PDA

View Full Version : Bullfrog fishing at Harbor Park.

Surfer
04-28-2011, 03:28 PM
I wasn't sure where to post this but since it involves a city park lake I posted it here.

A buddy of mine hooked me up with a good sized tank. I already have a tank full of fish so I wanted to do something a little different a put a bullfrog in it. Harbor Park Lake is pretty much infested with bullfrogs. Sometimes I see people spearing them to take them home and eat them. I want to keep one as a pet so I don't want to hurt it and skin contact with that water is totally out of the question so I was thinking about trying to hook one with hook and line. Anyone ever try this.

bman90278
04-28-2011, 04:43 PM
I would think u would have to be careful at harbor lake when u bend over and pick up
a frog. It could be like picking up a bar of soap in county jail. Lmao

sweetfish
04-28-2011, 04:51 PM
I catch them every year at Barrett. They would come and attack my frog (Dean Rojas) while I am froggin for bass. You can also catch them flylining nightcrawlers to them. Have fun.

fishmounter
04-28-2011, 05:23 PM
Use a big BARBLESS hook (Flatten down the barb with pliers). Don't use nightcrawlers because the frog will swallow it really quick and you will kill it by hooking it in it's gullet. Just use any large plastic worm. Also I don't know how well a Bullfrog will survive in a tank full of water. They need to get out of the water periodically. It also will try to eat you fish. Bullfrogs are cool looking animals, but they don't make very good pets unless you have a large pond.

Surfer
04-28-2011, 05:48 PM
Use a big BARBLESS hook (Flatten down the barb with pliers). Don't use nightcrawlers because the frog will swallow it really quick and you will kill it by hooking it in it's gullet. Just use any large plastic worm. Also I don't know how well a Bullfrog will survive in a tank full of water. They need to get out of the water periodically. It also will try to eat you fish. Bullfrogs are cool looking animals, but they don't make very good pets unless you have a large pond.

It's going to be housed in a tank that is half land half water--aka a paludarium. I researched online what is required to raise one in captivity and they make interesting pets. It's going to be bad a s s.

fish-o-haulic
04-28-2011, 07:31 PM
It's going to be housed in a tank that is half land half water--aka a paludarium. I researched online what is required to raise one in captivity and they make interesting pets. It's going to be bad a s s.

If raising it doesnt turn out good you can always eat the legs. they taste like chicken if you fry them.

Ifishtoolittle
04-28-2011, 10:04 PM
If raising it doesnt turn out good you can always eat the legs. they taste like chicken if you fry them.

What doesn't taste like chicken? :LOL:

Surfer
04-28-2011, 11:03 PM
Just got back from the lake. Caught two and kept one. They are so easy to catch with hook and line. I used nightcrawlers. When they take it in their mouths they don't let go. I simply just reeled it up. I'll try to post pics tomorrow.

nelayan
04-28-2011, 11:24 PM
Big barbless hook and line, fish them at night, just blind their eyes with spotlight and snag them. Or just scoop them using net.

oakboy
04-28-2011, 11:30 PM
Pics! We want Pics! Sounds like a RAD aquarium or what ever you called it? Hope it went well.

<><
KP

DockRat
04-29-2011, 06:21 AM
I would think u would have to be careful at harbor lake when u bend over and pick up
a frog. It could be like picking up a bar of soap in county jail. Lmao

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f272/Sagebrush93/applause.gif

DockRat
04-29-2011, 06:25 AM

That water is contaminated. Supposed to start demolition of the lake very soon.
DR

fish-o-haulic
04-29-2011, 09:01 AM
That water is contaminated. Supposed to start demolition of the lake very soon.
DR

hey if this was texas we wouldve divoured that frog already from head to toe. hahaha

Sparky70
04-29-2011, 09:59 AM
Take em home and eat then, they are good.

