PDA

View Full Version : Fish Size for local charters off San Diego?

kzhlin
04-26-2011, 10:09 PM
Hey guys,

I am new to the sport of saltwater fishing. I am normally a bass guy. :Big Grin:

Anyways, what kind of fish should I expect from 1 day to 1.5 day trips from San Diego? what size too? I am aware of yellowfin and yellowtail in the summer.

Any tips and suggestions? I will be going pretty often during the summertime. So advice for some summer tuna, yellowtail, etc. fishing? Lures? Techniques? Tips! :Big Grin::Big Grin::Big Grin:

Thanks in advance!
Kevin

Cadillyak
04-26-2011, 11:11 PM
The 1-1.5 days usually get into good yellowtail action and see decent yellowfin as well. Lures depend on where the fish are. If they are surface, fly line an anchovy or sardine. I have found that lure wise however, nothing beats the iron. Tady and salas are good ones. Usually in a blue/ blue white pattern. U can use them both as surface iron as well as yo-yo them off of the bottom. Gets them every time. Another thing is when the captain gets you on a school of fish that are deep and says "let them go", its a race to the bottom. Usually the first lures down there get a hookup. At least that has been my experience. Good luck and look forward to your posts.

kzhlin
04-27-2011, 12:23 AM
Thanks man. Time for me to get onto the water!

CraigH
04-27-2011, 06:21 AM
If you've never fished iron before, there are two different kinds. Light or surface irons are made of aluminum and are used to cast out and retrieve close to the surface. Heavy irons are made of a heavier metal and are used for bottom or yo-yo fishing. The same design or model of iron can be a light or a heavy depending on what its made of.