PDA

View Full Version : Dana Point Jetty 4-22

KaliDawgFan
04-22-2007, 03:47 PM
Bullets and I decided to head out to Dana Point this morning for a change of scenery. We picked up some lugworms and anchovies and found a decent spot a little further down the jetty than we normally go. Bullets had more luck there than I did. He landed what we think is an opaleye perch, and shortly after landed some perch we can't identify. I finally hooked up with what we think may be a kelpfish? It went dead for a while and I moved down a little further. It's a good thing I did because the pile perch were out in full force. I also landed a nice-sized buttermouth perch that was red with a brownish tint. At one point I walked back to Bullets to get a picture taken, and a damn crow snuck in and stole all but three lugworms. I should've covered it though. We had more anyway. Well, later either the same or another damn crow flew off with the whole cup! I put the lid on it thinking they'd leave it alone. Not only that but some seagull feasted on the anchovies while Bullets had his back turned. I'm bringing a bb gun out next time. Over all it was a good day. We caught multiple species of fish and a couple we'd never caught before. Here are some pics of the fish.

Crappie Slayer
04-22-2007, 04:00 PM
Good stuff!

bullets_full
04-22-2007, 04:30 PM
Yeah bro.
I couldn't think of a better way to burn off a hangover. The fishing started to pick up just as we ran out of bait.

There was also some guy walking his timber wolf which was really cool. I've never seen a domesticated one.

sansou
04-22-2007, 05:17 PM
Great report and pics!

(Cute looking Senorita by the way!)

CatchthatTrout
04-22-2007, 07:34 PM
Way to go guys!

It was a good day today from the sea to the inland lakes for Team 57. :thumb:

Hawkeye5447
04-26-2007, 09:44 AM
Sounds like a good time i was over at the short jetty getting skunked. Stay away from the BB gun idea. I believe that its a federal offence to kill a seagul. Wish i could have seen the wolfe too.

spiceguy
04-26-2007, 01:30 PM
wtg, nice variety. Those are definately opaleyes and the unknowns maybe wrasses??? F---IN' gulls. Been fishin' for 50yrs & they STILL sneak up on me & nail my bait.

ghetto dad
04-26-2007, 02:08 PM
NICE job guys......

Sea Murda
04-26-2007, 02:23 PM
cool pics! :thumb:

gotta keep your bait covered at all times over there!

BakoBassin
04-26-2007, 02:53 PM
Isn't that one a shiner perch? The one you didn't know.

sansou
04-26-2007, 04:11 PM
I'm guessing walleye for the perch and senorita for the yellow slender one.

KaliDawgFan
04-26-2007, 06:10 PM
Greg and I thought walleye at first, but its eyes aren't really that big. I think it might be a shiner after all. We've caught them before, but they were really small. We just didn't recognize it. The yellow one is a senorita. I looked it up.

one_leg
04-26-2007, 06:31 PM
Nice looking fish in the first pic. The rest are just OK. j/k
I wish I knew someone who was willing to go all the way out to the end of those jetty's.
It's lonely out there fishing all by myself.

Nice report and thanks for including the pics also.

One_Leg

bullets_full
04-26-2007, 06:44 PM
Nice looking fish in the first pic. The rest are just OK

I agree 100% but I might be a little biased. We always catch a lot of juvenile fish at that spot but persistance will pay off some day.

Keep an eye out for our Corona report tomorrow night.

I'm catching a 20lb trout, 40lb catfish and 150lb sturgeon.

one_leg
04-26-2007, 06:53 PM
Keep an eye out for our Corona report tomorrow night.

I'm catching a 20lb trout, 40lb catfish and 150lb sturgeon.
I thought your gonna do the camping thing. See Rendezvous section.

bullets_full
04-26-2007, 07:48 PM
One_leg,

camping is on the edge of the lake and fishing is 24 hours there.

twin22s
04-27-2007, 02:15 AM
i fish that jetty about 2-4 times a week. usualy walk about half way to the second bend, the waves dont come as high past the first curve, and i like to get as close to the water as posible. was wondering when anyone was heading down there again. be nice to have someone to say hi to since usualy its just me and my white cowboy hat, if its not too windy. i fish mainly for bass and hali with small swimbaits but if i had some company and a case of beer i might just settle for some perch and a relaxing spot on a rock. hit me back up.

atomiie
04-28-2007, 12:08 PM
WTG, on opaleyes, senoritas and other fish.
They look beautifull.

Hitts0n
04-30-2007, 07:47 AM
:lol: