish of a certain size in, but I can tell you this much. I was at DVL in a boat opening day some 10-years ago and saw a carp swim by of about 15-pounds. Im not sure where that sucker came from, but my first guess would be the aquaduct. I imagine if he found a way through a whole bunch of otehr stuff did as well.

yolo
05-11-2011, 01:42 PM
DVL was a pond before with fish. The grates are at every power plant and pumping plant to keep debris out of the pumps on the California Aqueduct system. It keeps fish over a year old out too because they can't fit through the grate openings. I am not familiar with the Colorado River aqueduct and how many pumping and power plants there are. That water was used to fill the lake initially.

The water was shut down coming in and the lake was getting lower and lower. In that time, when no water was moving in to DVL, is when small stripers were found by the DFG biologist at DVL who also used to post here. Those small stripers were offspring of the stripers in the lake. Once again there was no water coming into the lake so no aqueduct eggs, fry or even fish could come in, but there were baby stripers. They spawned in the lake.

trail blazer
05-11-2011, 04:10 PM
old school biol,gsts say they only spawn in moving water,,,BUT,,,,,,,RECENT STUDIES BY LOCALLY BASED BIOL,GSTS HAVE PROVEN OTHERWISE,,,,,There are alternatives!

C,MON EFTACO,,,,,,,Dont be so hard headed,,lol

gletemfeelsteelgary
05-11-2011, 04:27 PM
old school biol,gsts say they only spawn in moving water,,,BUT,,,,,,,RECENT STUDIES BY LOCALLY BASED BIOL,GSTS HAVE PROVEN OTHERWISE,,,,,There are alternatives!

C,MON EFTACO,,,,,,,Dont be so hard headed,,lolStripey’s survivals instincs are second to none…they will also spawn over really deep water where there eggs still remain adrift….even w/o current…

I’m sure there are many other acceptions as well…there are land locked stripers in select lakes where no tributaries or inlets are present..

That’s just cuz stripeys are bad arse ! mo’ fo’s !

cutbait
05-11-2011, 04:28 PM
If all these lakes with stripers in it, actually got all there striper population from the aqueduct and not from spawn?

Then there are a hail lot more stripers in the aqueduct than I previously thought!

How can anyone skunk in the aqueduct then?

{said in sarcasm}

gletemfeelsteelgary
05-11-2011, 04:29 PM
U might do a little more research, I'm no bioligist but the striper populations in most lakes are not due to actual fish entering the lake through inlets....it's most likely already fertilized eggs in the beginning therefore starting it's own eco system and reproducing on it's own if the lakes conditions allow...

Certainly not due to filling up the lake periodically

cutbait
05-11-2011, 04:30 PM
Stripey’s survivals instincs are second to none…they will also spawn over really deep water !

I too have been known to spawn over deep water, does that give me a good survival instinct?

cutbait
05-11-2011, 04:33 PM
U might do a little more research, I'm no bioligist but the striper populations in most lakes are not due to actual fish entering the lake through inlets....it's most likely already fertilized eggs in the beginning therefore starting it's own eco system and reproducing on it's own if the lakes conditions allow...

Certainly not due to filling up the lake periodically

In all seriousness,,

In my experience. I have personally witnessed small fish survive going through pump impellers. Stripers, shad, carp, catfish, crappie, and sunfish

gletemfeelsteelgary
05-11-2011, 04:45 PM
In all seriousness,,

In my experience. I have personally witnessed small fish survive going through pump impellers. Stripers, shad, carp, catfish, crappie, and sunfish
Makes sense but I think we're really looking to focus on any sizable fish and there ability to enter a lake in any regularity...

We both know fish can make it through many different grating systems and some zones the grates are larger than others, it's the urbines and impellers that those sizable feesh have small chance of navigating

I'll leave it there....we all know that U drag ur dinners from those pump impellers
(just in case any of u don't know....i'm messin w 'em !)

cutbait
05-11-2011, 04:49 PM
Makes sense but I think we're really looking to focus on any sizable fish and there ability to enter a lake in any regularity...

We both know fish can make it through many different grating systems and some zones the grates are larger than others, it's the urbines and impellers that those sizable feesh have small chance of navigating

I'll leave it there....we all know that U drag ur dinners from those pump impellers
(just in case any of u don't know....i'm messin w 'em !)

No we weren't.

I have witnessed 2 lb fish make it through the pumps at work..

gletemfeelsteelgary
05-11-2011, 04:53 PM
No we weren't.

I have witnessed 2 lb fish make it through the pumps at work..
But theres no stripers in the duct....

And we're not talkin about CARP !

I think I saw U slayin them golden bass last night !

How U cookin those golden scaled beauties ?

P.S.
Since this was a trolling post...I thought I'd talk about carp...

: )

cutbait
05-11-2011, 06:23 PM
You ofcourse are the last one to be critical of anything deemed "pumphouse"

You starred in the made for TV Love story/DRAMA

http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u290/kluna2/pumphouserules.jpg

gletemfeelsteelgary
05-12-2011, 09:16 AM
you ofcourse are the last one to be critical of anything deemed "pumphouse"

you starred in the made for tv love story/drama

http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u290/kluna2/pumphouserules.jpg

lmao !