Surfer
04-29-2011, 11:02 AM
Well I've seen people out there spearing them for dinner. The pier area is the easiest place to find and catch them. Just shine a bright flashlight down on the hydrilla and when you spot one drop your lure in front of its face. When it eats it simply reel it up because once it takes it inside its mouth it doesn't let go. A long-handled net should also work or if you are more barbaric you could spear them out as I've seen some people do there.

I personally wouldn't eat anything out of there, much less frogs, but if you are willing to chance it there are tons of them out there at night. Just come around dusk into the night hours and they can be easily caught using a variety of methods. Just make sure you bring some mosquito repellent and bring a buddy because it isn't the safest area to be out at night by yourself.

viking172
04-29-2011, 02:24 PM
topwater frog they love them

pelon951
04-29-2011, 03:39 PM
topwater frog they love them

yeah topwater frog is the best they will swallow it and do not let go.The hooks i dig into the plastic body just toss it near the bullfrog and it should immediatly jump on it and swallow it up always trips me out and you can do this during the day. I dont know about taken it home they sure are loud

Marley
04-29-2011, 03:57 PM
Pics! We want Pics! Sounds like a RAD aquarium or what ever you called it? Hope it went well.<><KP

X2. I bet that's an awesome-looking habitat.

dfisher
04-30-2011, 02:10 PM
does your butt hurt?

WE WANT PICS! WE WANT PICS!

DockRat
05-01-2011, 06:50 AM
Hey Surfer, You should try the drainage swamp on Ocean ave between Hawthorne and Anza & PCH and Lomita.
We used to go in there for giant frogs and tadpoles the size of golfballs. Go Ninga at sunset weekday time, 1 fence.

Also one in Wilmington next to Ecology Auto Wrecking on Wilmington Blvd between PCH and Lomita Blvd.
DR

bman90278
05-01-2011, 07:41 AM
Hey Surfer, You should try the drainage swamp on Ocean ave between Hawthorne and Anza & PCH and Lomita.
We used to go in there for giant frogs and tadpoles the size of golfballs. Go Ninga at sunset weekday time, 1 fence.

Also one in Wilmington next to Ecology Auto Wrecking on Wilmington Blvd between PCH and Lomita Blvd.
DR

That's a big swamp DR, U ever catch any fish in there?

b

DockRat
05-02-2011, 05:50 AM
Never fished one. You should try the Wilmington Drain that flows into Harbor Park.
Take PCH Turn on Dodge Ave before Harbor Park. Go to the end, park and take the trail down to the river/creek.
Nice and remote down in there, less chance of running into the gay guys meeting from Craigslist.

Occasionally some homeless, tweekers, gangst'a down there so bring weapons and a friend.
DR

Stormcrow
05-02-2011, 02:28 PM
This is a cool thread. I would LOVE to see pics of your rockin bullfrog. And I mean that in a very NON sexual way. Is it a big one? Those can get quite big. I was fishing a golf course one time and saw one the size of a volleyball NO SH**.

bman90278
05-02-2011, 05:59 PM
This is a cool thread. I would LOVE to see pics of your rockin bullfrog. And I mean that in a very NON sexual way. Is it a big one? Those can get quite big. I was fishing a golf course one time and saw one the size of a volleyball NO SH**.

Here u go, http://www.frogforum.net/careinfo/Pyxicephalus_adspersus/pyxicephalus-adspersus-african-bullfrog-wild-south-africa-veld-darryn-rogers-size-massive-huge-large-giant.jpg

Stormcrow
05-02-2011, 09:12 PM
Dood that is coool!

DockRat
05-03-2011, 06:52 PM
http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i225/raymaty/Retro%20Humor/calling.jpg

Here u go, http://www.frogforum.net/careinfo/Pyxicephalus_adspersus/pyxicephalus-adspersus-african-bullfrog-wild-south-africa-veld-darryn-rogers-size-massive-huge-large-giant.jpg

http://i678.photobucket.com/albums/vv144/mandalyn27/186.jpg
http://i403.photobucket.com/albums/pp118/Bunglebreath/Kids/Funny/gianttoad.jpghttp://i696.photobucket.com/albums/vv325/vanthu53/giant-frog-frogs-food.jpg
DR

bowler
05-03-2011, 08:52 PM
I wasn't sure where to post this but since it involves a city park lake I posted it here.

