PDA

View Full Version : Seal Beach - Barely beat the skunk

Oban
04-28-2011, 04:47 PM
After my first trip out to the surf, I decided to jump in with both feet.

Got a lip gripper after seeing lovefofish's thumb in my last report! Also decided no more cheap combo rod/reels after my last trip's disaster and got a Shimano Calcutta 200 GTB and a decent rod to go with it. I love this thing. Within three casts I was able to get it more than 100% further and within 6 inches of where I want every cast. (minus the rare blacklash when I wasn't paying attention)

My sister has been asking to go, so we picked her up a license and headed to the beach. Got out there at about 11:30, fished the jetty and up and down the beach with Gulp ghost shrimp, Sandworms, and jerk baits. First hit came at about 2:30 into the harbor on my sister's line. Failed to set the hook, but the huge hit continued. Didn't take the second time either and the fish moved on. Tore the legs and antennae off the fake shrimp.

I was using a camo sandworm, boucning it along the bottom and hooked into something. Thought it might be kelp, but when I brought it up, it was a snail with red flesh. Fish on? :LOL:
Next cast, line gets a little heavier again, and I bring up another snail. This one with yellow flesh.

At 5, we decided to pack up and leave, but my sister wanted to walk down the beach. I put away all the gear except my new pole and the lure I had on. Casted while we walked, and hooked into a short hali.

Second trip, second hali, still no legal, but I am okay with that.

ghetto dad
04-28-2011, 05:47 PM
NICE job man....a few hits and a fish is much better than NO hits and NO fish!! lol...great job man....nice job on the snails too!!

GD

Troutman65
04-28-2011, 05:59 PM
Nice going on the halibut . Thanks for the report .:Cool:

murrieta angler
04-28-2011, 06:58 PM
Nice job Oban,
Only a matter of time before you get that legal and multi species in one day.
Robert
<><

smokehound
04-28-2011, 08:17 PM
Seal is a great place for halibut. Trenches tend to be common here, and the beach often drops down steeply.

The breakwall at the pier is often a good spot to target.

fishinfresh
04-28-2011, 08:18 PM
Nice stuff. Try using the sea cichaedas nickel size or smaller with an 18" min lead. should help against the snails.

fishshep
04-28-2011, 08:20 PM
Legal or Short, it,s all good :Smile:

lovefofish
04-28-2011, 08:54 PM
way to go man! thats an awsome day, calcutta's are great reels because if you drop it in the sand, send it to shimano and they will service for 15$ . Good job getting grip, will save alot of fish, and alot of haters.

p.s. thats not my thumb, just a photobucket image :Razz:

Newfishsmell
04-28-2011, 09:14 PM
Man i never catch anything on that Beach , nice to see
there's fish there.

Nice catch Oban

iLLest
04-28-2011, 11:40 PM
nice, keep it up, soon enough you'll start slammin those legals.