PDA

View Full Version : Spectacular Day Out!!! 08-05

Halibut Dude
08-06-2007, 02:40 PM
Well I decided to go to san onofre to hit up the barracudas and maybe yellow tails.. The ride over there was real smooth.I saw a couple of paddies that we saw yellowtails jumping but no takers.

We got to the fishing spot and freelance, reel fun ,and other moo's moo's were there. Seen them catching couple of logs but not alot. We Slaughtered the barracudas on flyiner no steel wire just a plain hook and lost a couple but if we but the wire we got less bites. So its better without it. While my brother and uncle were fishing the logs I got tired and wanted to catch a halibut so i tried my big hammer swim bait and caugth one halibut it was small but eh and also caught bass calico sculpin .We saw alot of Big yellows boiling but they would not bite Anyone have any tips to make them bite?

SPASH!!!!!!!!! on the way back we saw a incredible Bait ball it was HUGE! we stopped and to see what was all the commotion about and the bait ball was bigger than our boat and we have a 26 foot trophy. They were so tight and we immediately started our bait well and caught enough to fill it up in 2 scoops. They were good sized anchovies so we tossed some jigs and BONITAS!!!!!!!! EVERYWHERE jumping diving swimming feeding we kept our limits and threw the rest back you could see the bones take your lure just drop it and BANG!!! and the bones would devour the bait ball it was really fun to see this. Like 50ft all around us were More dolphins. We were heading home and stopped right outside the breakwall to use the bait we caught none of them died unlike the ones we buy at the bait barge wonder why? and caught some sand bass and 2 halibuts and lots of tomcod crokers etc

wonderful day I had never seen bait balls that big it was a fun day

Dang i forgot the camera sorry.....

Greg Madrigal
08-06-2007, 02:51 PM
BUMMER On th camera, WTG on the fishing!!!!! Awesome report, a bit hard to read :wink: , but awesome report !

GM

Halibut Dude
08-06-2007, 03:17 PM
Ill try to fix it up a bit

pyronut
08-06-2007, 03:20 PM
Thats awesome you guys had a great day fishing. I have seen those bait balls like that to and they are really cool to see and fish. I will be headed down that way this weekend forsome of that fun. Thanks for the great report.

Halibut Dude
08-06-2007, 03:25 PM
Thats awesome you guys had a great day fishing. I have seen those bait balls like that to and they are really cool to see and fish. I will be headed down that way this weekend forsome of that fun. Thanks for the great report.

yea there really fun to fish and very exciting best part we had it all by our selfs it was only like 8 miles out from shore and alot of birds just look for the birds.

Seatech
08-07-2007, 09:18 AM
Nice, one trick that works well for cudas and usually keeps you from getting bit off is using 30 or 40lb fluorocarbon leader.

Start with a leader about 4 feet long and just trim it down as it gets chewed up. I have never had them chew thru either size and it doesn't make them line shy like wire does.

Ed

Halibut Dude
08-07-2007, 02:55 PM
Nice, one trick that works well for cudas and usually keeps you from getting bit off is using 30 or 40lb fluorocarbon leader.

Start with a leader about 4 feet long and just trim it down as it gets chewed up. I have never had them chew thru either size and it doesn't make them line shy like wire does.

Ed

ill give that a try