A buddy of mine hooked me up with a good sized tank. I already have a tank full of fish so I wanted to do something a little different a put a bullfrog in it. Harbor Park Lake is pretty much infested with bullfrogs. Sometimes I see people spearing them to take them home and eat them. I want to keep one as a pet so I don't want to hurt it and skin contact with that water is totally out of the question so I was thinking about trying to hook one with hook and line. Anyone ever try this.

I have done it before. I was on the east coast fishing some pond near my Grandfather's place when i got one. I told my friend watch this frog eat my plastic worm. He said no it will not is i cast it in front of him a move a few time and it jump and put the whole worm in it's month. Here is a picture of the frog on the hook.
http://fishingnetwork.net/forum4/attachment.php?attachmentid=20890&d=1267341691

troutking
05-03-2011, 09:37 PM
howd it go? see any other fish there?

troutking
05-03-2011, 09:37 PM

thats a cane toad DUH

smokehound
05-03-2011, 10:21 PM
thats a cane toad DUHNope, thats an african bullfrog. related to pacman frogs.

http://i696.photobucket.com/albums/vv325/vanthu53/giant-frog-frogs-food.jpgTHIS is a cane toad.

tacklejunkie
05-03-2011, 10:38 PM
mini bass jigs.
Got one last year at Fairmount. Never thought he would go for it. Waved it near him and it was on. Felt bad afterward. You don't wanna hook a frog you might keep as a pet. Or rather, you might end up having to keep and nurse a frog you hooked. lol

Thisfool
05-03-2011, 11:20 PM
um i dont know if you have your heart set on catching one or you just want one in general but the pet shop near my house sells bullfrog tadpoles for like $1.50. im kinda a animal lover and i just think it would be kinda f'ed up to kidnap one out of the wild and put him in a tiny lil tank to serve a life sentence with out the possibility of parole.

troutking
05-05-2011, 03:39 PM
um i dont know if you have your heart set on catching one or you just want one in general but the pet shop near my house sells bullfrog tadpoles for like $1.50. im kinda a animal lover and i just think it would be kinda f'ed up to kidnap one out of the wild and put him in a tiny lil tank to serve a life sentence with out the possibility of parole.

LMFAO.....its a frog.....collectors do this all the time with trop fish and what about zoos!!! HAHAHAHA

smokehound
05-06-2011, 05:09 PM
LMFAO.....its a frog.....collectors do this all the time with trop fish and what about zoos!!! HAHAHAHAMost animals acquired by zoos are generally captive-bred specimens or injured animals that cannot survive in the wild, or species illegal to own in the state seized from people.

It is true that alot of fish purchased at pet stores are taken from the wild, though..

Surfer
05-09-2011, 09:23 PM
Sorry no full tank shots yet as I haven't had the time to decorate it yet. But here's the frog:
http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm150/civicsurfer/Camilleswedding035.jpg

Ifishtoolittle
05-09-2011, 09:36 PM
Cool frog. What have you been feeding it?

Surfer
05-09-2011, 09:42 PM
Cool frog. What have you been feeding it?

Nightcrawlers, crickets, and minnows.

Ifishtoolittle
05-09-2011, 09:57 PM
Nightcrawlers, crickets, and minnows.

Sounds like this thing is going to be expensive to keep.

reservoir dog
05-10-2011, 04:38 PM
Cool pic but I hope your tank is large enough because it'd be pretty cruel to have this large frog in a small tank. It might be big enough for fish but small for the size of this frog. Does he have a name???

smokehound
05-10-2011, 08:33 PM
You're going to need UVa/b lighting for this guy.

other than that, bullfrogs are fairly sedentary, and would rather just sit and bask. A basking light is another necessity, as these frogs need a warm spot to properly digest their food. A GREAT food for bullfrogs is pinkie mice.

They dont even need to be live, just dangle one with some tongs, and he'll snatch it.

Thisfool
05-10-2011, 09:08 PM
LMFAO.....its a frog.....collectors do this all the time with trop fish and what about zoos!!! HAHAHAHA

lol yea ya super lame i know but what the other dude said is correct hardly any animals are caught wild and taken to zooz almost all were born in other zooz or were injured and are unable to to survive in the wild.

smokehound
05-10-2011, 09:18 PM
LMFAO.....its a frog.....collectors do this all the time with trop fish and what about zoos!!! HAHAHAHAAlso, I hadn't bothered to mention it.. but just because its a frog, doesn't mean it's worthless and not a precious life. Its attitudes like yours that wiped out the Carolina Parakeet, and the passenger pigeon.

troutking
05-10-2011, 09:30 PM
Also, I hadn't bothered to mention it.. but just because its a frog, doesn't mean it's worthless and not a precious life. Its attitudes like yours that wiped out the Carolina Parakeet, and the passenger pigeon.
Ur analogy does not make any sense...bull frogs are bred in captivity to be eaten, they arent going to go extinct over one frog lol.....n parakeets and pigeons are different theyre birds not some slimy old frog...Do uno how fast frogs reproduce,theyre nuisances in places...cant believe ur a fisherman...most be a strictly bass guy :)

fish-o-haulic
05-10-2011, 09:37 PM
Ur analogy does not make any sense...bull frogs are bred in captivity to be eaten, they arent going to go extinct over one frog lol.....n parakeets and pigeons are different theyre birds not some slimy old frog...Do uno how fast frogs reproduce,theyre nuisances in places

i can actually relate to that. My grandparents have a retention basin next to there house that the city nor the homeowners asscociation will take responsibility to drain. So every year around the same time of year for ten years thousand close to millions of these tiny frogs plague the neighborhood. they end up all over the grass and you cant step anywhere in the grass without stepping on one. if you leave your garage door open just long enough to park your car you have several of them already hopping in the garage. And dont even think about leaving your front door open to your house unless you want several unwanted visitors. These frogs will not go extinct unless all flies are swatted and all the water in the world is gone.

Surfer
05-10-2011, 09:47 PM
Ok PETA Hippies, I understand the sanctity of the lives of animals, especially those that are endangered or close to being, but this is hardly the case with the bullfrog at Machado Lake in Harbor Park. Kudos to you anyway for showing concern. But you don't have to worry about the bullfrog population at Machado Lake. Here's an excerpt taken from a newspaper article regarding bullfrogs at the lake:

"In and around the lake, the bullfrog population has exploded, Reed said, noting that there are literally "tens of thousands" of them. The water snakes they trapped and bagged often would regurgitate huge bullfrogs and tadpoles, Reed said."

"None of the frogs they saw were native to California, he said."

Here's the entire article: http://www.dailybreeze.com/news/ci_16173511?source=rss

Another source citing the incredible number of bullfrogs at the Machado Lake: http://www.fieldherpforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2507

Ifishtoolittle
05-10-2011, 11:06 PM
i can actually relate to that. My grandparents have a retention basin next to there house that the city nor the homeowners asscociation will take responsibility to drain. So every year around the same time of year for ten years thousand close to millions of these tiny frogs plague the neighborhood. they end up all over the grass and you cant step anywhere in the grass without stepping on one. if you leave your garage door open just long enough to park your car you have several of them already hopping in the garage. And dont even think about leaving your front door open to your house unless you want several unwanted visitors. These frogs will not go extinct unless all flies are swatted and all the water in the world is gone.

Man that's a lot of frog legs for the fryer. :ROFL: